JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Oct 21, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #1,636 of 2,211
After more burn in the treble did smooth out a bit and don't sound so edgy and piercing like before and sibilance did reduce by a noticeable amount. now I can say this is a very impressive iem for 80 very glad I bought it

ADD* what type of foam tips with a dust filter can fit on this iem?

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #1,637 of 2,211
Quote:
After more burn in the treble did smooth out a bit and don't sound so edgy and piercing like before and sibilance did reduce by a noticeable amount. now I can say this is a very impressive iem for 80 very glad I bought it
ADD* what type of foam tips with a dust filter can fit on this iem?

Have you tried lowering a notch or two eq around the mid frequencies ? for me at least it hits the right spot

I am using comply´s T500 inverted and they fit perfectly so my guess is the Tx500 will also. But if you do you will be left with two filter layers both the FXT one and the Tx so I wonder if that´s a good idea ?

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #1,639 of 2,211
Bit the bullet on a pair of JVC HA-FXT90s to replace my dead but not forgotten Panasonic RP-HJE900s. Before those, I had some Etymotics that died far too quickly and were rather quite forgettable (ER6s I believe).

Disclaimers: I am probably still giddy over the new toy (I have been IEM-less for far too long) and these have not been burnt in at all. I listen almost exclusively to electronic music, focusing on House although I'm really open to anything. Songs are either streamed via YouTube, SoundCloud, or 320kbps mp3s from my small personal collection directly from either my desktop PC, Ultrabook or smartphone.

Long story short: I'm no professional audiophile, and this isn't an intensely analytical review. I'm looking for something I can enjoy casually without having to break the bank or encumber myself with a ridiculous setup. Nevertheless, here are some initial impressions if anyone was interested. So far: a mixed bag, but promising.

To begin, these are not basshead IEMs - the HJE900s definitely win in that arms race. Nonetheless, the bass is very satisfying. What the FXT90s lack in sheer quantity, it makes up for with an impressive attack free of any bloat, coupled with a low-end rumble that frankly, given the rest of the bass, absolutely blindsided me. A supremely confident purr that provides excellent backdrop to the lively impact of the mid and upper bass. That being said, when that growl isn't there, that higher end suddenly feels very anemic, naked even. Unfortunately, the rest of the frequency does not exactly mask this sore spot.

For most people, I would imagine the mids would be considered slightly "warm". For me, who has primarily listened to nothing but "warm" headphones, I feel the mids are actually quite recessed. While the FXT90s don't hide the mids in a dark closet, no song I've listened to can bring them to the front over the hard-punching bass or the sparkly treble.  In comparison, the HJE900s definitely carried its bucketloads of bass through to the mids, wrapping the entire range in silky warmness that let songs ease on through much easier. As much as I want to throw the "analytical" word down, there is still an evident touch of warmth in the lower-mids and a tinge of airiness as the mids approach highs.

Once it does get into the highs though, that tinge turns into a downright crackle. Like a shot of crisp winter air down your nostrils, the upper end is refreshing but also chilling. People have also said the HJE900s are bright, but I only felt that way about the very tip of the treble response, whereas I feel brightness is much more endemic in the FXT90s currently. The other thing to note is that there is a definite hint of sibilence, which if it doesn't go away via burn-in, might be grating, but only on extended listening sessions. Overall, there's a clear emphasis on the treble that allows the high notes to really dance on top of everything else.

Moving on, I've never been much of a soundstage fanatic, but I can definitely hear the difference with these headphones. But it's very hit or miss - certain songs can really isolate and bring out individual aspects, whereas other songs the lines are very much still blurred. This brings me to a point I've been meaning to bring up - I don't think these are very forgiving earphones. I've mentioned that I stream a lot (most) of my music - the HJE900s would sometimes turn songs ugly, and I suspect that much of the same is going on here. Poor sound quality may be causing a lot of details to be lost in translation. After more burn-in, I really want to see what impact bitrates and sources have on this.

At $89, these are a pretty amazing deal. That being said, I have to see how that bass and mid resolve during burn-in - as it stand now, they are potential dealbreakers and I would really have to convince myself not to return these for something more refined.

Thoughts?

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #1,640 of 2,211
Nice review. What phone are you using? You should make sure to be using a low output impedance source or it may color the sound signature. The FXT90 has a very low impedance.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #1,641 of 2,211
Quote:
Bit the bullet on a pair of JVC HA-FXT90s to replace my dead but not forgotten Panasonic RP-HJE900s. Before those, I had some Etymotics that died far too quickly and were rather quite forgettable (ER6s I believe).

