JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Dec 31, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,396 of 3,271
Happy new years everyone, the fxz100s sound magnificient over here and I can hardly wait to get its older brother. Here is a new years resolution everyone should follow at one point in 2013. BUY BOTH FXZs! I love the fxz100's quality compared to the rest of the IEMS, and it astounding for the price. The fxz200s should be a refinement over these, but there should be pros and cons between the two. Everyone should own at least one of these IEMS, and if you feel like you want another SQ, buy BOTH fxz100s or 200s!  Happy listening everyone.

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,397 of 3,271
Happy New Years everyone !!

Dang I spent 2013 reading 40+ pages of this thread just because an opportunity came up on purchasing these IEMs. I ignored this thread after first 30 pages or so after i found out Tenso does not ship to Indonesia. I'd rather sleep well at nights than continue.

A friend goes to HK for the holidays and I know that http://www.mingo-hmw.com/home/ has them. I'm getting the z100. Yay ! I hope they have them in stock. I got XB90EX from them too. It was selling like hotcakes over there.

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #1,400 of 3,271
Happy new years everyone. Woooot!
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #1,401 of 3,271
I'm beginning to have issues with review posted earlier about these being absolutely a "basshead" IEM. This label has a negative connotation to it. I think that headfiers are used to either good/great sounding IEM's with limited bass response or bassy sounding IEM's with different levels of achieving a full range sound. But most fail miserably. Not many, if any IEM's got the full range thing to an audiophile level. Heck there are very few full range speakers and almost no 2.1 systems that achieve this feat. And the speakers that have gotten it correct are $18,000 and up. Integrating 100hz and below seamlessly is something that some audio engineers spend a lifetime trying to perfect.

Here is an example of what I'm saying.

No audiophile would consider these basshead speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2's.

They produce amazing amazing, lush powerful bass. I'm using these because I have auditioned these, but there are many others to choose from.

But, if you got this same sound into an IEM, most Head-Fi'ers would slap a "basshead" label on it regardless of how well they achieved those frequencies. This level of sophistication is foreign to most. They hear and feel 25hz and automatically it is a "basshead IEM. But, in audiophile world they are just know as "full range" speakers.

From what I have read, I'm thinking that the 200's are just that. A true "fullrange" IEM because they got the bass perfect. Instead of distracting from the sound, it compliments the sound. It actually adds to the realism of the mids and highs, like the Salon 2's.

I believe(correct me if I'm wrong), JVC has produced a new level of IEM. Something that can be considered "fullrange"  but not "basshead". It would be insulting to slap that label on the Salon 2's and from the descriptions of the 200's sound it isn't an accurate label.

I may be completely wrong. I haven't listened to the 200's yet. I am going off what I have read and I am mainly hoping this is true because I have mine coming in the mail.
wink_face.gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #1,402 of 3,271
@Painful Chafe, make sure to post your impressions here.....but you really need a couple hundred hours on them before they really start to give serious sound with out some EQ on the low end.....it takes time for these drivers to open up, and for the sub bass/bass to tighten up and settle down some.  They do very well with well mastered cuts, and will expose those that aren't.  The 200's have a unique sound all their own, unlike anything you have heard before.  Also, shallow insertion is best to bring out the detail in the mids and highs, and helps tame some of the bass.  I have been using Meelec double flange tips, clear/white, and the response has been very good for me, and upon a recommendation from some one on this thread, I have ordered the Meelec tri flange tips, clear/white as well......will report on them when they arrive, as they have already shipped.

I think you will like the FXZ200's.....as everyone should at least give them an audition!

Happy New Year, and enjoy your music!

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #1,403 of 3,271
The problem we - as people - seem to have is the need to put labels on everything too much. The simple truth is that the FXZ100 sounds great, and it doesn't sound like any earphone I've heard before. And it has beautiful full deep controlled bass that is nothing short of amazing, and is also nothing I've never heard in any earphone before. Now call it basshead, audiophile, bass-audiophile or whatever doesn't really matter to me. It's a wonderful sounding earphone. You all can see where I rank it now with many others I have heard The bass is significant. Either people will dig it or they won't. It seems, however, that most who have heard it (or the FXZ200) like the IEM(s), and like it a lot. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #1,404 of 3,271
Quote:

Sigh. Basshead implies the quantity of bass, not the quality. Everyone who owns it has said it has a large amount of bass, and I don't see what's wrong with that. I don't see why you'd feel the need to defend the iem from being called what it is.

My favorite iem of all time is the ASG-1 v2 (with highs eq'ed up), and that's bass heavy enough to make the MG7 sound anemic. What I was trying to figure out was whether or not the rest of the signature could cope with that much bass, like my ASG-1 can do effortlessly. The MH1C is also a fantastic example of this. They both are heavy, but fantastically textured.

I've received impressions from ears I trust, so I'm pretty sure that I'll be happy with it should I buy it in the future.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,405 of 3,271
Happy New Years everyone! Using speakers tonight to play some 80's club favorites for the better half. Earphones and headphones are resting.

Have a great 2013!

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #1,406 of 3,271
Quote:

Sigh. Basshead implies the quantity of bass, not the quality. 

Maybe I'm getting old, but as a fair-weather audiophile when I hear someone say, "well, it's a basshead IEM, but it's a great basshead IEM" I have this pavlovian response that's along the lines of hearing "she's a blond, but she's really smart!"

Who makes 'basshead' IEMs?  Are those companies revered, upper tier?  What about 'treblehead' IEMs?  I'm not talking about outliers.

I could be wrong on this.  Time has a way of changing these perceptions.  Perhaps it's worthy of a poll.

EDIT: Just to be clear here, I'm positing the term basshead is a derogatory term amongst audiophiles.  It seems you're implying that it's subjectively neutral meaning that it's just an attribute.  But thinking in the other direction a bit further, I've heard people describe themselves as trebleheads, but I don't recall hearing listening devices described that way... no, they tend to be neutral, accurate, reference.  

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #1,407 of 3,271
Quote:
Happy New Years everyone! Using speakers tonight to play some 80's club favorites for the better half. Earphones and headphones are resting.

Have a great 2013!

beerchug.gif
 Same to you!

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,408 of 3,271
Quote:

Maybe I'm getting old, but as a fair-weather audiophile when I hear someone say, "well, it's a basshead IEM, but it's a great basshead IEM" I have this pavlovian response that's along the lines of hearing "she's a blond, but she's really smart!"

Who makes 'basshead' IEMs?  Are those companies revered, upper tier?  What about 'treblehead' IEMs?  I'm not talking about outliers.

I could be wrong on this.  Time has a way of changing these perceptions.  Perhaps it's worthy of a poll.

EDIT: Just to be clear here, I'm positing the term basshead is a derogatory term amongst audiophiles.  It seems you're implying that it's subjectively neutral meaning that it's just an attribute.  But thinking in the other direction a bit further, I've heard people describe themselves as trebleheads, but I don't recall hearing listening devices described that way... no, they tend to be neutral, accurate, reference.  

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back