JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #3,361 of 4,826
Yes, I meant headphone amps. Want to respond to this: "I mean, in my experience, as wonderful as all these HP amps are, they can't compare to a big ***** receiver/amp like my Sony DH55, but that is probably obvious." Actually, not much is obvious about the design of receivers. I tried to find real specifications for the Sony & failed. It's obviously a big, capable, multi-channel receiver w/a lot of functionality. But what actual power can it output to headphones? No idea. Receivers vary widely in the power & quality of their headphone circuits. Since you have the FiiO 10K (which is probably a better headphone amp than >80% of the receivers' headphone circuits out there), you can actually compare it to the Sony and make your own conclusions. Write a post about it--I'd be very curious to read your conclusions.

"I feel like I'm an audiophile, but when I come to this forum, I usually feel like a moron." (funny!) The line between moron & audiophile constantly shifts. And it may be a dotted line anyway (!). Seriously, years ago I was an official audiophile--the living room system kind, w/huge speakers, tube preamplifier, tube amplifiers, solid state amp for the subwoofer section of the speakers, excellent turntable & cartridge, blah-blah. It sounded amazing, the best I ever heard in a home, but so what? Many people had far more money than me & bigger, newer systems than mine (most of my equipment was purchased used). Were they "better" audiophiles than me? Maybe...

Back to the present. All that equipment is still stored away (no place for it in this house).  I began messing around w/desktop audio ~10 years ago w/big upgrades w/in the last year, including a major dive into headphone listening, which I absolutely love. So now I have some very good, relatively affordable headphones and may buy a really good one soon; plus some mid-level or better headphone amps. Am I still an audiophile? Am I a moron? (my wife often calls me a moron--she should know!).

I think in the long run, what matters is not the label given to you by others (or yourself)--it's whether you really get any joy out of MUSIC (#1) and all this equipment we obsess over (#2). If the answers to those questions are "yes" and "yes," then the rest are just details IMO...

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #3,362 of 4,826
  Yes, I meant headphone amps. Want to respond to this: "I mean, in my experience, as wonderful as all these HP amps are, they can't compare to a big ***** receiver/amp like my Sony DH55, but that is probably obvious." Actually, not much is obvious about the design of receivers. I tried to find real specifications for the Sony & failed. It's obviously a big, capable, multi-channel receiver w/a lot of functionality. But what actual power can it output to headphones? No idea. Receivers vary widely in the power & quality of their headphone circuits. Since you have the FiiO 10K (which is probably a better headphone amp than >80% of the receivers' headphone circuits out there), you can actually compare it to the Sony and make your own conclusions. Write a post about it--I'd be very curious to read your conclusions.

"I feel like I'm an audiophile, but when I come to this forum, I usually feel like a moron." (funny!) The line between moron & audiophile constantly shifts. And it may be a dotted line anyway (!). Seriously, years ago I was an official audiophile--the living room system kind, w/huge speakers, tube preamplifier, tube amplifiers, solid state amp for the subwoofer section of the speakers, excellent turntable & cartridge, blah-blah. It sounded amazing, the best I ever heard in a home, but so what? Many people had far more money than me & bigger, newer systems than mine (most of my equipment was purchased used). Were they "better" audiophiles than me? Maybe...

Back to the present. All that equipment is still stored away (no place for it in this house).  I began messing around w/desktop audio ~10 years ago w/big upgrades w/in the last year, including a major dive into headphone listening, which I absolutely love. So now I have some very good, relatively affordable headphones and may buy a really good one soon; plus some mid-level or better headphone amps. Am I still an audiophile? Am I a moron? (my wife often calls me a moron--she should know!).

I think in the long run, what matters is not the label given to you by others (or yourself)--it's whether you really get any joy out of MUSIC (#1) and all this equipment we obsess over (#2). If the answers to those questions are "yes" and "yes," then the rest are just details IMO...

Yeah, with recievers and headphones, it gets confusing for me.  I must now eat my words because I did a test with the HA-SZ1000 (what a catchy name) in my reciever, which did require a 1/4” jack adapter and MAN I had to turn it almost to max volume to get even close the effect of the E10K and Q1.  And it didn’t even sound that great.  So, uh, nevermind.

I will say that that reciever seems to work better with my Sennheiser 518s and definitely the Game Zeros.  both of which, I think, are  50ohm compared to the SZs 15ohms.  

Word.  Always someone better stronger faster audiophilerer.

Your wife calls you a moron?  That’s code for I love you.  I think.  

Yeah, well, some forums can be more harsh on the uninitiated, and sometimes I think that’s ok, like, do a little research, I suppose.  I like to call myself all kinds of deragatory names as it helps to lower people’s expecations, heheh.

wise words.  I like, really like music.  In high school, some dude was installing a cd player in my bro’s car but dude had 6 12 inch woofers in his little Mitsubishi Eclipse ’95.  Took me for a ride and played this stuff called “Rap.”  And it altered my reality.  Rest is history.

