JVC HA-RX700. Best headphones ever.
Jun 12, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #46 of 82
Best headphone ever if SR60 and Bose were the only headphones maybe. 

I thought they had a God awful midrange, sounded hollow and the tone was off, and it seemed to have gaps in it's frequency response, or dips where there should not have been.  I prefer the ksc-75 by a pretty huge margin.

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #47 of 82
I don't know about this "best headphone ever" business,  but they do perform reasonably well for both being under $40 and for being circumaural.  I prefer the sound of a few headphones at or under their price,  but all of them are portable/generally leak noise/not suited well for boomy bass-reliant music.  Basically:  they're strong at what they do offer. I'm glad to see someone enjoying them so much.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #48 of 82
Quote:
I thought they had a God awful midrange, sounded hollow and the tone was off, and it seemed to have gaps in it's frequency response, or dips where there should not have been.  I prefer the ksc-75 by a pretty huge margin.

This!

For what it's worth, they have a decent upper end, and the bass is a little sloppy but very impressive for the price.

The huge soundstage (modded) and warm presentation is a good combo too.

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #51 of 82
No, I turn the vocals off and listen to the background music only.
biggrin.gif
When I listen to decent audio playback from Diana Krall, Etta James, Cassandra Wilson....there is nothing but wonderful vocals.

GIGO. Trash in , trash out. CDP: Rega / Pio Elite BDP 51f with Wolfson DACs. Internect cables: Kimber Silver Streaks. Amp: Pio Elite A35 R. No compressed audio allowed in my set up. I only listen up compressed audio from my I-touch when I walk my dog.

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #52 of 82
Seems that Manfred Mann also praised the HARX700 in their lyrics:

You are the moment Martha's madman came out of darkness,
You are the eyeglass of the nearly, nearly blind,
You are the footprint in the sand of Easter island,
You are the fusion in the furnace of the sun.

You are the time between solar fire and the silence,
You are the last chord in the symphony of the lost,
You are the sign between the high road and the low road,
You are the pen in the moving hand of time.

You are the last post played by the Alamo soldier,
You are a spaceman at the very edge of time,
You are the single shaft of sunlight in the night time,
You are the coolness in the very heat of the fire.

You are the moment Martha's madman came out of darkness,
You are the eyeglass of the nearly, nearly blind,
You are, you are...

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #54 of 82

Quote:

So what? The dude does not like the RX700 but I do and so do you. Who cares!

Just saying that the midrange is kind of crap, I'm not even mad! I like the 700's overall but their midrange does nothing for me.

Quote:
Do you guys listen to music with vocals?

A lot of rock, yeah, but I EQ the bass down and the treble up to make things more neutral. Otherwise they're too warm for it.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #57 of 82

Quote:
Are you talkin' about modded RX700s or stock RX700s? I mean the felt removal mod to be specific since they're supposed to bring out the middle and higher frequencies.

I'm talking about stock RX700.  I didn't like them enough to even consider modding.  It wasn't just incoherent FR problems, and it wasn't the warm sound that bugged me, I like warm headphones I love my Sextetts.  But the midrange with these sounded hollow and plasticky, the tone just wasn't right for vocals.  I don't imagine changing the damping would change this, as I think tone is more driver related.  I can say with more certainty that no amount of amping would have fixed these problems. 

If you like them then that's great because they're cheap, but I'm sharing my perspective.  I'm very picky about tone so these aren't the first headphones that haven't sounded right to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back