JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #3,496 of 4,826
So does your phone support Power Amp, and if so, why come you no use that one (out of curiosity)?   It's practically legendary from what i've read.  Then again, Neutron gets rave reviews as well.

Yeah, I have the LG G5, it supports PowerAmp, and I own the app as well. It's great too, but it is lacking network source support. I use my phone whenever we are out back BBQ'ing or just sitting around to access all of my music on my NAS box inside via Neutron and play it to bluetooth speakers outside. I can also use Neutron to FTP with my server while away from the house. With PowerAmp I'm limited to what's on my phone/MicroSD card. That and Neutron is just unbelievably user configurable. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #3,497 of 4,826
Thanks dude! Appreciate it bud! Yes I love my Realistic EQ, it rocks! So if you amp and pre-amp eq the cans, they put out more then a night with a lady if you know what I mean lol. I only have the SZ1K's though, some have both but youd spend over 300 to get them both so ya lol. And the Fio A3 has a lot of power for how small it is. The Fio E12 is quite a bit bigger.

I can imagine.   While I wouldn't say no if someone handed me that hardware EQ, with all my DACs and professional quality software EQs/Compressors/etc.  I wonder if it would make a difference.  Cuz as is, all is well.

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #3,500 of 4,826
I got them back awhile ago but my brother has had them since.  I took them back this thanksgiving and told him "THANKS for GIVING them back...." 
tongue.gif

Also for some reason I never posted or sub'ed this thread so I thought I just post something in here.

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #3,501 of 4,826
They say that the SZ2K's can really kick your a**, however in my experience, I say the SZ1K's can really kick my a** :wink: Its all about amping and EQ, the cans do the rest.

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #3,504 of 4,826
Any tips for replacing the headphone pads? Never done it before!

Its easy, no clips to pull off. Grab the stock pads from the inside and pull it forwards you. You'll see that it just slips on. Make sure your just pull on the pads itself. After you pull off just slip the new ones on. Search youtube, hawaiibadboy made a video of the process

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #3,506 of 4,826
Christmas time everyone!!!

Jvc SZ2000
Oppo HA-2 DAC/Amp
HM5 replacement pads

What's the best way to do a 30+ hour break in?
smily_headphones1.gif

I've done both the burn-in & pad replacement with the HZ1K's. Here's my advice:

Burn-in
1. Let's assume a laptop or PC will be your music source.
2. Then I put a folder on my desktop, and into that folder I put 4-5 folders of burned files from CDs, different styles: 1 folder is world music/AfroPop; another is reggae w/heaviest basslines I can find: another is classical; etc.
3. Then set your player to repeat-play, after selecting the files in one of the folders.
    NOTE: I don't use playlists, but if you do, then go for it...probably easier that way.
4. I also put 2 "noise" mp3s in each folder. These files were given to me a pal on this string (thanks, @fickennein). So whenever I play that folder's contents (wav files + these 2 mp3's), they play on repeat as long as I want.

Dropbox link to those 2 mp3's: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8jzzm1imjpzu8nj/AABV5apCBU6Rug4NcWDZPMzMa?dl=0

5. Then connect the DAC/amp to laptop or PC via USB (the usual drill). Then plug in the JVC's.
6. I like to burn in headphones w/a bit move volume than I comfortably listen to. So cue up any old song/file and adjust the DAC/amp (if I recall, it has a volume pot) so the JVC's are uncomfortably loud, but nowhere near blowing up.
7. Then let 'er rip. I burned in my JVC's for ~200 hrs.

Final Thoughts: Everyone's head size is different. Mine is large & I found the JVC's clamping pressure a bit much. So when I burned them in, I put them around the thick part of a firm sofa pillow + a folded towel. That stretched the headphone out a little wider than my head...also made the sound coming out of them very hard to hear.

Also, don't change pads 'til after they burn in. No sense compressing your new HM5's any more than necessary.

Changing pads
I did it the old-fashioned way, where after you take off the old ones (easy), you thread the pleather attachment "lip" (extra fabric circling the back of each earpad) onto the earcup using the little groove made for that purpose--then carefully rotating the pad as more and more of the lip gets pulled into the groove where it goes. This method works, but it takes care, and if you put extreme turning pressure on the pads, it's theoretically possible to tear the fabric.

I saw an amazing video last night where the owner of ZMF Headphones showed his method of attaching pads: he turns them inside out (by stretching that back fabric forward, over the outside of the pad). Then he placed the inside-out pad on the earpad, exactly where it will go; and while continuing to hold the inside fabric of the pad against the driver, starts pulliing that inside-out "lip" back over the groove of the faceplate. Once he got the lip stretched out around the edge of the faceplate in the manner, just pulling the pad slightly away from the earcup "seated" the lip in the groove where it belongs. Neat.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #3,507 of 4,826
@olddude Thanks! I'm looking forward to being a member :wink:

@Pharmaboy

Damn I did the pad swap already, managed to figure it out after watching youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxYxgo_PMVs
I don't think I'm going to bother putting back to stock just for the burn-in. Surely its not that much extra compression? :)

Burn-in
I'll create a folder with mp3's (flac actually!) and perform your burn-in steps with a spare laptop I can setup and leave in the lounge.. how am I not going to listen to the headphones for 300 hours?? Or is that 300 + listening time? :) excuse my ignorance!

Great extra advise about stretching / muffling with a pillow, I think I will take that advice!

Cant wait to finish work today and have a listen! Now to figure out some nice EQ settings to use with Spotify / Poweramp :)

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #3,508 of 4,826

@Pharmaboy

Damn I did the pad swap already, managed to figure it out after watching youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxYxgo_PMVs
I don't think I'm going to bother putting back to stock just for the burn-in. Surely its not that much extra compression? :)

Burn-in
I'll create a folder with mp3's (flac actually!) and perform your burn-in steps with a spare laptop I can setup and leave in the lounge.. how am I not going to listen to the headphones for 300 hours?? Or is that 300 + listening time? :) excuse my ignorance!

Great extra advise about stretching / muffling with a pillow, I think I will take that advice!

Cant wait to finish work today and have a listen! Now to figure out some nice EQ settings to use with Spotify / Poweramp :)

Not 300 hrs--I burned mine in for 200 hrs (~10 days if you do it F.T.). But there's no "science" to this, no right or wrong. I was being conservative by going longer. Others would burn-in for 75 or 100 hrs, then start listening.

As far as not listening, hope you have at 1 other pair of headphones to "take the edge off" in the meantime (!)

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #3,509 of 4,826

@Pharmaboy

Burn-in

oops--had an error in last  reply. 200 hrs roughly equals 8 days of F.T. burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back