Back on target, so the E10K and Q1 both sound pretty much the same with the 1000s, and by “the same” I mean, UNREAL bass.

I was thinking of how to describe it so just replace the word “LSD” in the following paragraph/quote with “SZ1000s.”

“We are about to take you into the world of the LSD user. A world that to him is real, yet is terrifying and unreal as anything ever imagined.

Under LSD, sights and sounds are many times unreal, movements often uncontrollable, things that one thinks he does while under the influence of LSD are not necessarily the things that are actually happening. “

Lord Almighty.  I’ve also been watching favorite movie scenes from Jurassic Park and Terminator 2.  So far, I have ZERO regrets with this purchase.

one question though, do you know what people are doing to lenghthen the cable?  It’s fine, and I have male-male adapters and such (probably need to test if there’s any quality loss).

What I can’t seem to wrap my head around, is how difficult it has been to find  those old school coiled cables.  I’ve searched high and low and the best solutions I’ve seen are getting some car audio coiled cable and modding it.  I’m fine with that.  

Or if there’s one that’s 1/8” female to 1/8th” male.  

So here’s a song that made my brain vibrate around in my skull:

/img/vimeo_logo.png 

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #3,363 of 4,826
RE  "Always someone better stronger faster audiophilerer.

Your wife calls you a moron?  That’s code for I love you. I think."

(FUNNY!!) & 100% true...

Many newer receivers have headphone amp circuits that are just "after-thoughts." Expensive amps have bigger power supplies, more output devices, real filtering, etc. The FiiO E10K is amazingly good for its low price. I have several HP amps that are better, but the FiiO was the 1st that let me actually hear what headphones could do.

So rap was your moment of truth? It's different for everyone (for me it was jazz, classical, R&B, world music). Whatever--when the music gods speak, you have to listen.

All that matters is you really enjoy something, get inspired. These headphones obviously do that. You mention LSD to describe the feeling (it's been awhile, but I get it). Great to get pumped up about your music & listening equipment. One more way to enjoy life.

When the JVCs finish burning in, I'll llisten to Platinum Bounce again. Not my thing, musically--more of a sub-bass "stress test." Another head-fi-er turned me on to some dub-step on SoundCloud...insane music w/xtreme bass.

Re the cable, IMO there's no good way to extend it w/o compromising the sound. I plan to have the JVC's modified to accept external cables ("removable cable mod"):
http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=2609209&mode=product&product=11484987

I believe this company's in northern CA. They ship to all over…excellent reviews on Head-Fi. Assuming the JVC's frame accommodates a 3.5mm input receptacle (it should—they're big, well-build headphones), no problem:

(website) http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=2609209&mode=product&product=11484987

(review thread) http://www.head-fi.org/t/587586/btg-audio

Once the mod is done, you can buy your cable from BTG ($$) or anywhere. I get mine from Ghent Audio, an  excellent, affordable Chinese company. These cable are built to last—thick & strong, not the most flexible, but I don't care since I only use them in home office. I order #D08 on his web site to replace the stock removable 3M cable for my Phillips Fidelio X-2's (thin cable w/3.5mm connectors on each end). The replacement has 3.5mm on one end & 6.5mm on the other. It immediately sounded somewhat better than stock.

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d08.html

But why do you want old school coiled cables? I read the ~300 pg Takstar headphones thread here (inexpensive Chinese headphones): almost everyone complained about one Takstar headphone that came w/coiled cable stock.

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #3,364 of 4,826
LOL. SZ1000 directly out of an iPod Mini is WAY better than it should be. I'm shocked how big the bass is. I'm speechless. would take a picture but too busy dancing and laughing that this tiny 12 year old iPod can rock these SZ's so hard.

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #3,365 of 4,826
  RE  "Always someone better stronger faster audiophilerer.

Your wife calls you a moron?  That’s code for I love you. I think."

(FUNNY!!) & 100% true...

Many newer receivers have headphone amp circuits that are just "after-thoughts." Expensive amps have bigger power supplies, more output devices, real filtering, etc. The FiiO E10K is amazingly good for its low price. I have several HP amps that are better, but the FiiO was the 1st that let me actually hear what headphones could do.

So rap was your moment of truth? It's different for everyone (for me it was jazz, classical, R&B, world music). Whatever--when the music gods speak, you have to listen.

All that matters is you really enjoy something, get inspired. These headphones obviously do that. You mention LSD to describe the feeling (it's been awhile, but I get it). Great to get pumped up about your music & listening equipment. One more way to enjoy life.

