JVC HA-RX700. Best headphones ever.
Mar 7, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #31 of 82
Quote:
I don't know if you've ever listened to metal live (my primary genre), but there are plenty of "thuds and vibrations" at a concert. Similarly, if you're used to 12" subwoofers tuned for neutrality and accuracy, you definitely get "thuds and vibrations" if it's in the recording. The D2000s seem to nicely emulate what a subwoofer would do without sacrificing the rest of the sound spectrum, though a good source and amp definitely help.

On a good headphone (and source) thuds and vibrations turn into kick drums and bass guitars, it's wonderful.

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #33 of 82
"JVC HA-RX700. Best headphones ever."

Eureka!

My search is over.

rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #34 of 82
To be fair to the Head-Fier's that have the negative comments about the RX-700, there are a few things that have to be in place for the RX-700 to have good SQ. The JVC needs extensive burn-in time; from 300-400 hrs. and it has to be used with a very good desktop or portable SS amplifier to reach it's full potential. With most portable devices and soundcards the JVC sounds bloated in the bass and very dark in the midrange and highend. I think it may be a pickier headphone to match amplification to than many people realize. For more info. refer to the "Official JVC HA-RX700 thread" for more. Happy Listening. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #35 of 82

Quote:
To be fair to the Head-Fier's that have the negative comments about the RX-700, there are a few things that have to be in place for the RX-700 to have good SQ. The JVC needs extensive burn-in time; from 300-400 hrs. and it has to be used with a very good desktop or portable SS amplifier to reach it's full potential. With most portable devices and soundcards the JVC sounds bloated in the bass and very dark in the midrange and highend. I think it may be a pickier headphone to match amplification to than many people realize. For more info. refer to the "Official JVC HA-RX700 thread" for more. Happy Listening. 

Well, the title is a bit out of the line but I can understand the overwhelming experience . I would call it "The best headphones under $50.00 ".

These HPs are not meant to be used without an amp to achieve its full potential. Again, system synergy is a major factor to achieve a well-balanced sound reproduction. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #37 of 82
Quote:
On a good headphone (and source) thuds and vibrations turn into kick drums and bass guitars, it's wonderful.

On a great headphone, drum kicks sound like drum kicks AND have a nice thud to them. You know, like in real life. All thud and vibration is just...a mess.

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #38 of 82

Quote:
I've messaged Dave Rat in the past and he's a bass head, as I've said previously and to him also is that the majority of headphones will drop lower than human hearing on a good source. The ONLY reason Denons are preferred is for there heightened bass which is a couple of notches louder than the rest of the spectrum. Another way to test this is to run a bass slide on TTG and you'll find the Denons create the woofer-like vibration sound sooner than neutral cans. This is not only enjoyable for a bass head but upon listening you would get the idea that they extend further, they don't. Likewise this is why when moving from a Denon to something more neutral you would find them not only mid-centric but bass deficient in comparison. Likewise if I go from listening to my DT880s to the RX700s I find the JVC's very warm sounding and bass heavy.

Wait..did Dave actually say this? And what exactly did you message him about?

Mar 9, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #39 of 82
Quote:
Quote:
On a great headphone, drum kicks sound like drum kicks AND have a nice thud to them. You know, like in real life. All thud and vibration is just...a mess.

You're overlooking my quip... The Denons when compared to a flat response headphone/monitor have elevated bass, they are tuned for bass, I don't know how else to explain this. So... when you have a kick drum you have extra vibrations which sound more like a sub woofer and less like a kick drum. I'll also add this is why so many people are perfectly happy without upgrading there source or find nothing wrong Fiio products and portable amps, I'm feeling a rant coming on so in short... the flat response headphones you find boring and/or lacking comes down to the rest of your setup and inability to distinguish sound.

Quote:
Wait..did Dave actually say this? And what exactly did you message him about?

No a frequency chart will tell you that. I messaged Dave in regards to headphones to try back when he was 'experimenting' and it quickly became clear he was looking for bass not overall sound quality. I'll say again almost all decent headphones will produce low bass notes, much lower than human hearing, however a lot of people expect that reverberating woofer bass and write that down as extension. So what you end up with is people listening to an elevated bass EQ, calling that neutral and anything less than that is deficient. Funnily enough this also explains why so many records and poorly recorded today, but that's for another time.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #40 of 82

Quote:

You're overlooking my quip... The Denons when compared to a flat response headphone/monitor have elevated bass, they are tuned for bass

Sorry, I'm a little lost. Are all Denons tuned for bass, or what model specifically? Because even if it doesn't sound flat, I still like the way you described its sound, that a drum kick might sound bigger and bassier than it really is. The way I put the EQ in iTunes and Winamp is the 32 Hz band at +12dB, 64 Hz slightly lower, and in my receiver the bass is also at the maximum. I guess you could say I'm a basshead, so I would like to write down the model of those Denon to keep in mind for the future, even though I love my RX700s, but if the Denons give me even more bass (and these JVCs have the best bass of any headphones I ever had or put on my head) I definitely would like to have them some day, provided that they have good mids and highs.

