JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #3,196 of 4,826

https://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAMR55X-Headphones-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00C1TBXV8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473121237&sr=8-2&keywords=jvc+ham55x

Not sure what new SZ owners should do for pads if the 55X is discontinued...

Glad I got the pads from you before these were all gone :wink: 

I can say that it's a world's difference in comfort from stock to the 55x's pads.

Yes, lucky you, I'd have to pay like 50 bucks in order to get those pads ugg lol

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #3,197 of 4,826
  Glad I got the pads from you before these were all gone :wink: 

I can say that it's a world's difference in comfort from stock to the 55x's pads.

i actually like the stock, more though, as the bass is filtered through the narrow pads, directly to the earcanal, it doesnt seem to ideal, as it hurts more, didnt experience a so large quantity of bass improvement, as the their not filtered through the around the pads, them-self so much,
the bass holes, are in the middle and it seems like more a flickering, side effect of the inner area of the pads,

if they were round it would have been better

it a pity they didnt make the bass ports, on a broader area and a more filtered system for the tweeter or bass

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #3,198 of 4,826
i actually like the stock, more though, as the bass is filtered through the narrow pads, directly to the earcanal, it doesnt seem to ideal, as it hurts more, didnt experience a so large quantity of bass improvement, as the their not filtered through the around the pads, them-self so much,
the bass holes, are in the middle and it seems like more a flickering, side effect of the inner area of the pads,

if they were round it would have been better

it a pity they didnt make the bass ports, on a broader area and a more filtered system for the tweeter or bass

I should probably elaborate that I don't hate the stock pads, but originally I didn't plan on getting the 55x pads until I had the cans for awhile and found that they began to get uncomfortable after extended use. Initially I thought the pads were fine when I first got them but after a few hours of constant use I found myself having to readjust them quite often. Since switching to the 55x pads I don't seem to have that issue.

TLDR stock pads won't be a deal breaker for these amazing cans but the 55x pads just make em even better.

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #3,199 of 4,826
The 1000s are okay with stock pads but highly improved with different pads. The 2000s are a mess with the stock pads and a revelation with different pads. It is possible to enjoy the 2000s with stock pads, sure, but take my word for it that it's like having a whole new set of headphones once you swapped those pads. I ignored this piece of advice from HBB for months in the Extreme bass club and after a couple months with my SZ's i was posting about how much I hated them and was gonna get rid of them. HBB was like, "you're still using stock pads? What change those and report back." so that's what i did, and i had to report back that made way more difference than I thought possible. SZ2k with non stocks for life.

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #3,200 of 4,826
  The 1000s are okay with stock pads but highly improved with different pads. The 2000s are a mess with the stock pads and a revelation with different pads. It is possible to enjoy the 2000s with stock pads, sure, but take my word for it that it's like having a whole new set of headphones once you swapped those pads. I ignored this piece of advice from HBB for months in the Extreme bass club and after a couple months with my SZ's i was posting about how much I hated them and was gonna get rid of them. HBB was like, "you're still using stock pads? What change those and report back." so that's what i did, and i had to report back that made way more difference than I thought possible. SZ2k with non stocks for life.

I've also been ignoring that piece of advice for quite some time now. That's due to the JVC M55X pads looking very similar to ATH M50X pads, which were extremely uncomfortable on me. How large is the opening of the JVC M55X pads in comparison to say...the Brainwavz HM5 pads (which I have on my SZ2ks currently)?

On a side note, the SZ2k stock pads on the Sony MA900 are wonderful. I'm actually getting bass rumble close to that of the SZ2k. Though that may be due in part to the HM5 pads on the SZ2k absorbing much of the impact.

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #3,201 of 4,826
  I've also been ignoring that piece of advice for quite some time now. That's due to the JVC M55X pads looking very similar to ATH M50X pads, which were extremely uncomfortable on me. How large is the opening of the JVC M55X pads in comparison to say...the Brainwavz HM5 pads (which I have on my SZ2ks currently)?

On a side note, the SZ2k stock pads on the Sony MA900 are wonderful. I'm actually getting bass rumble close to that of the SZ2k. Though that may be due in part to the HM5 pads on the SZ2k absorbing much of the impact.

