JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...)
Feb 27, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #46 of 209
I actually prefer the RX700, even after all the mods to the 900. Its still more controlled and forward. They have slightly less depth, but to me its a more enjoyable sound. Only thing I did to the 700 was stuff the cups and remove some felt over the driver. Amazing phones for the price.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #47 of 209
I've been going back and forth between my 900s and HD555s and i had an interesting questoin I'd like to ask: Does anyone else thingk the 900s really sound like they want to be an open can? cause honestly going back and forth between the two seems like they are like polar opposites(HD555 highs>mids>lows & 900s lows>mids>highs) but at the same time were you to switch the drivers they would sound nearly similar. And now that leads me to an extremely odd question: is there any way i could try to mess with the back panel to "make them open" or would i end up jsut ruining the headphones altogether OR do you think its interesting enough to be worth the risk?! honestly i'm staring at my dremel right now and trying not to jump the gun here. PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEE!

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #48 of 209
^That's funny, because I was thinking the exact same thing when I was listening to them yesterday!

Although, from the outside, it looks like the outside face of the cup is a "cap" which can be removed, when looking on the inside of the cup, however, it can be seen that it is actually part of the same plastic as the rest of the cup.

It seems that it would provide interesting results to cut this "cap" off, and put a metal grill in. Hmmm...

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #49 of 209
I'm probably horribly underqualified to try what I'm planning but for once I'd like to not think about the damage i can do and just go for it. Of course I'd like to find any info on turning a closed can into an open one that i can find before i attempt this. Also i was thinking that since it "does" look like a cap why can i just make it into one? I'm sure this will require much time and research but for once i don't care. Making that back plate into a cap that can be interchangable with a grill will probably take some doing(SUPREME UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR) but i believe that I can get it done..........unless someone beats me to it in which case you'd better hide them and never tell me about cause I WILL find them and have a listen........

I'll probaly have to wait until april when im out for summer break to try this but in the meantime I'll have to talk to a few engineering buddies of mine and see if we can brainstorm some way to get this done. Of course I could always offer it to them as a project for class........(but to be honest i'd like to do everyything myself for the I DID BOOOYAH! feeling but i dont want to ruin them becuase of stupidity)

wow head-fi, first you pillage my wallet and now your forcing me to go all mad scientist on my headphones.......what have you done to me?

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #50 of 209
^This sounds promising. Consider me intrigued.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #51 of 209
i went ahead and did dynamat at the back of driver, a 2" diameter dynamat circle on the cup, and some stuffing. the results is awesome, definitely suit my taste. the most obvious thing is that there is more mid and high, since the bass doesn't get in the way anymore. the boomy bass isn't all gone, but dramatically reduced. the reduction bass isn't so significant to kill the musicality, as songs that are bassy still has that power, just little more tighter. sometimes when i listen, i wonder if i should put a little more stuffing to reduce the bass just a little bit. probably the worst thing is something like hip hop (modern day hip hop) wouldn't work too well with the new tighter bass. also, i feel soundstage may have gotten bigger, or at least the depth has. i would have to say that the mod definitely can only improves the sound. (prepare to have a little fun with dynamat, it is a very weird thing to me. cutting and working it down was an interesting experience)

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #52 of 209
Its great to hear that the mod works for both the RX700 and the RX900. This really solidifies my decision to get the RX700, buy the RX900 pads and mod them from there.

I heard about the increase in weight. How noticeable is this? Will it decrease the comfort of the headphones drastically or just a little?

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #53 of 209
with just the dynamt on the driver and the housing i didnt notice a difference at all. Then again any headphone is light compared to my football helmet so maybe i shouldn't chime in on this lol

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #54 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by No_One411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its great to hear that the mod works for both the RX700 and the RX900. This really solidifies my decision to get the RX700, buy the RX900 pads and mod them from there.

I heard about the increase in weight. How noticeable is this? Will it decrease the comfort of the headphones drastically or just a little?

Huh. That's a good question.

It's hard to tell in my case, because I originally put tons of Dynamat everywhere inside (just take a look at the pics on the mod page). This ended up being way too heavy, so I took out everything except for the large piece on the inside of the cup face (and maybe some small pieces around the back of the driver... I don't remember now). Anyway, it ended up a lot lighter than before, but probably a bit heavier than without any Dynamat whatsoever. How much heavier? Not really sure, since I went backwards with it. If I had to guess, though, I would say that the added weight of putting Dynamat on just the magnet and the inside of the cup face is not going to make too much of a difference.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #55 of 209
If you're worried about weight, consider Dynamat Xtreme. It doesn't contain asphalt (as the original Dynamat did) and is supposed to deaden sound better. As I recall, TopPop used original. Am I right there, TP?

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #56 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by micmacmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're worried about weight, consider Dynamat Xtreme. It doesn't contain asphalt (as the original Dynamat did) and is supposed to deaden sound better. As I recall, TopPop used original. Am I right there, TP?

That's right. I had all but run out of Xtreme on other projects, so I ordered Original because it was cheaper. If I had it to do again, I probably would have sprung for the Xtreme again.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #58 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by No_One411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the quick response guys! I think I'll buy the RX700 and mod them from there. I don't think the weight will be an issue based on what you said.

Earlier in this thread, I posted a comment that contained some info on sound deadeners in general and addressed the weight issue. I ended up using a product called B-Quite Ultimate that was much cheaper than Dynamat Xtreme (in fact, I got a small sample free from a local bodyshop) and I've been very happy with the results.

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #59 of 209
i tried the 900 pads on the 700 after mod. honestly i dont think it is that great. it really darkens the sound, and might have significant role in the 900's sound. i had a blind subject try the headphone, first with 900 pads on the modded 700, then with stuff 700 pads on modded 700. the subject immediately noticed the brighter more sparkle and musical sound of the stuff 700 pads. man this is so tough considering the fact that the 900 pads are so comfy but kill the sound

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #60 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2kei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried the 900 pads on the 700 after mod. honestly i dont think it is that great. it really darkens the sound, and might have significant role in the 900's sound. i had a blind subject try the headphone, first with 900 pads on the modded 700, then with stuff 700 pads on modded 700. the subject immediately noticed the brighter more sparkle and musical sound of the stuff 700 pads. man this is so tough considering the fact that the 900 pads are so comfy but kill the sound

Hmmmm... what about stuffing the 900 pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back