JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
May 5, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2,791 of 3,271
Just for everyone to be aware of treating their earphones with the upmost care.

I felt lazy one day and decided to tale my laptop and tablet on hand while wearing the ortofon eq-5 and headong to a library to do some work. I had the fxz100 on my hand as i wanted to avoid covering the eartips with lint due to laziness. When i rerurned home, i carried the fxz100 along with the tablet and laptop, tje tablet slipped along with the earphone. The fxz100 had been pressed on and died on the roght channel, but not completely. If i move the cable in a specific angle, it will work. Now i do not know.whether to purchase another or solder the earphone. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm willing to listen.

Do not let an earphone out of your sight, that is my only warning to people. Or else

My ortofons were connected to the tablet and were yanked, instilling fear in a loss of another earphone, fortunately it lives, but i wont continue treatingy earphones this way.

May 10, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #2,792 of 3,271
May 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,793 of 3,271
I recently acquired a pair of FXZ100s and I love them. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, I noticed a problem; when I plug it fully into any audio source (Fiio E11, Audioengine D1, computer, ipod 5th gen, Samsung S3, etc.), it sounds as if the vocals are all the way in the next zip code, but the music still plays but without the normal quality (sounds very airy and basically no bass). Then I tried plugging it in half way and everything is fine and dandy... The cables don't seem to have suffered any damage and I have kept them in my hard Shure case all of the time, so I can only assume the problem arises from the headphone plug. 

That said, is it easy to repair/replace it? I have an electrician friend and he could definitely do the soldering for me. If I do choose to replace it, are there any particular plugs that are recommended, or do I just pick up any generic one from an electronic store? 

Thanks for your help in advance!

May 13, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #2,794 of 3,271
Quote:
I recently acquired a pair of FXZ100s and I love them. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, I noticed a problem; when I plug it fully into any audio source (Fiio E11, Audioengine D1, computer, ipod 5th gen, Samsung S3, etc.), it sounds as if the vocals are all the way in the next zip code, but the music still plays but without the normal quality (sounds very airy and basically no bass). Then I tried plugging it in half way and everything is fine and dandy... The cables don't seem to have suffered any damage and I have kept them in my hard Shure case all of the time, so I can only assume the problem arises from the headphone plug. 

That said, is it easy to repair/replace it? I have an electrician friend and he could definitely do the soldering for me. If I do choose to replace it, are there any particular plugs that are recommended, or do I just pick up any generic one from an electronic store? 

Thanks for your help in advance!

Definitely sounds like there is a problem with the plug. If I have to say something negative about the FXZxxx's it has to be about the cable. Especially about it not being user replaceable! I'd be willing to pay a premium to make my FXZ200 cables user replaceable!

May 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #2,795 of 3,271
Would anyone like to buy my fxz-100 ? it's only had about 30 hours wear time. I preferred the sound from the philips fidelio s2 that's why i'm selling the jvcs. do pm me if you are interested :)

May 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #2,796 of 3,271
Quote:
Definitely sounds like there is a problem with the plug. If I have to say something negative about the FXZxxx's it has to be about the cable. Especially about it not being user replaceable! I'd be willing to pay a premium to make my FXZ200 cables user replaceable!

Ah I see. 

Is a headphone plug easily replaceable? The soldering/wire-cutting part my friend can handle, but are there other things I should watch out for? I don't want to start cutting wires then find out it can't be fixed lol...

May 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #2,798 of 3,271
Quote:
http://www.btg-audio.com/mods.htm

Though I've never been to him personally, I've heard good things about this guy's work. Had him bookmarked for awhile now.

^ Thanks Panda.
wink_face.gif

May 17, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #2,799 of 3,271
My friend finally got his FXZ200 and they sound amazing. They're pretty early on, but they don't sound terrible open box and I can hear the potential, man!

@sfwalcer I agree with you 50%. The FXZ200s are amazing, you're right about that. They are definitely the closest to my ideal sound of any IEMs I've ever heard. Now, where I think you're crazy: why did you give up your CKN70s? Being a fellow S500 cult member, I would think you would love them after they're burned in. They have a unique sound that is worth having around for when you want to switch it up.

May 17, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #2,800 of 3,271
Quote:
My friend finally got his FXZ200 and they sound amazing. They're pretty early on, but they don't sound terrible open box and I can hear the potential, man!

@sfwalcer I agree with you 50%. The FXZ200s are amazing, you're right about that. They are definitely the closest to my ideal sound of any IEMs I've ever heard. Now, where I think you're crazy: why did you give up your CKN70s? Being a fellow S500 cult member, I would think you would love them after they're burned in. They have a unique sound that is worth having around for when you want to switch it up.

haha guess i got called out. You see the CKN70s indeed are great sounding but their sound signature is not THAT unique to me. The gr07 BEs i would consider has a really special sound, while the CKN70s sounds just like a more refined version of my FX40s. I get about the same amount to satisfaction from listening to them as with the CKN70s. Plus i sold/ traded it away despite it wasn't my ideal price cuz someone needed it more than me so.... just trying to help out another head-fier.

I think i can live without the CKN70s, and if i miss them i can always just listen to my FX40s. Go do a A/B between the 2, cuz they sound so similar sound siggy wise, no doubt the 70s are more refined and is a total upgrade to the 40s but it is what it is meng. I guess i got spoiled by my audition of those damn cheapo lookin' gr07 BEs. LoL

edit: glad ya'll are digging the FXZ200s so much, keep burning them in like there is not tomorrow. LoL They will even get better.

May 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #2,801 of 3,271
can anyone tell me if there is any SQ difference between the fxz100 and the 200's at all and if its worth purchasing the 200's over 100's, is the bass really more powerful on the 200's than the 100's as the specs only show a 1hz difference

May 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #2,802 of 3,271
Quote:
can anyone tell me if there is any SQ difference between the fxz100 and the 200's at all and if its worth purchasing the 200's over 100's, is the bass really more powerful on the 200's than the 100's as the specs only show a 1hz difference

Difference is pretty slim.  IMO, the bass on the 200's is a bit much.  The midrange sounds somewhat fuller on the 200's.  

May 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2,803 of 3,271
Awaiting a pair of FXZ200 after buying from a fellow Headfi member, intended as an upgrade to my beloved Hippo VB.

Question: They will be powered by a Sansa Clip+. Will I need an amp? If so, which one would be suggested? (Preferably small like the Clip+ as well)

May 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2,804 of 3,271
the fxz200 do not have more bass than the hippo vb's you will be disappointed with them, the VB slam way harder than the fx series 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back