When the JVCs finish burning in, I'll llisten to Platinum Bounce again. Not my thing, musically--more of a sub-bass "stress test." Another head-fi-er turned me on to some dub-step on SoundCloud...insane music w/xtreme bass.

Re the cable, IMO there's no good way to extend it w/o compromising the sound. I plan to have the JVC's modified to accept external cables ("removable cable mod"):
http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=2609209&mode=product&product=11484987

I believe this company's in northern CA. They ship to all over…excellent reviews on Head-Fi. Assuming the JVC's frame accommodates a 3.5mm input receptacle (it should—they're big, well-build headphones), no problem:

(website) http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=2609209&mode=product&product=11484987

(review thread) http://www.head-fi.org/t/587586/btg-audio

Once the mod is done, you can buy your cable from BTG ($$) or anywhere. I get mine from Ghent Audio, an  excellent, affordable Chinese company. These cable are built to last—thick & strong, not the most flexible, but I don't care since I only use them in home office. I order #D08 on his web site to replace the stock removable 3M cable for my Phillips Fidelio X-2's (thin cable w/3.5mm connectors on each end). The replacement has 3.5mm on one end & 6.5mm on the other. It immediately sounded somewhat better than stock.

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d08.html

But why do you want old school coiled cables? I read the ~300 pg Takstar headphones thread here (inexpensive Chinese headphones): almost everyone complained about one Takstar headphone that came w/coiled cable stock.

Yeah, interesting about the headphone amps.  But mine strangely does seem to work with the Sennheiser 518s & Game Zeros, the only thing I can think that’s different is the ohmage.  

50Ω for both and 15 for the SZ1000s (which I will now be calling The Juggernaut).

FiiO as a company, is almost too good to be true.  Yes, I’m sure there’s plenty of other HP amps/dacs just as good or better, even within similar price ranges (though that’s one thing that’s so shocking to me about FiiO, the AFFORDABILITY, I tellz ya!).

Rap.  Yup.  Not sure why.  Chris Rock does a stand up bit where he says something like, “I’m 35 and I STILL listen to rap.”    That’s meish, ha.  Even the dumb lyrics don’t matter too much, but it may have to do with my jr. high Band geek in the Percussion department (the COOLEST of the band geeks!  haha).  I never learned squat about melody and such.  Rhythmn and beat.  But who knows.  Plus rap, like few other genres, for me, is such a visceral (not so much cerebral) experience. 

When those woofers hit that sub-bass line (headphones, car, club) it like hits my whole body.

Course, I’m a lover of all, as long as it has soul.

I never “got” jazz.  haha.  I feel most that do have a broader musical background.  Do you?

Funny, I’ve never actually tried LSD (others, well, different forum), but yeah, the experience, for example-Jurassic Park, was just game changing.  Never heard that kind of bass from headphones, and I thought I had.

So I read the top articles on “burning in” and it seems the consesus is that it definitely is a real thing, though the headphone scientists seem to say it’s not a night and day thing, and then some articles saying it’s total bull.  But they were  in  the minority.

Personally, I’m just “burning in” as I go along.  Though I may listen to some white/pink noise just for kicks.  FANTASTIC, free online sight for all these sounds/atmospheres/binaural/nature sounds is https://mynoise.net/ Distant Thunder is my fav (though, being in Jacksonville, Hurrican Matthew is filling that roll), but you can select white/pink/etc and it’s got an EQ.  Just mentioning, not homework, heh.

Some dub step is off the chain!  Some sounds like a bassy chainsaw, in a bad way.

I bookmarded those cable sites, thanks.  And I agree, don’t wann risk quality compromise.

Old School Coiled cables?  Man, they’re just so awesome.  No tangle, unlikely to get yanked on, I can use ‘em sitting far away or up close to like a dj controller.  The fact that you ask “why” further confirms my confusion on their unpopularity, but maybe I’m missing something, because to me, virtually all modern headphone cables are a step back from the glory days.  ha, I’m actually not that old, but my dad had this old, beloved pair, and I can hear that Neil Young song 

“Love lost, such a cost,
Give me things
that don't get lost.
Like a coin that won't get tossed
Rolling home to you.”

Lol

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #3,366 of 4,826
What up headfiers, its been awhile! No, the reports of me going def on bass pounding my skull in were greatly exaggerated.
jecklinsmile.gif

I have owned my JVC HA-SZ1000E bass cannons for almost 3-months now, wow how time flies. Unlike some of you who changed out your pads for comfortability, the real endurance test is to force your ears to conform like I have with the stock pads. Since experiencing new nut popping sound that these cans will give me, I so rarely listen to speakers anymore, my poor speakers have only gotten maybe 4-hours of use since I got these cans hehe.

