JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...)
May 7, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #121 of 209
so far with my rx900s, the cans were ridiculously boomy on the low-end at first, and it drowned everything else out. it became more much more balanced with burn-in, though now im feeling that its maturing a bit differently again, where the mids are a bit more recessed and the bass has regained a bit of its dominance.

May 7, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #122 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by midget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so far with my rx900s, the cans were ridiculously boomy on the low-end at first, and it drowned everything else out. it became more much more balanced with burn-in, though now im feeling that its maturing a bit differently again, where the mids are a bit more recessed and the bass has regained a bit of its dominance.

That's what I was wondering...

Perhaps I should take the filling out until they've got 100 hours on them, to see if the bass mellows a little on its own.

For those who did filling -- what do you mean by the bass "tightening"? I just hear more bass and less bass -- but not necessarily a certain quality to the bass. I'm new to all this though!

May 23, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #123 of 209
thread seems kind of dead but i'll post my results anyway. just finished modding the 900s, but instead of using dynamat i used duct seal --- very stable, never dries but crap to work with since it sticks to everything. i only used enough to cover the back of the driver & a thin layer on most of the cup --- nothing beyond the screen part. i applied a very thin disc of fiberfill which properly adhered to the layer of duct seal... there won't be any clumping of fill over time. i also applied avm to the exposed wiring & solder joints & left out the plastic lens. a quick listen to patricia barber and now there's bite to the trumpet, greater clarity on the guitar work including the resonance of metal strings & less vibration & echo on the vocals when the band starts cookin'. & yeah, the drum work sounds better too. great mod for budget cans ($85 cdn delivered via newegg).
L3000.gif

don

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #124 of 209
I'm getting a set of these, and appreciate knowing this mod is out there. I'm no audiphile imo, but I am currently losting my Turtle Beach HPA2's to my fiance, which is fine, glad she finally picked out a headset that works for her. So I decided on the JVC HA RX900's, which I just ordered, I plan on doing this mod but possibly not right away, we'll see if I have qualms with the sound after the break-in period. But as a gamer used to gaming headsets for the last few years, I need a mic, and I prefer an in-line volume control. I do have a logitech G15, which does have volume control buttons, but I'd prefer an actual knob in-line...any suggestions on good inline volume controls? I have an x-fi xtreme music I'd prefer to keep using, I'm on a budget so the more I can utilize what I already have to an extent the better.

But I'd like inline volume control if possible, if an amp is suggested, using USB power rather than batteries would be a big plus, and staying affordable ($45 or less). Odds are that's not gonna happen tho on the amp. I'm fine with that.

My next thoughts are to integrate a mic to the headphones, create my own gaming headset...i'm still considering the Zalman MC1, but she won't be using the mic to the TBA2's ( HPA2 Replacement Parts )...that leaves me with a free mic to make a 3.5mm port and route to my x-fi, one that I'm already used to as-far-as senstivity-wise and adjustability-wise. Moutning it similarly to how it is on the HPA2 would be cool, but I dunno if I want to interfere with the LH cup for that purpose...but I would like to figure something out that ends up clean, sturdy and useful and not a damn clip-on...yet if I still want it removed, I just simply unplug it.

I'd like some thoughts and suggestions, I have been referred here by some friends on Techpowerup! Forums, I've read quite a few threads here over time, great forum, lots of info. But please do remember I'm on a budget, and keeping below $100 total is almost a requirement at this point in time, but I've already lost my TB's to her, and my old plantronics can't come close to what I had...the 900's are on the way, now I just gotta make em' gamer friendly, with a possibility of in-line volume control. Thanks for your time!

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #125 of 209
I think some of the 900s might not come with the plastic "acoustic lens" anymore. Mine don't have them. I did trade for them, though. Trying to figure out if the original owner removed them and forgot them or something. It looks untouched, though, so I don't think it's the case. Plus, they apparently don't change the sound at all.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #126 of 209
BTW, has anyone completely removed the felt, instead of just that top layer? I removed the top layer, but it turned out very inconsistent...and the only way to fix it would be to remove ALL of it (yes, I did work on it for quite a while). Yeah, I'm a bit OCD with these things.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #127 of 209
Yes, I removed the felt completely. I peeled off as much of the felt as I could. Then I bored out the individual holes in the grill. As I recall (this was months ago), I used a blunt object to punch in each hole. I started near the edge of the hole, not the middle, so that I was left with a flap of felt that I removed with tweezers. Of course, you'll need to be careful not to punch the diaphragm.

The highs were a bit more apparent, but still timid. I don't think the problem is with the enclosure or felt. I think the problem is the driver.

Aug 18, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #128 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by micmacmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I removed the felt completely. I peeled off as much of the felt as I could. Then I bored out the individual holes in the grill. As I recall (this was months ago), I used a blunt object to punch in each hole. I started near the edge of the hole, not the middle, so that I was left with a flap of felt that I removed with tweezers. Of course, you'll need to be careful not to punch the diaphragm.

The highs were a bit more apparent, but still timid. I don't think the problem is with the enclosure or felt. I think the problem is the driver.

I'm pretty sensitive to highs. I find a lot of things very harsh when others may not.

So far, they sound fine to me.

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #129 of 209
I should have elaborated what I meant by "problem." I still own these cans and love the bass. Nothing better than listening to Marcus Miller on them. But I was looking for something with more vivid highs to complement them.

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #130 of 209
I bought these cans a few weeks ago and did the mods.Burn-in was roughly 80 hours. I used butyl tape used to flash window flanges and also damped the enclosure. The bass is pretty good and can really slam...pretty tight too. The mids and highs aren't so great but for $55 I really can't complain. I use these for watching movies on my PDVDP. I can't stand to listen to music on these but I'm comparing these to my others cans costing 6x.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #134 of 209
Just did the felt removal and I must say it has been such a huge change. Yesterday, I put these RX900s in my empty RX700 box intending on selling the thing but I was moving today to my campus apartment and didn't feel like bringing my higher end cans so I brought the RX900 instead. Tonight, I decided to just do the felt removal because I felt like embarking on a new voyage and got good results. The headphones are now listenable and doesn't cause me to remove them after ten seconds. Thanks TopPop for coming up with this because you've breathed new life into these.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #135 of 209
Well, I just put some acoustic stuffing in. I'm a little bit OCD about these things, and I feel like maybe one side has more in it than the other and that it's causing a slight sound difference in sides. But I can't tell...I'm thinking it's just a placebo type thing and that it's probably fine. :/ Wish there was a good way to test for this, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back