JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #3,166 of 4,826
It's all about learning more bro! I came here because I had a dream. I would hear online about headphones like the HD650 and K701 (This was awhile back lol) and the way people described them...it was as if they were magic! So I knew on day I had to know what that felt like. I started my journey low but now I'm here with all my equipment and it's become one of my favorite hobbies.

I also always like listening to that vintage equipment though! They tend to have interesting sound signatures.

Also...at the airport hahaha

That s*** is legit yo, your doing a little skull crushing at the air port, that auda make air plane noise seem like a walk in a park when your done! Glad your enjoying them 2000's, we sure do have some big cans for over ears don't we lol. I wonder if you ever get any lookers at he air port. I gotta tell ya, if you ever go plus 20DB in the 30 hertz to 60 hertz range with those, don't be surprised when a heavy bass hitter track really wakes you up in the morning, your coffee might go flying hehe!
jecklinsmile.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #3,167 of 4,826
Them things look dope. They big phones, but who cares? Headphones went out of "style" awhile ago anyway with cats that were in it for fashion accessories.

Every once in awhile I rock the 2k's when I'm walking the dogs. Love em. Very addictive bass. Could care less if people think I look like I'm landing fighter jets on an aircraft carrier. Lol.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #3,168 of 4,826
Hey all,

Without reading through 200 pages of info in this thread (I plan to do that over the next week or so), is anyone able to tell me how these compare to the Yamaha Pro 500, in mid-treble range ? I'm looking to replace my Yamaha's as the head-band has snapped and are no longer under warranty, and the sz2000's look impressive for a bass-head like me !

They will be driven with a Firestone Audio Fireye HDB (I LOVE this headphone amp!!!!) via Samsung S6 with flac audio generally.

A brief through this thread indicates they're quite well suited to electronic/hiphop music which would be 85%+ of my listening, the other ~15% could literally be anything from Dire Straits to something classical

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #3,169 of 4,826
The SZ2000's and SZ1000's would not be suitable for classical music. When you listen to classical music, you really want headphones which have excellent sound stage, so that you can hear all the instruments in the orchestra cleanly. While it is true you can EQ these headphone to raise the high's and the mids, and maybe lower the low range to try and listen to classical music, I think the reduction of sound stage due to being a closed back design will still hinder you from having a excellent listening experience.

The 1000's and 2000's are primarily meant for more bass driven music, hence why they are so popular among bassheads like myself. Since you mention 85% of your music listening will be hip hop, I think you would do well to purchase the 2000's. If you really want a good listening experience with classical and or acoustic guitar music, I suggest you pickup the Audio Technica 900x or the Sunnheizer 598 special addition.

Just answered your post while listening to some fan made dubstep with the volume cranked up on my SZ1000's, feels like I am in the club and I just don't give a screw, my kind of listening experience.
gs1000.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #3,170 of 4,826
Yeah I have a couple different headphones and while I love the everloving screw out of my SZ2k.... They are not what I pick when I want to listen to classical. Unless we got some Wagner style double bass solos going.

Sep 2, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #3,171 of 4,826
Oh I'm definitely a bass head.. In my bedroom I have two Velodyne SPL 1200 ultras for example :xf_eek:

I think the classical expression was to just find a wide range of example, you know for those days where people give you a track to listen to, I guess I can just restrict that to my hifi setup.

Call me nuts but I'm going to daily drive these for out and about walking.. Now to find the best place that will ship them to me in New Zealand as they aren't available here

I'm down for some of that "I'm in a club and don't give a screw feeling :D

I see a bit of talk regarding replacement pads as these look quite thin, what are people's preferences? HM5?

Edit : hmm seeing these don't have a replaceable cable is a bit of a worry for me, as I like to skip tracks easily and having a button on my headphone cable to do that really makes life nicer than getting out my phone all the time when walking

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #3,172 of 4,826
Oh I'm definitely a bass head.. In my bedroom I have two Velodyne SPL 1200 ultras for example
redface.gif

I think the classical expression was to just find a wide range of example, you know for those days where people give you a track to listen to, I guess I can just restrict that to my hifi setup.

Call me nuts but I'm going to daily drive these for out and about walking.. Now to find the best place that will ship them to me in New Zealand as they aren't available here

I'm down for some of that "I'm in a club and don't give a screw feeling
biggrin.gif

I see a bit of talk regarding replacement pads as these look quite thin, what are people's preferences? HM5?

Edit : hmm seeing these don't have a replaceable cable is a bit of a worry for me, as I like to skip tracks easily and having a button on my headphone cable to do that really makes life nicer than getting out my phone all the time when walking

Yep, sometimes you just need to crank up the volume, zone out the rest of the world, and blast your ears. Yes, the HM5 brainwaves pleather or velore pads are your available options for replacement. My biggest issue with the SZ1K's is the clamping force is just too much. And unlike some headphones where you can bend the headband to lesson the clamping force, you can't do that with these, they don't want to bend. I am not really sure why JVC chose to make these like that, the only thing I can think of is they probably thought that a 16 ounce set a cans would fall of your head if they didn't lol.