I don't have any HM5 pads around to show you, but i've had several different HM5 pads which ranged from less open to more open. The 55x pads are actually quite open. I doubt you'd have complaints going to the 55x pads,

I agree the stock pads are actually good on many other headphones. One of my friends preferred the 55x with 2000 pads to a 55x with stock pads, so I let him take it for free
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #3,202 of 4,826
Anyone have any luck with a phone equalizer? Sometimes it's annoying to know I have so much headroom for volume on my phone but not a good enough EQ to take advantage :frowning2:

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #3,204 of 4,826
Anyone have any luck with a phone equalizer? Sometimes it's annoying to know I have so much headroom for volume on my phone but not a good enough EQ to take advantage
frown.gif

I generally don't have a whole lot of luck with phone equalizers, this is because they use your phone's preamp to make the changes. And since your phones preamp sucks, they usually have the oppisette effect of what you are trying to accomplish with them. Having said that however, I think that Power Amp has the best EQ in it that I've tried so far on my phone, it still doesn't replace a real external eq however. I just got my external eqaulizer yesterday, was playing around with it for awhile after I did some cleaning on the sliders, I am amazed how hard my cans hit when combined with that EQ and my Fiio A3 amp. lol
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818146/a-solution-for-those-looking-to-equalize-their-audio#post_12847365

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #3,205 of 4,826
I have been using power amp, with good results. Wanna try jetaudio sometime, and I keep debating if rooting my phone for Viper4Android is worth it. Hear good things and my phone is easy to root, but don't know if it would make that big of a difference.

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #3,206 of 4,826
  I have been using power amp, with good results. Wanna try jetaudio sometime, and I keep debating if rooting my phone for Viper4Android is worth it. Hear good things and my phone is easy to root, but don't know if it would make that big of a difference.

Be very careful rooting your phone. If you don't do it right, you will brick your phone, which is not covered under warranty, and depending on how expensive your phone is, getting it replaced can be a real b***

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #3,207 of 4,826
Yeah I'm not rooting my phone LOL. I already use Poweramp and I just turn the bass knob up.

This is about good enough for most things. My phone is an LG V10 and I got an adapter to trick the phone into thinking it's using aux out so I get access to the amp even on low impedance phones. Any recommendations for settings?

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #3,208 of 4,826
The V10 + SZ2000 combo is a lot better than I thought it would be. The V10 can also make the 2000 rumble lightly which I was impressed by. Nothing like using a powerful amp, but it does a lot better on its own than I thought any phone or DAP could. I was impressed by that.

I am boxing up my SZ2000 to send it all the way to indonesia so De'Mun can put a custom cable on it
biggrin.gif
it will be $55 for the recable job, $35 for shipping back home, and whatever shipping to Indonesia is (probably $50)

It will be a sad few weeks without any SZ here, but I have enough other headphones I will be able to survive...

https://www.facebook.com/demuncustomcable/?fref=ts

Not sure whether to go blue or red... leaning red.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #3,209 of 4,826
  The V10 + SZ2000 combo is a lot better than I thought it would be. The V10 can also make the 2000 rumble lightly which I was impressed by. Nothing like using a powerful amp, but it does a lot better on its own than I thought any phone or DAP could. I was impressed by that.

I am boxing up my SZ2000 to send it all the way to indonesia so De'Mun can put a custom cable on it
biggrin.gif
it will be $55 for the recable job, $35 for shipping back home, and whatever shipping to Indonesia is (probably $50)

It will be a sad few weeks without any SZ here, but I have enough other headphones I will be able to survive...

https://www.facebook.com/demuncustomcable/?fref=ts

Not sure whether to go blue or red... leaning red.

Go for red since it'll match the red on those pads :wink:

I'm actually making my own custom cables for two of my cans but I debated about taking apart my SZ's to do the same but I'm too worried about breaking them xD

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #3,210 of 4,826
The SZ's are not too hard to work with, i have recabled one set with a "Y" style cable so one cable comes out of either side, but it is kind of ugly and i never made it not-ugly...

If you wanted to do a single ended wire like stock it would be easier to make it look "proper" however even though I know I could do it myself again I am more excited to get a De'Mun SZ2000 than anything I could make myself
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back