JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #4,261 of 4,826
I'm on my way to getting it now. Damn, son, I think I'm sliding down the slippery slope a little too faaaaast. But it's exhilarating From Apple EarPods two weeks ago to this.

Meanwhile, the review on majorhifi sims up the idsd micro:

"If you’re in the market for a DAC/Amp combo and you haven’t yet considered this model, you need to get your life together and go check it out. Even if the Black Label were to cost twice as much, it would still be worth the price. So at $549, it’s nothing short of a steal."

Also, since I will have both the E12 and the idsd, what will happen if I stack them?

Oh, you've left the slope and fell off the cliff, lol. As for stacking the E12 with the iDSD there would be no benefit. Both the DAC and the Amp are better in the iDSD negating the need for the E12 in the chain.

Jun 18, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #4,264 of 4,826
I don't really have the chance to experience my 2k's, because I am still waiting for my amp, The Cayin C5, but has anyone heard these things with a track called Netsky Rio?
I am very curious, because it is a quiet song and it has some bass, but I would like to get a sneak peak preview to what these things have in store, currently burning them in with the crappy Creative Sound Blaster E5, I am at 47 hours now. But I just want a sneak preview to this song :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFDP9egTwfM

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #4,266 of 4,826
How has the Ifi Micro iDSD been for you? what do you think about the Black Label edition?

The iFi Micro iDSD is by far my favorite DAC/Amp I've had. It has plenty of juice for my SZ2k's & Monolith M1060's, but it can be set up to use with sensitive IEMs. Mine will never leave my collection. As for the Black Label, others will have to answer that for you, I have the silver version.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #4,267 of 4,826
I think Monoprice has attempted to make a budget SZ1k/SZ2k with a dual 50mm/30mm driver setup, and from the reviews, failed miserably, lol.

>>LINK<<

18799_06.png

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #4,268 of 4,826
The iFi Micro iDSD is by far my favorite DAC/Amp I've had. It has plenty of juice for my SZ2k's & Monolith M1060's, but it can be set up to use with sensitive IEMs. Mine will never leave my collection. As for the Black Label, others will have to answer that for you, I have the silver version.
Does it have a great Bass boost option? or does the shear power rattle your skull? I just can't get my E18 or my C5 to make my SZ1K's slam...

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #4,269 of 4,826
Does it have a great Bass boost option? or does the shear power rattle your skull? I just can't get my E18 or my C5 to make my SZ1K's slam...

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #4,270 of 4,826

It does have a great boost switch for the bass, but it's the power of the iDSD that brings the boom to the SZ's. I'm surprised the C5 amp isn't giving you the thump you're looking for as it's capable of 800mW per channel for a total of 1.6W into 32ohm. If it is the C5 DAC/Amp version then it makes a bit more sense because it's only 300mW a channel for a total of 600mW into 32ohm.

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #4,271 of 4,826
It does have a great boost switch for the bass, but it's the power of the iDSD that brings the boom to the SZ's. I'm surprised the C5 amp isn't giving you the thump you're looking for as it's capable of 800mW per channel for a total of 1.6W into 32ohm. If it is the C5 DAC/Amp version then it makes a bit more sense because it's only 300mW a channel for a total of 600mW into 32ohm.
I have used many EQ settings. it's the regular Cayin C5 it does have more bass but it was only a bit of a volume increase really, I don't know if it's because the SZ1K's are more controlled or if i just like a ton of bass.

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #4,272 of 4,826
I have used many EQ settings. it's the regular Cayin C5 it does have more bass but it was only a bit of a volume increase really, I don't know if it's because the SZ1K's are more controlled or if i just like a ton of bass.

I get it, I love a ton of bass too. I have a tube amp that pushes around the same as the C5, and it just don't give me the brain rattle like turning the iDSD on turbo with the Xbass on, lol.

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #4,273 of 4,826
I get it, I love a ton of bass too. I have a tube amp that pushes around the same as the C5, and it just don't give me the brain rattle like turning the iDSD on turbo with the Xbass on, lol.
I will probably look in to the Magni2/Modi2 Uber, Jotunheim, or the Micro iDSD, the Black label edition seems out of the question for me with regard to the high price.

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #4,274 of 4,826
I might actually save up and get the Black Label as I heard that certain improvements make it worth it over the original. It has a more refined sound, bass texture, and the channel imbalance reduced. I do prefer the silver color of the original but I will settle...

Jul 10, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #4,275 of 4,826

What are using as a source?

The vid of the sz1k that's in the basshead thread was done with a e12 which has the same amount of power as the c5. Is the volume knob at max? What are your eq settings? I'm asking because your gain might be to low. I've had all three amps (c5, e12, idsd) and all of them have pushed my sz2k. I have mojo now which has around 650mw@32 and it can push the sz pretty well.

The sz can handle what idsd can throw at it but doesn't need it. I'm just wondering if it's your eq settings are the problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back