JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #3,796 of 4,826
Yeah, at that price, it's definitely worth a shot. I look forward to your assessment when you get them. :thumbsup_tone3:

Actually was down to $37 so put in the order. Lol I guess I will find out for myself.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #3,798 of 4,826
I guess they really plasticky cheapy phones that sound good? $37 seems weird but hey I guess I will find out in a couple weeks after I get back from Jamaica.

Plasticy cheapie is fine as long as "it sounds soooooo good"

like KOSS stuff , lower end anyway

UR40 is like 20 bones but i use it to sleep with and it sounds pretty good and tip top shape still... though it feels so flimsy, its durable!

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #3,799 of 4,826
  Plasticy cheapie is fine as long as "it sounds soooooo good"

like KOSS stuff , lower end anyway

UR40 is like 20 bones but i use it to sleep with and it sounds pretty good and tip top shape still... though it feels so flimsy, its durable!

Oh, you have the UR40? As far as Koss goes, I have owned the KSC75, KTXPRO1, UR40, and UR55. The KTXPRO1 is easily my favorite. I often reach for it over far more expensive headphones.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #3,800 of 4,826

Oh, you have the UR40? As far as Koss goes, I have owned the KSC75, KTXPRO1, UR40, and UR55. The KTXPRO1 is easily my favorite. I often reach for it over far more expensive headphones.

Im gonna defo grab a ktxpro1 after hearing toooooooooooooooooooo much good things about it on here
i have the ksc (kramer mod/quarter mod), ur40, and dj100. I dont know if i will acquire 55s down the road. I had considered it.

Much Koss love

Yeah i have no issues whatever listening to music on any of them! Im sure KTX will not disappoint.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3,801 of 4,826

Im gonna defo grab a ktxpro1 after hearing toooooooooooooooooooo much good things about it on here
i have the ksc (kramer mod/quarter mod), ur40, and dj100. I dont know if i will acquire 55s down the road. I had considered it.

Much Koss love

Yeah i have no issues whatever listening to music on any of them! Im sure KTX will not disappoint.

I have owned 3 of those KTXPRO1's.  I still have one that my daughter uses.  I used it all throughout high school in the early 90's.  I believe it was called something else back then, but it's the same driver.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3,802 of 4,826
  I have owned 3 of those KTXPRO1's.  I still have one that my daughter uses.  I used it all throughout high school in the early 90's.  I believe it was called something else back then, but it's the same driver.

Do you just use it straight out of a portable/pc? Are there any specific juice boxes you found really tap into that potential?

I mean if you've been using them through 90s (great time for music) then surely you have some tricks up your sleeve

then i can avoid the guessing game
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #3,803 of 4,826

If it's a different enclosure, it can sound different even when the driver is the same, as is the case with the KTXPRO1 and KSC75.

Speaking of...I still usually use the KTX for music and videos. (At least while waiting for the Focal Elear to arrive.) The SZ2000 needs a lot of EQ experimentation to get the sound where I want it, whereas I never even equalize the KTX.

Do you just use it straight out of a portable/pc? Are there any specific juice boxes you found really tap into that potential?

I mean if you've been using them through 90s (great time for music) then surely you have some tricks up your sleeve

then i can avoid the guessing game
tongue.gif

I can plug mine into my laptop and get enough volume with maybe half of all the music I play.

I once used the KTX with a Pyle PHA40 amp. Its output impedance of 80 ohms gave it much crazier bass/impact, but messed up the sound too, and it doesn't have much power, so it distorted at high volume.

I also used it with the Creative Sound Blaster E1 DAC/amp and FiiO E11 Kilimanjaro amp, the latter of which is better.

I drive all my headphones with the Chord Mojo now, which is just fantastic.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #3,804 of 4,826

If it's a different enclosure, it can sound different even when the driver is the same, as is the case with the KTXPRO1 and KSC75.

Speaking of...I still usually use the KTX for music and videos. (At least while waiting for the Focal Elear to arrive.) The SZ2000 needs a lot of EQ experimentation to get the sound where I want it, whereas I never even equalize the KTX.

I can plug mine into my laptop and get enough volume with maybe half of all the music I play.

I once used the KTX with a Pyle PHA40 amp. Its output impedance of 80 ohms gave it much crazier bass/impact, but messed up the sound too, and it doesn't have much power, so it distorted at high volume.

I also used it with the Creative Sound Blaster E1 DAC/amp and FiiO E11 Kilimanjaro amp, the latter of which is better.

I drive all my headphones with the Chord Mojo now, which is just fantastic.

Oh thats somewhat good as I have an e11 rebranded under Xtrempro. Same chips/amps. It should be good for them then! Ksc75s/Ur40 I enjoy Sarah McLachlan, dont know why. But she sounds right to my ears on those more than my other cans, when she used to jam with her ex-hubby drummer on stage. Its got some KOSS sparkle which works. dj100 for tragically hip, not sure why again, but they sound right on them. To my ears anyway.

SZ1k for Twisted Insane!

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #3,805 of 4,826
I've read every page of this thread, loving it. As a thread, this is probably the most hilarious bunch of bass happy Cowboys in one collected spot on head fi, the kinda guys you'd kick it with and have a couple pints!