Disclaimers: I am probably still giddy over the new toy (I have been IEM-less for far too long) and these have not been burnt in at all. I listen almost exclusively to electronic music, focusing on House although I'm really open to anything. Songs are either streamed via YouTube, SoundCloud, or 320kbps mp3s from my small personal collection directly from either my desktop PC, Ultrabook or smartphone.

Long story short: I'm no professional audiophile, and this isn't an intensely analytical review. I'm looking for something I can enjoy casually without having to break the bank or encumber myself with a ridiculous setup. Nevertheless, here are some initial impressions if anyone was interested. So far: a mixed bag, but promising.

To begin, these are not basshead IEMs - the HJE900s definitely win in that arms race. Nonetheless, the bass is very satisfying. What the FXT90s lack in sheer quantity, it makes up for with an impressive attack free of any bloat, coupled with a low-end rumble that frankly, given the rest of the bass, absolutely blindsided me. A supremely confident purr that provides excellent backdrop to the lively impact of the mid and upper bass. That being said, when that growl isn't there, that higher end suddenly feels very anemic, naked even. Unfortunately, the rest of the frequency does not exactly mask this sore spot.

For most people, I would imagine the mids would be considered slightly "warm". For me, who has primarily listened to nothing but "warm" headphones, I feel the mids are actually quite recessed. While the FXT90s don't hide the mids in a dark closet, no song I've listened to can bring them to the front over the hard-punching bass or the sparkly treble.  In comparison, the HJE900s definitely carried its bucketloads of bass through to the mids, wrapping the entire range in silky warmness that let songs ease on through much easier. As much as I want to throw the "analytical" word down, there is still an evident touch of warmth in the lower-mids and a tinge of airiness as the mids approach highs.

Once it does get into the highs though, that tinge turns into a downright crackle. Like a shot of crisp winter air down your nostrils, the upper end is refreshing but also chilling. People have also said the HJE900s are bright, but I only felt that way about the very tip of the treble response, whereas I feel brightness is much more endemic in the FXT90s currently. The other thing to note is that there is a definite hint of sibilence, which if it doesn't go away via burn-in, might be grating, but only on extended listening sessions. Overall, there's a clear emphasis on the treble that allows the high notes to really dance on top of everything else.

Moving on, I've never been much of a soundstage fanatic, but I can definitely hear the difference with these headphones. But it's very hit or miss - certain songs can really isolate and bring out individual aspects, whereas other songs the lines are very much still blurred. This brings me to a point I've been meaning to bring up - I don't think these are very forgiving earphones. I've mentioned that I stream a lot (most) of my music - the HJE900s would sometimes turn songs ugly, and I suspect that much of the same is going on here. Poor sound quality may be causing a lot of details to be lost in translation. After more burn-in, I really want to see what impact bitrates and sources have on this.

At $89, these are a pretty amazing deal. That being said, I have to see how that bass and mid resolve during burn-in - as it stand now, they are potential dealbreakers and I would really have to convince myself not to return these for something more refined.

Thoughts?

agree

I even extended the controlled burn in described a couple of pages back
over 150 hours of controlled burn in will set them in great
for my own preference just equalized down a couple of notches on the 2-3khz range and way up 4 notches on the 16-20khz range (always do that for added cymbal brilliance lol), sound is overall great with comply t500 (inverted). Although the sony A-866 equalizer does not have many options I find it superior than most because it works within the s-master mx at amp stage and not afterwards meaning equalization does not change the basic sound characteristics

FXT90 most of the times are being amped so I have virtually no hiss (only a bit at max vol which is certainly normal on any sound appliance) but of course 12 ohm means probability of mismatch with source is higher, as an example on my ATH-M50 unamped there also no hiss (38 ohm)

Additionally they are quite comfy on my ears

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #1,642 of 2,211
Ok so I received the Comply TS-400 tips a few days ago.
Before I had never used foam tips so I'll write my impressions about the tips and about the sound change. (Im not an audiophile in any way, this is my second 'serious' IEM, first being the GR02 bass edition)

Right out of the box I had some problems putting the tips on the iem. I dont even take the tips off now cause im afraid ill break them the next time i try to put them on haha.
When I fired up my sansa clip+ the first thing I noticed was the darkness. Coming from a rather bright FXT90 sound with the stock tips it felt like a completely different phone and not in a good way.
I noticed deeper and punchier bass and very very dark treble. The only good thing was that sibilance was almost completely gone. Even with very sibilance heavy songs I had no problems with it.
So yea, during the first few hours of listening I had mixed opinions about the newly born FXT90s. I loved that the harshness and sibilance was barely there but I missed the clarity and the brightness.

