JVC HA-RX700 Mods
May 23, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #137 of 255

Quote:
I heard these headphones can get quite hot, is there a mod addressing that issue?

Thats just an issue any full size over ear HP have.

Nothing short of using AC vents blowing cold air over you ears will solve the heat issue.
k701smile.gif

May 26, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #139 of 255
Quote:

Also, I still need to make a figure out a new attachment system for the two pieces that makes one cup, as the standard mounting system was remove with the back plade. Right now I have simply attached the two pieces with tape as I am undecided how I want to make it. A simple solution would be to simple glue them together, but I would mean closing them for good.

I've found a good solution to this problem now - double sticky tape. Just a few pieces all around the inner rim and then cut off any visible tape afterward from the outside - so that you cannot see the tape. I can still open them if I want to. :)

Also, you might want to do this on your normal JVC 700s as well if you want to get rid of the creaking noises that you get from touching them on the outer rim. Also, If you want to get rid of creaking noises from touching the outer back shell, you need to fill in more soft matriales between the outer shell and the back plade (the flat one).

Cheers

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #142 of 255

Got around to make them a little prettier. I spray painted some white foam and put it in there + I repaired the silver paint. The silver isn't shiny as of yet, but I'll probably make it so. It doesn't block much sound, if any, naturally. Anyone like it? And have anyone else tried something like this? Or is it just me so far? :p :)

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #143 of 255
Aesthetics wise, I think it looks exponentially better than the stock version. However, I personally think all-black looks better.

Leather headbands and ear-cups please! >:D

Do you think that the mod has had any effects on the sound of your headphone? Does the sound feel more airy?

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #144 of 255

Quote:
Aesthetics wise, I think it looks exponentially better than the stock version. However, I personally think all-black looks better.

Leather headbands and ear-cups please! >
biggrin.gif

Do you think that the mod has had any effects on the sound of your headphone? Does the sound feel more airy?

I'm no sound technician, but I'd say so. Whether or not I'm a victim for my own imagination, I can't say - but technically it should change the sound quite a bit as there's no semi confined chamber that produces resonance and sound feedback. I think they sound very good, anyways. :)

Yeah, I think there's room for all sorts of creativity in terms of colours and other stuff. I'd like to make my own ear pads in the future. Would be fun. :)

Oh, and black foam would look good I think. It would definitely make them more elegant, same with the front. I might make some. Also, it might highlight the grid a bit more. Red is very sexy, imo, and the gird looks even better in real life than in the pictures. More shiny and alive.

Here's with one without showing the blueish colour on the front. Not a high quality picture, though.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #145 of 255

Quote:

Got around to make them a little prettier. I spray painted some white foam and put it in there + I repaired the silver paint. The silver isn't shiny as of yet, but I'll probably make it so. It doesn't block much sound, if any, naturally. Anyone like it? And have anyone else tried something like this? Or is it just me so far? :p :)

Nice to see you went ahead with this mod.

Does it kill all the bass response?

Just adding some clay and a bit of polyfill to my HARX900 eliminated 90% of the lowend.

I was thinking of doing a screen mod with only sections of the replacement panel screened in an attempt to retain all the lowend.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #146 of 255

Quote:

Nice to see you went ahead with this mod.

Does it kill all the bass response?

Just adding some clay and a bit of polyfill to my HARX900 eliminated 90% of the lowend.

I was thinking of doing a screen mod with only sections of the replacement panel screened in an attempt to retain all the lowend.

Nope, there's still more than enough bass for me. I still have to turn the bass down when listening to bass heavy music. I originally thought that it would kill a lot of the bass, but I'd hardly noticed any change to it which is a little strange, I suppose. I'm sure there's a difference, though, but it's a little hard to remember how it sounded before this mod. I think it's because the driver is so big, 50mm.

I can't quite picture what kind of mod you're talking about, but I'd like to see it once you're done, if you do it, that is. :)

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #147 of 255
Instead of using a replacement panel with a full screen doing a wooden piece with possibly 4 vents in a circular pattern around the middle of the panel.

Different sized openings could be used for experimentation.....four circle cutouts, one circle cutout in the middle, etc......

After damping the outer cups of my HARX900 I killed all the bass.

It's possible that the open back allows the driver to move regaining some bass.

Are you amping them?

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #148 of 255

Quote:
Instead of using a replacement panel with a full screen doing a wooden piece with possibly 4 vents in a circular pattern around the middle of the panel.

Different sized openings could be used for experimentation.....four circle cutouts, one circle cutout in the middle, etc......

After damping the outer cups of my HARX900 I killed all the bass.

It's possible that the open back allows the driver to move regaining some bass.

Are you amping them?

Ah, that sounds interesting, indeed. :)

Nope, I just use my notebook or my sansa clip. But I think it's just because I have the sound turned up a bit higher than before to compensate for the decrease in effectiveness, volume wise. I don't think the driver moves much differently than before seeing as it was semi open before this mod.

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #149 of 255
I did the foam mod with cotton and WOW, it's far more comfortable. I prefer the larger soundstage as well; it really suits the sound of these headphones. Bass is lessened, but I feel it's more controlled. The separation of instruments is vastly improved after the mod.
The comfort is the biggest thing, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back