JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...)
Apr 6, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #168 of 209
Okay...so i scrapped ALL the felt. First thing i noticed was the clearer sound. I've also noticed that the bass has become more powerful. Could it be that the felt was meant to reduce the intensity of the bass?

Right now, i can feel it pounding on my ear drums.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #169 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis_lcfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay...so i scrapped ALL the felt. First thing i noticed was the clearer sound. I've also noticed that the bass has become more powerful. Could it be that the felt was meant to reduce the intensity of the bass?

Right now, i can feel it pounding on my ear drums.

The felt should have pretty much no affect on the bass honestly, and only really affects the mids/highs. When those are clearer though it doesn't sound like the bass is muddying over everything.

Jun 19, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #170 of 209
Is there a difference between having the acoustic lens on/off? It sounds kind of strange leaving it on.....

Also, would pillow stuffing work as acoustic stuffing?

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #171 of 209
Im getting mine in shortly from a fellow Head-Fier and plan on doing a full recable as well as a mic mod for gaming. Im wondering it there is going to be ample room for all the other mods as well.

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #172 of 209
Hi there! :)

Does anyone know where can I find new earpads? Or something that is compatible?
(I will soon have the Rx700 but want to change the pads with the ones of the RX900 or something better)

Thanks. a bunch. :)

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #173 of 209
just finished this tut. GREAT results. to an under qualified 17 year old this is how i describe the results-
*vocals are MUCH more crisp. its like turning up the volume without the increase in bass. 
*for ME i thought my bass has been tamed. like there isnt that BOOM when id like to. but then again i am a teenager and like that bassy' touch. 
 Overall, i spent $15 off ebay to find the original dynamat. most places only sold the extreme. and got the stuffing from my dogs toy =o 
Success =) 
Ps. im selling my extra dynamat for reduced price. email me at brett.henderson.21@gmail.com for more info to buy it. (hope having my email is ok in rules, if not sorry =/ i just joined)

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #174 of 209
Hello everyone, I got my HA-RX900s in today and i plan on doing this mod tomorrow mainly for more noise cancellation, would it be alright if i added another layer of the 2 1/2" dynamat or would it not fit or be too heavy? Also how do i break these in? I am using them right now and as they are very good they don't have as much bass as my old creative HS-900s but then again i do have to break them in to properly judge these. I want more bass and noise cancellation, i can't find the acoustic stuffing but i don't mind that i think just adding the dynamat and removing the felt for more bass and such would be good for me. I could only find the dynamat extreme, the classic was hard to find in small quantities.http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10415-Xtreme-Speaker-Sheets/dp/B00020CATC/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1282983610&sr=1-3

Overall i am impressed with these headphones i can easily see myself wearing them for a long time without hurting my left ear like i would with my creatives.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #175 of 209
I just completed this mod, i only removed the thick layer of felt and added dynamat to the driver and ear cup, i added another layer to my right ear cup to see if it will help with noise cancellation and it doesn't seem to have helped much lol. I don't really notice the added weight either. Anyway thanks OP for posting up this tutorial the sound is crisper, better bass, and overall just amazing.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #176 of 209
If your having trouble finding Original, as its been discontinued by the manufactuer, and is not on Amazon (unless you wanna pay $40 for ALOT more than you need).

I present to you my research:

http://www.sounddeadener.com/Dynamat/Original/index.htm

$15 shipped.

Your welcome.

Dumb place was selling out-of-stock items.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #177 of 209
Not to bump this. But I'm looking for a new set of phones and have been doing A LOT of reading on here about the RX700 / RX900's being great after modding. Since I like DiY, I'm going to mod a pair. But I have a question ..

I listen to a very wide variety of music, from rap to classic. But mainly stick in the pop/country/classic-rock area for everyday use. I've tried the SHURE SRH-440's and like the sound, but hated the comfort. I loved the ATH-M50s's comfort, but I think the sound is a little murky with a few different genre's of music (I tried the balance-tape mod as well) - almost masking the vocals, hard to describe (mids?). I tend to like to hear the detail over being blasted with bass.

So, anyone try both a modded RX700 and modded RX900? Any preference for the ones that work with the widest range of music? 

And for those looking for Dynamat, I came across this post:
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3226

Worth looking into, especially since it's at Lowe's.

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #178 of 209
Well since this old thread has already been bumped I'll throw my post in as well.

I just got my RX900's yesterday from Amazon ($54/shipped) and they've been burning in all night. Yes I do believe in burning in makes a difference. They're already sounding much better than yesterday.

Once I'm happy that they are properly set I plan on doing most or all of the mods on this thread.

But I am left with one burning question. One that I've tried tirelessly to find the answer to.

That is.....why has no one posted their results of a re-cabling?

I've seen a lot of posts proposing such a mod, and lots of responses asking the posters to come back with the results. But I have not found one definitive reply on how a re-cable affects these babies either before or after the other mods. Anyone?

-Dogwan

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #179 of 209
I am thinking no one has posted the effect of recabling because this mod is so people friendly and doesn't take a lot of skills, money, and energy as recabling would. Also, these headphones are so cheap. Why ruin the magic. I would be curious as to what effect a recable has on the sound as well, but for this easy mod I think people just want to leave well enough alone. This thread is very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back