JVC HA-RX700. Best headphones ever.
Mar 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #16 of 82
Quote:
Quote:

I've had the RX700s and RX900s, and I feel the D2000s hands down beat the JVCs. The JVCs just sounded...fuzzy and off compared to other headphones, even after mods. Still, they're incredible for the price.

Plugged into what?

If you're just using an MP3 player or computer soundcard then it all just goes up in the air, even the best of headphones can sound... fuzzy.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #17 of 82

Quote:
Quote:

I've had the RX700s and RX900s, and I feel the D2000s hands down beat the JVCs. The JVCs just sounded...fuzzy and off compared to other headphones, even after mods. Still, they're incredible for the price.

I have the RX900 and I have to agree with yout that it sounds off and weird compared to my other headphones, DESPITE modding them. They have a weird frequency response, especially in the bass range, that makes them sound a bit awkward. They still have great details and imaging but they don't sound like my other headphones(I know different headphones sounds difference, but the RX900 are just way off). 

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #18 of 82
Quite funny that these would be compared to D2000s!  I didn't get to listen very seriously, but I was at a friend's house to do some recording and forgot to bring my M50s... so I picked up his pair of JVCs and was ready to cringe but they actually sounded really nice, with big, warm bass.

I'll have to give them a better listen next time.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #19 of 82

Quote:
I have the RX900 and I have to agree with yout that it sounds off and weird compared to my other headphones, DESPITE modding them. They have a weird frequency response, especially in the bass range, that makes them sound a bit awkward. They still have great details and imaging but they don't sound like my other headphones(I know different headphones sounds difference, but the RX900 are just way off). 

Can someboby come up with the FR chart of the HAXR 700 and the M50s ? I am all ears or all eyes
etysmile.gif

I know about the GIGO so I won't go there.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #22 of 82
Quote:
Quite funny that these would be compared to D2000s!  I didn't get to listen very seriously, but I was at a friend's house to do some recording and forgot to bring my M50s... so I picked up his pair of JVCs and was ready to cringe but they actually sounded really nice, with big, warm bass.

I'll have to give them a better listen next time.

Yeah, I find that quite interesting. I'm glad JVC makes really nice budget products, so that users new to the audiophile world don't have to spend an arm and a leg for great sound. Man, I wish I would have bought a pair back when I had either pair of my D2000, so I could compare the two. I would absolutely love to get the "D2000" for $40, so I may just have to pick one up sometime.

Although, many will still say that $40 is an arm and a leg.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #23 of 82
I'm thinking about buying these just for curiosity. Who knows..it may replace my D2000 if it's good enough.

Graphicism, I know you don't own the Denon anymore, but you think you can give a more specific comparison of these two cans(what source used, etc)? I'm baffled as to how a $30 phone can "hands down" beat a headphone that is well-regarded by everyone including experienced Headfiers, various sources from AVguide, HeadRoom, and even live sound engineers. Do RX700 really have the sub-bass impact, detail, and the wide soundstage of the Denons? Maybe your amp wasn't a right pairing resulting in too much bass..after all I don't even think they are that bass heavy even when compared to HD650, yet you think these are more bass heavy than the Ultrasone Pro 900 which is supposedly a bass monster.

Nonetheless if I get a chance to listen to the JVC and end up keeping them, I'll be sure to thank you for it. I'm just a little hesitant since you are such a minority in this opinion.

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #24 of 82
Well it should be noted all headphones mentioned; D2000, RX700, HD650 and Pro 900 are all adjusted for bass, certainly not neutral or reference by any stretch of the imagination.

With that in mind my preference of RX700 over the D2000s came down to a slightly cleaner mid-range, the Denons require an extensive adaption to correct this. I believe this was also corrected somewhat later on by Denon themselves with the release of their D7000, I haven't heard these myself however hear they are still tuned for bass.

This 'sub-bass' impact and detail you speak of is thuds and vibrations, not music. If you want this in-the-club effect you will find the Denons more to your liking. Most decent headphones will produce these low bass notes very well and with detail, the Denons and other aforementioned cans are simply louder in this department.

As far as equipment I used a solid state Meier Headfive and a Singlepower PPX3 SLAM tube amp. My source at the time was an AV-710 and Squeezebox V3. What source and amp are you using TobaccoRoad?

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #25 of 82
I believe I have just found a can i will mod and play around with....oh the orture it's going to go through.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #26 of 82
I mentioned the HD650 because I always viewed Denon as a middle ground compared to mid-emphasized cans (HD650, DT880, K702) and bass-emphasized (Ultrasones, Sony XB), which I thought had SLIGHTLY emphasized bass and treble as the frequency graph do show a relatively flat response unlike rest of the bass heavy cans. Did you really feel that D2000 had more bass than the Pro 900?

Yes I agree D2000 have a touch of boom in mid-bass, but that doesn't necessarily contradict the quality of the sound imo. My Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10 actually have more mid-bass, but the Denon produces better sub-bass, resulting a little bit boomy, but still goes all the way down as it was tested by Dave Rat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHkb4bhdnRA&feature=player_embedded. Are RX700 capable of doing this? BTW my source is Nuforce HDP.