On another subject, I would like your opinions on whether or not I need a headphone amp and which model. The way I listen to music with the headphones is from the computer because it's the only way I can use an EQ, whether it's the one in iTunes, Winamp or the sound chip's control panel (I don't have a dedicated sound card, but it's an expensive motherboard that can output up to 24bit/96 kHz). From the computer a coaxial digital cable goes straight to the receiver, a Pioneer VSX-1020-K. Obviously pluging in the headphones to the receiver sounds far better than directly to the computer's headphones output. Would I benefit much or at all if I put a headphone amplifier between the receiver and the RX700? My guess is I wouldn't since the RX700s sound really loud and powerful as it is, but I would like other opinions, and if you think I would get a good improvement from an amplifier, what's a decent brand and model? Keep in mind I have zero knowledge of headphone amplifiers, until two weeks ago I didn't even know they existed.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #41 of 82

Quote:

No a frequency chart will tell you that. I messaged Dave in regards to headphones to try back when he was 'experimenting' and it quickly became clear he was looking for bass not overall sound quality. I'll say again almost all decent headphones will produce low bass notes, much lower than human hearing, however a lot of people expect that reverberating woofer bass and write that down as extension. So what you end up with is people listening to an elevated bass EQ, calling that neutral and anything less than that is deficient. Funnily enough this also explains why so many records and poorly recorded today, but that's for another time.

Actually most people are aware of the bass extension. Even the cheapest earbuds can have a frequency response of something like 10hz - 23khz but you don't see anyone judging by that specs. When people say "LCD2 has great bass extension" they're not actually referring to the true response, but the slight emphasis it gives for the enjoyment of sound.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #42 of 82
I own both, I got the D2000's on a good deal last year and I love em. I've owned the HARX700's for a couple years or close to it now, did the foam mod and am in fact using them right now. I dug them out of the storage bin in the closet, and hung up the D2000's for a bit. I run them directly out of the HP jack on my Auzen X-Fi Forte, so no not an amazing amp, but it gets the job done for me and keeps desk-bound clutter to a minimum. But back to what I came to post here about, I believe that the D2000's do sound better overall and they should for the extra cost, but honestly I feel my pair of mildy modded HARX700's (foam pad mod and felt removal mod) are 75% there on the D2000's. I enjoy both, but the D2000's are lighter and vastly more comfortable (leaps and bounds)...not saying the 700's are horridly uncomfortable, but after being used to the D2000's comfort for so long the stock pads do in fact suck in my opinion. I may try lighter density foam under the pads to see if that helps a little bit. Another item is that my ears get hotter much sooner with the 700's, and I must remove them and take a break much sooner and more often than the D2000's.

I do feel the 700's are better suited to faster music, the bass is tighter overall, but the D2000's emphasize deeper bass. I also feel the D2000's have a crisper treble and upper mid sound, where the 700's is a tad dull in comparison, vocals are easy to hear on both, but the D2000's seems to bring out more in my music and games. Granted my source, eq tuning, listening preferences all play a part in my opinion. I really have enjoyed both. I don't like the hinges on the D2000's, they are sturdy, but it is a known weak spot and I've had no issues. They were easy as the 700's to adapt a mic to for Teamspeak/gaming. Again, the D2000's are much, much, much more comfortable, but is that worth the price difference to you? Every once in a while I consider selling my D2000's to try something new, maybe from the beyer line, but the 700's are staying and I may just mod them further someday. Definitely a solid value for the $30-40 range, I've yet to see another pair in that price range offer what these do and I've recommended them plenty of times with confidence.

I just wish I could mix the D2000's comfort and lightness with the RX700's value. I'd gladly pay $100 for such a combination. But honestly I'd rather find a pad replacement for the 700 than replace them in my collection. Cheers.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #43 of 82
You can buy RX900 earpads for about 30$/pair at:

http://store.jvc.com/product.asp?Model=J48247-001

http://bluetin.com/catalog/victor-jvc_victor-jvc-rx-900-j48247-001-earpads-pair-for-ha-rx900-hp-rx900.html

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/e-earphone/item/1052/

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #45 of 82
Even a fool with money can buy the most expensive gear. It's take a person with passion to have a good system set up. Having said that, during my 40 something I  have heard all the arrogant and immature remarks such as " This amp will blow that amp out of the water", " This gear will beat the pant out of the other one ", " This cans will mope the floor with other cans". It's so predictable and shallow to pitch one component against the other component with the purpose to put down someone else ownership. IMO, such needy for self validation is kind of old and senseless.

I have owned and still own some of the ultra hi-end gear from pre/amp/CDP/ speakers to some of the low budget cans to mid-end cans and my most expensive cans are the ATH-W5000 which arrives tomorrow but I do not feel the JVC HARX700 deserved being a mockery, It's a damned good pair of HPs that at the performance / price ratio is inferior to some cans cost a lot more .

I love my HARX 700 for what they can do for me within its price point as much as I love my 5k Electrostatic speakers. Now if I can get a hold of the DX 1000 new in box at  reasonable price, I will be one happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back