After a few days though, it was like my brain got re-burned it to the sound. Now the darkness is gone but the somewhat smooth treble and deeper bass are still there and I am LOVING it. The only thing I disliked about the stock FXT90 when switching from the vsonic gr02 was the bright and often harsh signature. The tips fixed that.
As a bonus, the bone conduction that caused the thumping sound when walking was also gone completely (I HATED that) and the isolation+comfort are far more superior when compared to the stock tips.

To sum up, if you find the stock tips too harsh and bright, DEFINITELY check the comply tips out. Though I wouldn't risk using the T400 model as I've read that they make the sound even darker. The TS model in my opinion is just perfect.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #1,643 of 2,211
Nice review. What phone are you using? You should make sure to be using a low output impedance source or it may color the sound signature. The FXT90 has a very low impedance.

My smartphone is an HTC One X, the North American version with LTE and the dual-core Snapdragon S4. How would I determine what the impedance of my source is?

agree

I even extended the controlled burn in described a couple of pages back
over 150 hours of controlled burn in will set them in great
for my own preference just equalized down a couple of notches on the 2-3khz range and way up 4 notches on the 16-20khz range (always do that for added cymbal brilliance lol), sound is overall great with comply t500 (inverted). Although the sony A-866 equalizer does not have many options I find it superior than most because it works within the s-master mx at amp stage and not afterwards meaning equalization does not change the basic sound characteristics

FXT90 most of the times are being amped so I have virtually no hiss (only a bit at max vol which is certainly normal on any sound appliance) but of course 12 ohm means probability of mismatch with source is higher, as an example on my ATH-M50 unamped there also no hiss (38 ohm)

Additionally they are quite comfy on my ears

I'm starting to notice a bit of driver flex on the left side as well as it generally not feeling as comfortable - the right is perfect. I think I should look at options for tips.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #1,644 of 2,211
Hauton, I would be careful pairing the FXT90 to the HTC one x. HTC doesn't usually use a decent dac or amp section in their phones. I know this from experience and some reading on phone dacs. I would recommend a sansa clip or fuze for the cheapest but best sound quality though the FXT90.

For tips I would recommend reverse comply. It will fix the driver flex issue with affecting the frequency response.

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #1,645 of 2,211
Quote:
Hauton, I would be careful pairing the FXT90 to the HTC one x. HTC doesn't usually use a decent dac or amp section in their phones. I know this from experience and some reading on phone dacs. I would recommend a sansa clip or fuze for the cheapest but best sound quality though the FXT90.
For tips I would recommend reverse comply. It will fix the driver flex issue with affecting the frequency response.

+1 with the clip zip. It really sounds thin on the iphone 4 in comparison and the comply T400 did helps a lot for me.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #1,646 of 2,211
Quote:
+1 with the clip zip. It really sounds thin on the iphone 4 in comparison and the comply T400 did helps a lot for me.

correct

I use the t500 myself and they fit rather well

inverted is best, whatever driver flex is present when inserting its irrelevant both to the fit and to the sound

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,647 of 2,211
The clip and the FXT90 together sound quite bright.
I tried several tips to tame the highs. As a side effect the mids become more recessed and they sound a lot less impressive with foam tips or shure olives.

Great value.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #1,648 of 2,211
you can tune all that with the great rockbox equalizer

I mean you do have your clip rockboxed, correct ?

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #1,649 of 2,211
The clip and the FXT90 together sound quite bright.
I tried several tips to tame the highs. As a side effect the mids become more recessed and they sound a lot less impressive with foam tips or shure olives.

Great value.

You might want to try and up the volume a little and see it it helps to bring out more bass/mids and tame the highs. In my personal experience ( YMMV), the FXT90 with a little more volume does the trick for me. At least that's the way I hear it and feels that they need that extra juice to have better control on the highs while the added bass volume helps to warm up the sound a little. I'm no expert but that's just my own personal perception. So take it with a grain of salt. Cheers.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,650 of 2,211
I am now using the FXT90 with the iPod Touch 4Gen and the difference over my 6th Gen iPod classic is night and day.  It makes me almost mad that I've been missing out on the clarity and tighter, warmer bass.

By the way I have used these for about a year now and they are still incredible.  So dynamic, textured, punchy.  My favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back