JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #751 of 4,826
  Just got a Fiio E12. Will receive it possibly next weekend.

I found out that my current ALC889 soundcard is unreliable at high volumes. When I set my Fiio E5 amp volume to low and raise my soundcard volume near 100%, everything is distorted. I get to change my soundcard this week so it's all good.

I was about to post a "HELP ME" post because I cannot get the cans to hit as hard with my Audigy 2ZS like with my amp. It will go low but at high volume it is thin. You guys say it is no difference so I need some lessons. Amp v.s. soundcard with great eq software is not getting me results like yours?

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #753 of 4,826
Anyone on here heard the Fostex TH-600's and the SZ 2000's ?
How do they compare ?

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #754 of 4,826
Could these be properly amped by a Vamp Verza? the VV's impedance output is quite high at 10 Ohms so that makes me worry a bit, but VV manual indicates that it can power headphones from 16 ohms and over. Still though, did anyone try these with a VV?

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #755 of 4,826
***Oops just realised I posted this in the wrong thread***

The sz extends further in the sub bass region 30hz or less. The TH600 sounds weaker in this region but there is still enough there to enjoy low bass hip hop music. The TH600 are in a different class altogether for everything else. The bass control, bass texture is better on the TH600. The mids of the TH600 is vastly clearer, coherent, so much smoother and there is absolutely no intrusion of the mids into the bass and vice versa, with the SZ you can hear some midbass eating into the mids. The highs on the TH600 are very extended and the cymbals sound so alive with them. Some say they are sibilant but I don't hear it at all, it's just so clear and sparkly. In comparison the SZ is really rolled off. Although both are closed cans, the TH600 sound very spacious in comparison to the SZ which is typical of a closed can. Funny that the TH600 sounds to me like it has a wider soundstage than even my open cans the HE500 and HD600. Just a note, the impression is a comparison so it may seem exaggerated because they are against each other. One last thing, there is so much more detail retrieval from the TH 600 in comparison to the SZ. Heck I hear more detail from the TH600 than my HE500s.

Overall, the TH600 is a bass head can that retains all the hallmarks of an audiophile headphone. I can't say that about the SZ, there is definitely something there for your extreme bass head because it is like strapping 18 inch subwoofers to your head. But there's just something lacking in the other frequencies which I needed the SZ to have in order for me to keep it. If only the mids and highs were even as clear as my $69 Takstar Pro 80s and the mid bass didn't eat into the mids so much but still retain that thunderous sub bass rumble, they would be keepers.

Sorry to offend anyone. Just my humble views

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #756 of 4,826
The sz extends further in the sub bass region 30hz or less. The TH600 sounds weaker in this region but there is still enough there to enjoy low bass hop hop music. The TH600 are in a different class altogether for everything else. The bass control, bass texture is better on the TH600. The mids of the TH600 is vastly clearer, coherent, so much smoother and there is absolutely no intrusion of the mids into the bass and vice versa, with the SZ you can hear some midbass eating into the mids. The highs on the TH600 are very extended and the cymbals sound so alive with them. Some say they are sibilant but I don't hear it at all, it's just so clear and sparkly. In comparison the SZ is really rolled off. Although both are closed cans, the TH600 sound very spacious in comparison to the SZ which is typical of a closed can. Funny that the TH600 sounds to me like it has a wider soundstage than even my open cans the HE500 and HD600. Just a note, the impression is a comparison so it may seem exaggerated because they are against each other. One last thing, there is so much more detail retrieval from the TH 600 in comparison to the SZ. Heck I hear more detail from the TH600 than my HE500s.

Overall, the TH600 is a bass head can that retains all the hallmarks of an audiophile headphone. I can't say that about the SZ, there is definitely something there for your extreme bass head because it is like strapping 18 inch subwoofers to your head. But there's just something lacking in the other frequencies which I needed the SZ to have in order for me to keep it. If only the mids and highs were even as clear as my $69 Takstar Pro 80s and the mid bass didn't eat into the mids so much but still retain that thunderous sub bass rumble, they would be keepers.