Here's a full test where he eventually replaced his Sony CD3000 with Denon D2000 for his live sound headphones: http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/categories/27-The-Mighty-Headphone-Quest

So yeah, the reason I defend the Denon is not only because of my homerism or fanboyism or w/e you call it, but also because your view differs a little as I think you're being over-critical compared to rest of the reviews. Sadly I haven't tried the JVC yet so I only have you and others to depend on, but I still think Denons are worth the money even if RX700 are comparable somewhat because all the other headphones have to be factored in as well. That said, I can't wait to try the JVCs.

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #27 of 82
The Denons aren't middle ground, they are bass emphasized. DT880s aren't mid-emphasized either, maybe coming from D2000s they will sound so but they should be considered neutral, much like Sennheisers HD800. D2000s had more sloppy bass than the Pro 900s however the Ultrasone had a much higher volume of sub bass. For bass heads I'd suggest the Denons for Hip Hop and DnB and the Ultrasones for EDM, faster techno that sort of music.

I haven't heard the Nuforce HDP but chances are like most cheap sources the sound will be somewhat congested and lack detail at both extremes, you may disagree now but as you scale up you'll understand what I'm talking about. It was only a couple years ago that I was content with my cheap source and D2000s. With this in mind as you upgrade and hear more details your views on the Denons may well change. I also believe the more you listen to music you'll find you want neutral, something you may have found dull at the start of your audio journey.

I've messaged Dave Rat in the past and he's a bass head, as I've said previously and to him also is that the majority of headphones will drop lower than human hearing on a good source. The ONLY reason Denons are preferred is for there heightened bass which is a couple of notches louder than the rest of the spectrum. Another way to test this is to run a bass slide on TTG and you'll find the Denons create the woofer-like vibration sound sooner than neutral cans. This is not only enjoyable for a bass head but upon listening you would get the idea that they extend further, they don't. Likewise this is why when moving from a Denon to something more neutral you would find them not only mid-centric but bass deficient in comparison. Likewise if I go from listening to my DT880s to the RX700s I find the JVC's very warm sounding and bass heavy.

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #28 of 82
No I definitely agree with you. I appreciated the HD650 while I had it, but at the stage I'm in I still prefer the bassy signature, so now I just have the HD595 for open, somewhat neutral cans. I will disagree though that your preferred sound will change not based on your gear, but your musical taste as you get older. For example I'm still in my 20s so I like my hip-hop, but as I get older I'll probably move on to more mellow, jazzy type of music. But at no point will I ever prefer neutral sound when I'm still listening to rap music, although some EDM listeners apparently like it that way. I don't listen to EDM so I wouldn't know.

The only question I have right now at this point is whether RX700 really compares with D2000..this I think I have to find out myself. You should make a thread on this subject. It may tick off the Denon owners but if would surely reveal some truth if you turn out to be right.

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #29 of 82

Quote:
The Denons aren't middle ground, they are bass emphasized. DT880s aren't mid-emphasized either, maybe coming from D2000s they will sound so but they should be considered neutral, much like Sennheisers HD800. D2000s had more sloppy bass than the Pro 900s however the Ultrasone had a much higher volume of sub bass. For bass heads I'd suggest the Denons for Hip Hop and DnB and the Ultrasones for EDM, faster techno that sort of music.

I haven't heard the Nuforce HDP but chances are like most cheap sources the sound will be somewhat congested and lack detail at both extremes, you may disagree now but as you scale up you'll understand what I'm talking about. It was only a couple years ago that I was content with my cheap source and D2000s. With this in mind as you upgrade and hear more details your views on the Denons may well change. I also believe the more you listen to music you'll find you want neutral, something you may have found dull at the start of your audio journey.

I've messaged Dave Rat in the past and he's a bass head, as I've said previously and to him also is that the majority of headphones will drop lower than human hearing on a good source. The ONLY reason Denons are preferred is for there heightened bass which is a couple of notches louder than the rest of the spectrum. Another way to test this is to run a bass slide on TTG and you'll find the Denons create the woofer-like vibration sound sooner than neutral cans. This is not only enjoyable for a bass head but upon listening you would get the idea that they extend further, they don't. Likewise this is why when moving from a Denon to something more neutral you would find them not only mid-centric but bass deficient in comparison. Likewise if I go from listening to my DT880s to the RX700s I find the JVC's very warm sounding and bass heavy.

Thank you for the graph but this thread is about the budget JVC HARX700 so I would appreciate you or any one that can come up with the graph of the HARX700 VS the AD2000 even though it seems unfair to compare the two cans price wise but who knows ....Reality sometimes hurts.  

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #30 of 82
Quote:
Plugged into what?

If you're just using an MP3 player or computer soundcard then it all just goes up in the air, even the best of headphones can sound... fuzzy.

I've tried them from the same sources (good or bad). The RX700s just sound off in comparison. Fuzzy and muddy...

Quote:
This 'sub-bass' impact and detail you speak of is thuds and vibrations, not music. If you want this in-the-club effect you will find the Denons more to your liking. Most decent headphones will produce these low bass notes very well and with detail, the Denons and other aforementioned cans are simply louder in this department.

I don't know if you've ever listened to metal live (my primary genre), but there are plenty of "thuds and vibrations" at a concert. Similarly, if you're used to 12" subwoofers tuned for neutrality and accuracy, you definitely get "thuds and vibrations" if it's in the recording. The D2000s seem to nicely emulate what a subwoofer would do without sacrificing the rest of the sound spectrum, though a good source and amp definitely help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back