JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...)
Jul 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #196 of 209
Wow. I just got these and removed the felt. I'm not an audiophile at all, and they're not burned in, if you believe in that (I don't), but the difference is quite noticeable, and sounds seem much more "crisp". I'm glad I did this. Thanks for the guide!

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #197 of 209
I removed the acoustic lens on mine and opened up the holes in the remaining layer of felt. The sound is now quite literally like that of a veil being lifted, or perhaps someone pulling aside the curtain between you and the speakers. Mine have less than 48 hours of burn in and I love the sound already. Ultrasones they are not, but for the price these are so very good, especially when paired with a ZO2 amp. They refuse to distort even at maximum bass. Listenining to NIN's Ghosts II right now and its all good. There _is_ the odd shrill now and then, but I might wait a little before doing the sound deadening mod; it might just be because these aren't fully burned in yet.

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #199 of 209
This thread may be old, but I felt compelled to post about my recent experience with these headphones.

First of all, I've never considered myself an audiophile.   I've always had cheap headphones or speakers, like the Sony MDR-EX700 earbuds, or Logitech X-540 5.1 desktop PC speakers.  On a whim I ordered these headphones after stumbling onto this post.  On their own, they were already produce WAY better sound than I am used to (there is so much detail in my music I never noticed), but after doing just the first few steps (removing the felt ring and the "audio lens") I'm floored.

Coupled with a Fiio E10, I'm rediscovering my music.  

This single post has changed my appreciation for sound and music. I thank TopPop and those who contributed to this thread (although my wallet now hates you all).

I must say, for now I'm really happy with these and am looking forward to delving further into the realm of the audiophile.

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #200 of 209
If I don't plan on dynamat or acoustic stuffing, do you still recommend doing steps #1 and #2?

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #201 of 209
I actually only did step 1 and 2, and have not put acoustic stuffing or dynamat into my headphones yet. Simply removing the felt ring and the "acoustic" lens made a huge difference.  I will be adding Dynamat this weekend however when I have a chance to pick some up.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #202 of 209
Quote:
I actually only did step 1 and 2, and have not put acoustic stuffing or dynamat into my headphones yet. Simply removing the felt ring and the "acoustic" lens made a huge difference.  I will be adding Dynamat this weekend however when I have a chance to pick some up.

You're supposed to put the "acoustic" lens back after removing the felt ring!  "Screw the acoustic lens back on."

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #203 of 209
Reading through the thread, I found that a few people discussed the audio lens at some length, and they thought that the audio lens is actually the felt ring.  I don't know either way, but testing with and without the plastic "audio lens" as per the directions made little to no difference.    I'm not expert, and probably didn't do a proper test but to me I couldn't really tell.

On another note, later today I am heading to a local store to buy some Dynamat, and I'll post again after I've had a chance to try the last few steps in TopPop's instructions.

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #205 of 209
I bought a pair of RX900s a couple weeks ago and just got around to doing these mods. The D2000s are my favorite headphones to date but these are a close second, only because the D2000s sub-bass is smoother and deeper. But these are kinda ridiculous for $60.

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #206 of 209
The JVC HA-RZ910 version of this headphone is the one to go for if you sit at a computer.

Its the same as the 900 but with a shorter cable.

Far better soundstage than the 700 series.... 

.. and those 50mm drivers are well padded in (so the sound is pretty clear even at spiritedly-driven frequencies).

Stunning value at the equivalent of $40 where I live.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #207 of 209
Can someone please post the accurate dimensions of the earpads? I'd like to know the outer and inner diameter of the pads, as well as the depth/thickness of the pads. Thanks!

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #208 of 209
Sorry to revive this old topic, but it seems that the pads from my Samson SR850 are compatible. That means that all AKG 240, Beyer 770, and Superlux 668B pads should fit. Also, from my research i fount out that these pads from sony mdr v900 v900hd v600 7509hd 7509 hd have the similar shape and same size. (10cm cup diameter)

To be honest, i just got the RX900 today, and out of curiosity put on the velour pads. More comfort, no more sweat, but the sound changes dramatically, but not sure yet that i like it. Loses lots of bass, get a bit more open and airy. On the other side the RX900 pads are absolutely amazing on the sr850. Just wow!!! Now they deliver the bass punch that was always missing.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #209 of 209
None of those earpads have long flaps on the back, which RX900/700 need. Beyer pads have the shortest backside flaps of all.

Need some ear pads here as well as one of mine has torn.

Can someone please post the accurate dimensions of the earpads? I'd like to know the outer and inner diameter of the pads, as well as the depth/thickness of the pads. Thanks!

Even though this is old, I'm posting anyway:

Outer diameter = 106mm
inner = 47 x 51mm oval
Depth = 20mm (baffles add another ~14mm)

The headphone is designed with angled drivers, and on top of that, the baffles are designed to angle the earpads themselves,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back