I usually average wearing these cans between 4 to 16 hours a day, and yes thats on stock pads. I am going to take a guess that I have anywhere between 500 to 600 in total hours on these cans. Which means they have finally reached their full burn in value. Dubstep, RAP, DDR, all that sounds awesome on these bass monsters from hell. But remember I don't just listen to music, I game and watch movies on them too. You just gotta love how these things love taking it and shoving it.

Literally I can push these cans so hard man and they put out. But its also like we've talked about in the past, without a proper headphone amp, and some proper EQ, these can's won't impress, they will sound like 30mm drivers. So get yourself a good amp like the Fiio A3 or E12, and do some proper EQ, and these will impress right out of the box. I will say however that the burn in period is not only real, but it is also required. Burning in the cans achieves several positive results.

First noticeable difference after burn in, is the bass is more pronounced, it just seems to like hitting hard more and it struggles less when you crank them up. Also, the highs and the mids are more pronounced regardless of EQ, but i kept my EQ settings the same because I like where I have them and see no need to change them. Sound stage may have improve slightly, but its hard to tell, since they are closed back design, they aren't really designed to be a sound stage based can. But imaging has noticeably improved IMO.

Don't ask me how they do this on a stereo based can. But if your playing say Fallout 4 and a sound is behind you, I can hear it behind me as if the cans are surround 5.1, ya I'd say thats pretty screw* cool man! People like Z-Reviews who bad mouthed the SZ2K's, which are really the bigger brother of my cans, don't even bother to give them the chance. They don't amp them up, they don't EQ them, they don't put them through a 300 hour burn in at least, and just say they suck. Its like hello, how about you do a little research and learn about headphones before you bad mouth something? If he had given them the proper chance, and done what I said about amping, eq, and allow burn in time, I think he would have loved them.

So that is my 3rd updated and final review of my cans. Your either a basshead or your a chicken surprise dinner. If your basshead, get these, if your a chicken surprise, then get a pair of beats by doctor dray. End of story! Now I am going to go back to bashing my skull in with my JVC's, crank up it up yo, oh this s*** is about to get real.

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #3,370 of 4,826
Oct 15, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #3,372 of 4,826

Literally I can push these cans so hard man and they put out. But its also like we've talked about in the past, without a proper headphone amp, and some proper EQ, these can's won't impress, they will sound like 30mm drivers. So get yourself a good amp like the Fiio A3 or E12, and do some proper EQ, and these will impress right out of the box. 

I've had my SZ2000's for about three months myself, except I sent them over to my friends with the e12 to compare with his M55x.  They've stayed over there until just recently.  He said he followed this forum to get the most bass out of them, but ultimately said he would not pay the price for these over the M55x because there not worldly better.  He told me that he thinks he was ruined on all the comments he heard about making your head rattle, your teeth chatter and your neck vibrate as they don't come close to doing any of that.  

I have no idea because I never really heard his and these side by side.   

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #3,373 of 4,826

Literally I can push these cans so hard man and they put out. But its also like we've talked about in the past, without a proper headphone amp, and some proper EQ, these can's won't impress, they will sound like 30mm drivers. So get yourself a good amp like the Fiio A3 or E12, and do some proper EQ, and these will impress right out of the box. 

I've had my SZ2000's for about three months myself, except I sent them over to my friends with the e12 to compare with his M55x.  They've stayed over there until just recently.  He said he followed this forum to get the most bass out of them, but ultimately said he would not pay the price for these over the M55x because there not worldly better.  He told me that he thinks he was ruined on all the comments he heard about making your head rattle, your teeth chatter and your neck vibrate as they don't come close to doing any of that.  

I have no idea because I never really heard his and these side by side.   

Amping without EQ isn't good enough. Amping gives the cans the power they need to hit hard, but you need EQ to make them hit harder and lower.

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #3,374 of 4,826

Amping without EQ isn't good enough. Amping gives the cans the power they need to hit hard, but you need EQ to make them hit harder and lower.

He said he EQ'd them using what he read on the forums.  However, that doesn't mean he was any good at it.  Also, I think his judgment was on them not being "worldly" better as he put it compared the M55x's.  

I tried them earlier with some DJ Billy with the amp and windows 50hz Bass Boost to 18db.  They don't vibrate my head, but they do tickle my ears a little lol.  With that said, I don't know anything about EQing.  I believe what you guys say about them, but I'm not exactly on your level with audio knowledge.   

What I'm interested in is knowing that those pads are I see in google search.  They are solid red and look sweet on the black.  

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #3,375 of 4,826
I'm also using built in sound on my workstation so I don't think I'm completely equipped to make these reach their full potential.  I am now looking to replace stock pads, and I'm liking those solid red ones.  

Also, how much damage is done when you distort them?  A few times they've distorted and I worry that I'll end up messing them up if I'm not careful.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back