1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

JVC HA-RX700 Mods

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by graphicism, Jul 22, 2009.
First

Back
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
  1. SpeakerBox
    Very impressive list of mods, still wish I had held on to my 700s.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  2. anh165
    Thanks!

Apart from the slight HF roll off, it sounds almost like a different headphone with the modifications, would like to A/B compare it to a stock RX700 just to get an appreciation of how much so.

3. anh165
    Added photos to my post, a few more quick mods which helped with forward vocals.

4. anh165
    New cable soldered in, I wasn't expecting such a change in presentation from this thicker lower capacitance cable! Left-right stereo balance was better, gained significant quantity in bass, flattened the midrange and as expected some more zing in the HF.

Detail seemed to have improved also.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nonetheless, I had to ‘re-voice’ the headphones as it sounded a bit warm n flat for my tastes, removing the alcantara ring I had in the center of the acoustic lens and sealing one of the holes on the driver magnet helped, overall I very happy with the results so far.

Not sure how much further I can take the RX700's, the drivers with stacked magnet mod are decent, however likely still outclassed by headphones that costs hundreds more.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  5. phamine
    I needed new earpads and found this thread again.
    Still using these cans since 2009.

The only mod I did back then was the was the dampening mod, I don't remember what material I used. I remember it improving the bass response and I was happy to pass of the other mods.

Today I finished up with removing the felt from the acoustic lens, using some polyfill, and replacing the earpads. I did each mod and tested each time to hear how it sounds without an equalizer.
    What an improvement from what was already good cans! I should have done these mods 10 years ago!

- Acoustic lens removal: Vocals were defined. Mids and highs are much crisper. The highs may be a bit tinny. I just removed the top part of the felt.
    - Polyfill: There was a little reduction in bass but a lot cleaner
    - Brainwaves Earpads - Better sound staging and comfy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OLKV5LI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I adjusted EQ and these sound incredible. I should have done these mods 10 years ago.

IMG_20190310_111452.jpg IMG_20190310_104522.jpg IMG_20190310_104534.jpg IMG_20190310_104615.jpg IMG_20190310_104439.jpg IMG_20190310_105215.jpg IMG_20190310_104903.jpg

Anyone else still have these headphones?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  6. Kursah
    Still using mine daily since I put the NVX angled pads on them. MUCH better than the Brainwavs HM5 standard style pads IMHO, though I had trouble getting a good seal with them...they were comfy but getting the best sound was harder. My wife stopped using them...now I may need to buy another pair of RX700's and pads lol!

Even the RX700 stock pads have an angle to them. The NVX + EQ made these something else to my ears. Made me put down my AKG K553 Pro's that I've used primarily and happily for the past 4.5 years. There's still things the AKG's do far better, especially with clear and detailed mids/hi's... but the 700s are so damn comfortable with these pads and the sound is so fun while to my ears improving almost everything...clearly driver aiming/placement is more important with these. These do far more bass than I can tolerate with a bass heavy EQ driven by my old Aune T1 original.

I've been debating doing some of the other mods I haven't in the past 10+ years either. Pretty much the felt mod and pads is all, and again, the NVX pads were totally worth it and made these cans my daily drivers again. I am debating doing the dampening mod...

Glad you're enjoying yours as well! Cheers!

7. SpeakerBox
    When I still had my 700s the NVX pads made a definite improvement.

8. sman789
    Thanks for posting that. I've neglected my RX700s for a few years now. They were my first set of good cans. Been using the M1060, SHP9500 and T40RP for a good long bit. Just threw on the JVCs (I already had the angled pads on them), they're so much fun to listen to. Planning to do the cable mod soon.

First

Back
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16