Sorry to offend anyone. Just my humble views

This is a feedback thread. This is not a V-Moda fanboy v.s. flamer thread.
deadhorse.gif

You owned these...you can say whatever the **** you like :)

I took mine into the wild yesterday since they are part of my portable rig. They did fine and thunder ****ed everybody
These are not Fostex.
But nothing hits harder. 
When i find a harder hitter I'll buy them on the spot
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #757 of 4,826
Oops just realised I posted my previous post in the wrong thread. Might still be relevant so I'll leave it. Sorry

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #758 of 4,826
   This is a feedback thread. This is not a V-Moda fanboy v.s. flamer thread.
deadhorse.gif

You owned these...you can say whatever the **** you like :)

I took mine into the wild yesterday since they are part of my portable rig. They did fine and thunder ****ed everybody
These are not Fostex.
But nothing hits harder. 
When i find a harder hitter I'll buy them on the spot
biggrin.gif

You might just need a Digizoid ZO3 to add to the mix. It may also add to the mids/treble detail and separation on the SZ's (?)

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #759 of 4,826

You might just need a Digizoid ZO3 to add to the mix. It may also add to the mids/treble detail and separation on the SZ's (?)

The sz doesn't need any adding as it has 2 separate drivers.
It's tuning the early mids. The 2nd forward driver is for mids/highs. There are folks who listen to classical with these. It has to be pointed out...3 things.

1 The Th600 were originally $1,200 the sz were $330
2 This thread was revived by me because I was looking for the hardest hitting bass can on the market and these were hanging on a rack in a Japanese shop. I was never told about these. These...despite my clear tastes were never mentioned by anyone. 
blink.gif

3. I said A) You need an amp
            B) You gotta love to use it (these cans come together at high volume/juice and not before)
            C) You gotta have a Hip Hop heavy playlist

I am a basshead. What do folks think I'm recommending? I say again and again I wanna out slam anyone and their rig. I do and I do again and again. These will go deeper and get louder before distortion in the low end like no other can. Nobody ever told anyone these were audiophile cans. The opposite was said.
That's on you folks for thinking you could turn water into wine despite what folks before you said.

I'm not even conceding anything except that without proper tuning these are just hammers. A guy that listened to these for 5 hours total with some just basstronic **** is right. With 5 hours 18" subwoofers was the best he could do. I believe that.
I put more time in. I get more.
The 18" subwoofer effect is an eq slope on the low end with a gain boost. That takes 10 minutes. If you want a less impactfull bass hit you can pay 3 times as much for that with a proper tuned mids.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #760 of 4,826

The sz doesn't need any adding as it has 2 separate drivers.
It's tuning the early mids. The 2nd forward driver is for mids/highs. There are folks who listen to classical with these. It has to be pointed out...3 things.

1 The Th600 were originally $1,200 the sz were $330
2 This thread was revived by me because I was looking for the hardest hitting bass can on the market and these were hanging on a rack in a Japanese shop. I was never told about these. These...despite my clear tastes were never mentioned by anyone. 
blink.gif

3. I said A) You need an amp
            B) You gotta love to use it (these cans come together at high volume/juice and not before)
            C) You gotta have a Hip Hop heavy playlist

I am a basshead. What do folks think I'm recommending? I say again and again I wanna out slam anyone and their rig. I do and I do again and again. These will go deeper and get louder before distortion in the low end like no other can. Nobody ever told anyone these were audiophile cans. The opposite was said.
That's on you folks for thinking you could turn water into wine despite what folks before you said.

I'm not even conceding anything except that without proper tuning these are just hammers. A guy that listened to these for 5 hours total with some just basstronic **** is right. With 5 hours 18" subwoofers was the best he could do. I believe that.
I put more time in. I get more.
The 18" subwoofer effect is an eq slope on the low end with a gain boost. That takes 10 minutes. If you want a less impactfull bass hit you can pay 3 times as much for that with a proper tuned mids.