So what EQ software is most preferred these days? I'll running of a laptop connected to either an m9XX or DacPORT slim and if necessary I can amp with a Cayin C5 using the DAC from either source. The SZ1000 are undeniably an EQ necessary set of cans. I'm gonna try some of the posted EQ curves but honestly, I'd like to skip the whole sampling EQ software step and start with something legit/solid and go straight to EQ tuning.

Will anybody help me save some time with some recommendations? Thanks.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #3,806 of 4,826
I've read every page of this thread, loving it. As a thread, this is probably the most hilarious bunch of bass happy Cowboys in one collected spot on head fi, the kinda guys you'd kick it with and have a couple pints!

So what EQ software is most preferred these days? I'll running of a laptop connected to either an m9XX or DacPORT slim and if necessary I can amp with a Cayin C5 using the DAC from either source. The SZ1000 are undeniably an EQ necessary set of cans. I'm gonna try some of the posted EQ curves but honestly, I'd like to skip the whole sampling EQ software step and start with something legit/solid and go straight to EQ tuning.

Will anybody help me save some time with some recommendations? Thanks.

DMG EQuilibrium
EasyQ
Electri-Q
Equalizer APO
ReaEQ
ToneBoosters Equalizer
ToneBoostesrs FlX

Oops, was that too many options?
biggrin.gif

Honestly, though, you'll have to try 'em all out to find which you like best.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #3,807 of 4,826
The Cayin C5 is actually known as a good amp that can power both the SZ 1K's and 2K's. so if you already got that amp, no need to buy another one, cause you should have enough power there. In regards to software EQ, it really depends on what device your on. Computer? I highly recommend Equalizer APO if your using Windows. Its a system wide app, and it works amazingly, just remember when you juice up them frequencies, you gotta bring the gain down, or distortion and crackle lackle, will become your #1 enemy. If your going portable on your phone, I have had great luck with Neutron and Power Amp. Although I do believe that Neutron's EQ works a bit better, but out of the box you will only see 4 bands. I didn't realize until I went deep into the options that you can select a 10 band EQ, which is good, cause you get the real low 34 hertz slider all the way up to the impressive 16K slider.

Ultimately the best EQ is hardware based, as that way your not relying on your computer's or phones built in DAC, which in most cases is crap. I am using a vintage Realistic 12-band equalizer and this puppy can pump out the power, its got a mini transformer inside that would fool you by its size. But the fact that I have to put the output gain down to minus 16 tells you a lot lol. Its because if your already amping with your amp to the cans, you don't want to double amplify, otherwise here come crackle lackle. Yep, I agree, we are the saddest sons of b***** the worlds ever seen. :p But we like our bass way down low low low low low low low <<<---that was echo for draumatic effect. :D

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #3,808 of 4,826
Ultimately the best EQ is hardware based, as that way your not relying on your computer's or phones built in DAC, which in most cases is crap.

You can use software EQ with any external DAC. I use various VST equalizers in foobar2000 with the Chord Mojo and Chord's ASIO driver.

Hardware equalizers can introduce distortion and such that interferes with the sound quality, whereas (better) software equalizers do not. Hardware equalizers also limit you to certain frequency and gain options, whereas (better) software equalizers are fully customizable and have more advanced features.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #3,809 of 4,826
The Cayin C5 is actually known as a good amp that can power both the SZ 1K's and 2K's. so if you already got that amp, no need to buy another one, cause you should have enough power there. In regards to software EQ, it really depends on what device your on. Computer? I highly recommend Equalizer APO if your using Windows. Its a system wide app, and it works amazingly, just remember when you juice up them frequencies, you gotta bring the gain down, or distortion and crackle lackle, will become your #1 enemy. If your going portable on your phone, I have had great luck with Neutron and Power Amp. Although I do believe that Neutron's EQ works a bit better, but out of the box you will only see 4 bands. I didn't realize until I went deep into the options that you can select a 10 band EQ, which is good, cause you get the real low 34 hertz slider all the way up to the impressive 16K slider.

Ultimately the best EQ is hardware based, as that way your not relying on your computer's or phones built in DAC, which in most cases is crap. I am using a vintage Realistic 12-band equalizer and this puppy can pump out the power, its got a mini transformer inside that would fool you by its size. But the fact that I have to put the output gain down to minus 16 tells you a lot lol. Its because if your already amping with your amp to the cans, you don't want to double amplify, otherwise here come crackle lackle. Yep, I agree, we are the saddest sons of b***** the worlds ever seen. :p But we like our bass way down low low low low low low low <<<---that was echo for draumatic effect. :D

Yeah, my impression is that the Cayin C5 is battle proven. I don't expect the DacPORT Slim to have enough juice but think that maybe the m9XX might get me there. So I threw in the Cayin C5 for more of a last resort. I use the Cayin C5 wherever I go mobile to get that dynamic response and low end push on any headphone I take out even if I'm not EQing the music.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #3,810 of 4,826
DMG EQuilibrium
EasyQ
Electri-Q
Equalizer APO
ReaEQ
ToneBoosters Equalizer
ToneBoostesrs FlX

Oops, was that too many options? :D

Honestly, though, you'll have to try 'em all out to find which you like best.

Yeah, lots of choices. Do you have any comments off using each or rankings for the group based on your experience? I appreciate the starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back