I haven't replaced my pads yet, but I probably should soon, because after wearing my headphones for like 8-hours, my ears are pretty raw lol. Just an FYI, these cans were not designed for on the go use, thats why you don't have the removable cord, plus all the added weight, you better do some neck exercises if your going to use them on the go lol. Also the cord is very short with the SZ line of cans, so I just don't see how its going to reach your phone in your pants pocket without pulling on your head while you walk.

If you want my advice, get some on ear's that have a removable cable and weigh in around 12 ounces or less. I like the AKG line cause they make some good headphones in that market. JVC also has their HAM line of cans you might be interested in as well for on the go use. Its up to you what you want to do, I personally however wouldn't try to use the SZ line for on the go use.

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #3,173 of 4,826
HI guys, i need an advice.
After reading a dozen pages i come to the conclusion that i want a JVC SZ1000 but i have not yet figured out what is the amp i need.
From what i understand the most recommended amps are the Fiio E12 and the Cayin C5. I dont really need a portable amp since i will use the headphone with my desktop (with Asus xonar DX) for music and gaming.
Here in Italy i can buy the Fiio E12 for 139€, the Cayin C5 for 149€ but i found that Schiit Europe sell directly the Magni 2 for 129€. 
Looking to the spec. the magni 2 seem better than the other 2, but in term of bass boost is still the fiio e12 the best choice?

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #3,174 of 4,826
After reading a dozen pages i come to the conclusion that i want a JVC SZ1000 but i have not yet figured out what is the amp i need.
From what i understand the most recommended amps are the Fiio E12 and the Cayin C5. I dont really need a portable amp since i will use the headphone with my desktop (with Asus xonar DX) for music and gaming.
Here in Italy i can buy the Fiio E12 for 139€, the Cayin C5 for 149€ but i found that Schiit Europe sell directly the Magni 2 for 129€. 
Looking to the spec. the magni 2 seem better than the other 2, but in term of bass boost is still the fiio e12 the best choice?

IMO get the amp you want and use EQ instead of the built in bass boost.

i love the C5 to death but my current amp (bMac 3CH) has no bass boost. regardless i get more than adequate bass levels with heavy EQ.

I am not a big fan of the Magni but it is still a good quality amp. If you don't need portability, there might be a couple other amps in your price range.

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #3,175 of 4,826

For the record, I can't be sitting still with SZ2k's level of bass pounding my ears. I assumed that was the case for everyone with portable amps, or that they actually take their cans outside. If that's not the case for you, more power from a desktop amp would be better.

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #3,176 of 4,826
I have the Fiio A3 portable amp, which I am using as a desktop amp by keeping it plugged into a clean power 5-port Anker wall charger. I was told that by going with a portable amp, I at least have the option of taking it with me if I so ever wish. It doesn't have a very strong bass boost, I mean it does work, but its a subtle increase. I've been told that the Fiio E12 has a stronger base boost but I couldn't afford a 100 dollar portable amp. I was able to get the A3 for around 50 bucks I think. And most people should be able to get anything anywhere online, so don't even bother checking with your local outlets if its anything like America. Over here you can search all you want locally and all you will find is the same standard BS that everybody else sells, which is a whole lot of nothing! Its the whole reason why brick and mortar stores are going the way of the dinosaur, they just can't compete when online companies who carry everything you'd ever want. Its a big reason why Radio Shack died.

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #3,177 of 4,826

IMO get the amp you want and use EQ instead of the built in bass boost.

i love the C5 to death but my current amp (bMac 3CH) has no bass boost. regardless i get more than adequate bass levels with heavy EQ.

I am not a big fan of the Magni but it is still a good quality amp. If you don't need portability, there might be a couple other amps in your price range.

So now my preference are for the Magni 2. But what are the other amps i can choose?

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #3,178 of 4,826
  So now my preference are for the Magni 2. But what are the other amps i can choose?

I was going to say Garage1217 but if you are in europe they might end up being too $ for you to be worth it. In that case not sure what else is available in that price range.You could always get a bMac (owned) or VE Runabout (never owned) and maybe custom order it with no battery for a lower price, as the battery is optional on those models anyway.

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #3,179 of 4,826

I was going to say Garage1217 but if you are in europe they might end up being too $ for you to be worth it. In that case not sure what else is available in that price range.You could always get a bMac (owned) or VE Runabout (never owned) and maybe custom order it with no battery for a lower price, as the battery is optional on those models anyway.

I dont find the bMac and VE Runabout is only avaible on aliexpress for 98$ (it easy become 110€ or more with custom fees) with 24-42 days to ship, not really good even if is safe. The garage1217 "project starlight" , the cheapest, is beautiful but is on ebay for 143 + 45€ for shipment.
I think i'm going for Magni 2 since is the cheapest and is still enough.

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #3,180 of 4,826
  I dont find the bMac and VE Runabout is only avaible on aliexpress for 98$ (it easy become 110€ or more with custom fees) with 24-42 days to ship, not really good even if is safe. The garage1217 "project starlight" , the cheapest, is beautiful but is on ebay for 143 + 45€ for shipment.
I think i'm going for Magni 2 since is the cheapest and is still enough.

bMac is from Bengkel Macro. It is $115 usd + shipping, so should be a little over 100 euro. I use one every day and can confirm they make SZ rattle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back