JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
May 19, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #1,516 of 2,211
@dweaver, your description for the newer one sounds like what I've been listening to all this time. Oh and quite surprised that you found the mids on the jvc slightly more forward than the 7550. btw I just ordered one myself, the Sony, so once I get mine maybe we could compare impressions of it lol.

May 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #1,517 of 2,211
sorry either I got my words backwards or I am being misunderstood. I meant the FXT90 are a bit forward in the mids as compared to the 7550 which are more forward again. I think the 7550 mayhave slightly more treble extension as well but I want to wait a few days before I comment to much on specific as the FXT90 need time to settle down.

May 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #1,518 of 2,211
Glad I was able to shed more light on why I felt my original FXT90 were defective as well.

May 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,519 of 2,211
Quote:
sorry either I got my words backwards or I am being misunderstood. I meant the FXT90 are a bit forward in the mids as compared to the 7550 which are more forward again. I think the 7550 mayhave slightly more treble extension as well but I want to wait a few days before I comment to much on specific as the FXT90 need time to settle down.

Thanks for this. This would be helpful when I get my hands on my 7550. Hopefully I'll remember you said this in this thread and not your impressions on it. I want as clean of expectations as I can.

May 20, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #1,522 of 2,211
Canadians are so popular today, eh? I need a canuck too! 

Hi all,

Im got two of these for about can$113 (can$ 99.- plus hst).

I would be willing to sell one (unopened). Feel free to contact me if interested.

May 21, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #1,523 of 2,211
I got 2 pairs from FutureShop yesterday for $100. After ~24hrs of burn in, here's my impression:

I usually use either my ES3X customs or CK100, so I will base my impression off of those headphones. 

Fit: Comfortable for me using medium tips. Deep insertion into the ear reduces the soundstage, and increases the bass quantity. Shallow insertion produces a more spacious sound, but there is slight increase in sibilance and more treble sparkle. 
Treble: It's not as sibilant as I've read, and the treble extends well and is indeed very crisp.
Mids: I'd prefer a lil more forward mids, but it's generally nicely balanced with the treble. Vocals are rich and smooth which is great for jazz.
Bass: My biggest complaint, I find the bass quantity to be too much, making these phones bottom heavy and often overshadows the mids and treble. However, the texture of the bass is great and can really go very deep.
Soundstage: Quite narrow compared to ES3X and Ck100, but I know it's not fair comparison. Soundstage has good depth and instrument separation is great. 

I think the FXT90 can almost rival the IE8; they are very dynamic and fun to listen to, especially for rock. The biggest strength of this phone is the timbre and natural sound of instruments, making music very believable (something CK100 isn't good at). At this price they're definitely a bargain!

I'll keep burning them for a couple of days and hope the amount of bass will decrease...

May 21, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #1,524 of 2,211
Quote:
I got 2 pairs from FutureShop yesterday for $100. After ~24hrs of burn in, here's my impression:

I usually use either my ES3X customs or CK100, so I will base my impression off of those headphones. 

Fit: Comfortable for me using medium tips. Deep insertion into the ear sounds reduces the soundstage, and increases the bass quantity. Shallow insertion produces a more spacious sound, but there is slight increase in sibilance and more treble sparkle. 
Treble: It's not as sibilant as I've read, and the treble extends well and is indeed very crisp.
Mids: I'd prefer a lil more forward mids, but it's generally nicely balanced with the treble. Vocals are rich and smooth which is great for jazz.
Bass: My biggest complaint, I find the bass quantity to be too much, making these phones bottom heavy and often overshadows the mids and treble. However, the texture of the bass is great and can really go very deep.
Soundstage: Quite narrow compared to ES3X and Ck100, but I know it's not fair comparison. Soundstage has good depth and instrument separation is great. 

I think the FXT90 can almost rival the IE8; they are very dynamic and fun to listen to, especially for rock. The biggest strength of this phone is the timbre and natural sound of instruments, making music very believable (something CK100 isn't good at). At this price they're definitely a bargain!

I'll keep burning them for a couple of days and hope the amount of bass will decrease...

A comparison to the ckm500 would be useful if you could. 

May 21, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #1,526 of 2,211
Just had a 2 hours of session with the FXT90 and I find the sound inferior to MTP Copper (need another 20hours to burn in?)

source: 320kbs mp3 

mechanic:SONY NWZ-1050

May 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #1,529 of 2,211
hey are these very treble heavy?
I'm looking for something relatively balanced, preferably with impactful bass and a little extra sub bass rumble. Oh and I need spacious mids and smooth highs. I was looking at this, the RE262, and the CKS77

I come from CK100 and I don't find these treble heavy, in fact they're quite bass oriented. 
FXT90 is relatively balanced, though at times the bass does dominate over mids and treble (especially for Diana Krall and some other Jazz tracks) 

May 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #1,530 of 2,211
Quote:

I come from CK100 and I don't find these treble heavy, in fact they're quite bass oriented. 
FXT90 is relatively balanced, though at times the bass does dominate over mids and treble (especially for Diana Krall and some other Jazz tracks) 

I feel like the midrange is the most prominent. I actually feel the bass is pretty balanced, as I've never heard them meld into the mids/treble. Comes down to subjective experience, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back