I actually wasn't looking for audiophile grade cans, I knew what I was getting myself into. But you gotta try and see if you like that certain signature. Its a very personal thing and it wasn't for me. I wanted the mids to be a bit less affected by the bass and the highs not to be so rolled off, not audiophile quality but somewhere along the lines of say my creative aurvana live 2s, which is $100. The bass of the creatives are nowhere near the JVC but even they manage some decent mids, highs, some detail and threw some bass in. Anyway, that is my taste, it may not be for everyone. But I can see why if you listen to sub-bass hip hop the JVC would be good. Sounds like car system thumping bass that makes your ears flap and your hair stand on end. If I still had my JDS C5 it would've been awesome. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #761 of 4,826
  I actually wasn't looking for audiophile grade cans, I knew what I was getting myself into. But you gotta try and see if you like that certain signature. Its a very personal thing and it wasn't for me. I wanted the mids to be a bit less affected by the bass and the highs not to be so rolled off, not audiophile quality but somewhere along the lines of say my creative aurvana live 2s, which is $100. The bass of the creatives are nowhere near the JVC but even they manage some decent mids, highs, some detail and threw some bass in. Anyway, that is my taste, it may not be for everyone. But I can see why if you listen to sub-bass hip hop the JVC would be good. Sounds like car system thumping bass that makes your ears flap and your hair stand on end. If I still had my JDS C5 it would've been awesome. 

Don't mind me bro.
wink.gif

There is a market of folks looking for this. It is smaller...far smaller than folks looking for "TH" type reproduction but I belong to that market and when I was asking specifically for the hardest hitting cans I was getting stuff like Beyer COP and Q40 thrown at me. Never these..

At a certain point the impact of bass on the ears and head will interfere with the mids. I always supposed and I think correctly that the Ultrasone Pro 900 have screaming highs to hear over the Bass and the mids get lost even though the response line relates a decent curve. Too much bass is gonna take away from the overall performance. Even if the driver is producing the desired line you might not be able to hear it. Perception is reality. 

I cannot...despite my instinct to get angry (cuz I'm a fanboy)...I cannot get angry with a guy who has Th600 which are little brothers of my next can. TH900 or DX1000. You got good tastes. Cannot argue with you
biggrin.gif

I disagree about the cans but this site is filled with blind fanboys railing on folks who don't love what they love. I'm a fanboy bro but I'm not blind. I'll be listening to the same signature as you when I settle down a bit as Fostex and JVC and a few Denon are all I seem to like.

For now it's me looking for folks and their celebrity endorsed cans getting a can of whoop ass opened on them by a set of cans they never heard of in their lives. I enjoy pissing contests apparently. I will grow up someday.....

I said that 10 years ago and 5 years ago but I mean it...I'm gonna grow out of this someday...probably...maybe......definitely maybe
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #762 of 4,826
Don't mind me bro.:wink:

There is a market of folks looking for this. It is smaller...far smaller than folks looking for "TH" type reproduction but I belong to that market and when I was asking specifically for the hardest hitting cans I was getting stuff like Beyer COP and Q40 thrown at me. Never these..

At a certain point the impact of bass on the ears and head will interfere with the mids. I always supposed and I think correctly that the Ultrasone Pro 900 have screaming highs to hear over the Bass and the mids get lost even though the response line relates a decent curve. Too much bass is gonna take away from the overall performance. Even if the driver is producing the desired line you might not be able to hear it. Perception is reality. 

I cannot...despite my instinct to get angry (cuz I'm a fanboy)...I cannot get angry with a guy who has Th600 which are little brothers of my next can. TH900 or DX1000. You got good tastes. Cannot argue with you:D

I disagree about the cans but this site is filled with blind fanboys railing on folks who don't love what they love. I'm a fanboy bro but I'm not blind. I'll be listening to the same signature as you when I settle down a bit as Fostex and JVC and a few Denon are all I seem to like.

For now it's me looking for folks and their celebrity endorsed cans getting a can of whoop ass opened on them by a set of cans they never heard of in their lives. I enjoy pissing contests apparently. I will grow up someday.....

I said that 10 years ago and 5 years ago but I mean it...I'm gonna grow out of this someday...probably...maybe......definitely maybe:D
No you won't :wink:

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #764 of 4,826
Ordered the SZ2000 out of curiousity today. Let us see how they compare to the Ultrasone Signature Dj when they arrive.
HBB you got me interested. Btw. where did you get that these are discontinued? On the German JVC page they are listed as active.
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #765 of 4,826
I just got these cans in... I wasn't impressed with the bass without an amp... but with an fiio e18 at volume 6 gain on high and bass on these cans are heavenly. I usually blast my amp at max volumes but these cans seriously mess up one's hearing. It's actually possible to listen to the at max volume with the gain off. if you leave the gain on you'll seriously damage your eardrums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back