JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #3,766 of 4,826

Man, what a difference. I used the EQ in MusicBee and it was not good. I got sloppy bass, but also noisy across the mids and highs. Maybe I'll try out Foobar too. For now though, I've turned off that MusicBee EQ and went back to my E5 EQ.

I did try out Foobar earlier today, liked its configurability, and its EQ didn't make the music sound horrible. It looks good too. Thanks to whoever posted the links and made me cheat on MusicBee, lol.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #3,769 of 4,826
I gave away both my sets of SZ2k stock pads and my SZ1k did not come with stock pads. If anyone has a set they don't mind letting go.... let me know please. sorry about begging for free stuff, but you can't exactly buy a set of sz stock pads.

I don't know how long it will be before a headphone can outdo proper reproduction of this song as you'd hear it on a proper stereo setup. Let's all hope carbon nanotubes last at least that long.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #3,770 of 4,826
WOW, I am gone for a little while, then I got 85 unread posts. Seems we have some new SZ monitors in the club now, nice! As everybody has been explaining in these 85 posts I have had to read, the SZ series cans require amplification and equalization. Since most DAC's in our computers and our phones suck, you can't expect self amping or EQ to work that well, cause your working with a crappy DAC. Best thing you can do is get an AMP that also does EQ built into it, thats perfect for portability not having more then two devices.

But if your like me, and your using your SZ cans for a full multimedia experience in the home, where the cans stay in the same room and do not go elsewhere, its best to have an external AMP and EQ box. I got my computer, tablet, and blueray player currently plugged into my tv. And I am using the HDMI output of my computer for the sound, so you can expect that sound quality to be better then that of the 3.5mm audio jack port in the computer. :wink:

I got all my inputs running into my TV. Then the sound ouputs through a digital optical cable, that runs into a FIO DAC, which converts the signal to RCA. From there, the RCA runs into my Realistic 12-band equalizer, where I got it set to sick levels of bass destruction. Then it outputs the EQ into a 5.1 surround sound speaker system. Incase I want to use my speakers, that is why I ran it into there.

The speaker system has a volume controlled 3.5mm ouput on the wired remote. The Fiio A3 amp that I am using is plugged into that port. The Fiio A3 amp is receiving power from a wall powered Anker 5-port USB charging unit, this supplies clean current to the AMP, so that I am not running off its battery. And as you have guessed, the SZ1000 cans are plugged into the amp. The bass boost switch is on but the difference is so slight you barely notice it, I've been told that the Fiio E12 amp has a more powerful bass boost switch.

Anyways, the amp is set to high gain as you have guessed as low gain is only for IEM's. And here are my EQ settings in my picture. Remember people, you will get severe distortion and or crackle if you raze eq and don't drop the gain down. Now with these settings, most of the time I don't hear distortion in anything. However, I was watching a show on Netflix recently that involved loud obnoxious dinosaurs in a show called Teranova recently, its got the guy from Avatar in it.

Well, those dinosaur yells were causing some distortion in my cans, but I didn't want to mess with my EQ settings just for one show so I said screw it. Dino going to be loud, nothing you can do about that, but put a few bullets into the screw*r and drop his ass. :p

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #3,771 of 4,826
However, I was watching a show on Netflix recently that involved loud obnoxious dinosaurs in a show called Teranova recently, its got the guy from Avatar in it.

I loved Terra Nova. Wish the series was longer.

I wear glasses and never wear them inside ear pads, so watching videos is cumbersome with most headphones. I use my trusty Koss KTXPRO1 for videos because I can wear my glasses normally without them even touching the headphones due to their unique design. With most other headphones, I have to move the frames out from and over the pads. Sometimes this is impossible, but thankfully the SZ2000 lets me do that. I'm planning on getting frameless Morpheus-style glasses that attach to my nose. That will really simplify my life. haha

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #3,772 of 4,826
OMG, talk about bass, you should watch the Matrix with your cans, the bass levels will make you pop in that movie. HEHE :D

I know what you mean, I wear glasses myself, and every over ear pair of cans press against the frames, and even more so with the extreme clamping force of the SZ cans! However, I've been wearing glasses for a long time, and so I am used to it.  Morpeus's glasses are cool, but I don't think they would work for someone like me. Sometimes I sweat and I can imagine them just sliding off my nose, and I work on small engines, so I can imagine just looking down at an engine, would have them flying off lol. They are cool glasses, but I wonder which pill I have to take before he gives me the secret to where he got them. :p

Neo wore bada** shades too man.

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #3,773 of 4,826
I have the JVC Esnsy. :sunglasses:

Problem with mine though is they're too big. They're the only headphones I've ever owned that I want to retract the sliders more and can't. They're not good for portable use for me because they slide off my head too easily and are loose. :sweat_smile:

Nice, thick bass sound, though, and I really like the unique look of them.

Has anyone listened to the 2000 and teh Esnsy HA-SR85's ??? if so can you tell me how they compare.. I had ordered from Japan on a whim the Esnsy headphones and I'm quite liking them and as something of a bass fan it has me curious about the 2000's now also..

Here are the HA-SR85's as I don't think a lot of people have seen these headphones..  I quite like them very portable friendly with the tangle free flat cable and lots of bass and non fatiguing highs..  these clamped waaay to hard at first I have been stretching them over a box for a while and it is pretty livable now.. but a lot of clamping pressure out of the box.

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #3,774 of 4,826
Easiest fix in the world and costs you no money, grow your hair out :D

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #3,775 of 4,826
Lol, well that assessment comes from a head with plenty of hair... in fact, my hair goes grows so thick when I get a haircut I almost have to have them use the thinning shears because I end up with a hair helmet with huge hair very quickly because my hair grows really fast. :joy:

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #3,776 of 4,826

Problem with mine though is they're too big. They're the only headphones I've ever owned that I want to retract the sliders more and can't. They're not good for portable use for me because they slide off my head too easily and are loose. :sweat_smile:

How big is your head? E.g what hat size you wear (7 3/8 as an example). How does bass compare to sz?

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #3,777 of 4,826

My head and ears are on the smaller side. The SZ2000 is large enough that I don't adjust the headband at all. Thankfully it fits me perfectly without being too large.

The Koss KTXPRO1 is small, but also tall, and even at the default headband setting it's still slightly too tall for me.

I have long hair and can say that it doesn't make much of a difference at all.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #3,778 of 4,826

How big is your head? E.g what hat size you wear (7 3/8 as an example). How does bass compare to sz?

my hat size is 7 3/4 .. and the Esnsy's are just too small for my head.. the clamp is quite gnarly ... I did stretch them out over a box for several days here so far.. but still these are not comfortable for very long... bummer as the sound sig is nice ..  the headband is pretty poorly padded also which doesn't help the situation at all.

more most men of any size I'd probably suggest giving these a miss... or to the mrs.. =p

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #3,779 of 4,826
Well I thought all men liked having a tight one to experience :p

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #3,780 of 4,826

so seriously what you think of these headphones ? Have you amped them? Audiophiles rip the bass on these as bloaty, but say the mids and treble are dope. Was wondering what you thought of em. I can pick up a new pair at $57 and am extremely tempted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back