JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Feb 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #1,141 of 2,211
Did anyone managed to find out if the two versions have differences in microphonics presence? Amazon japan sells them for the same price and i wouldnt mind picking the vanilla color.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #1,143 of 2,211
Well, after spending ages contemplating the choice, I'm about to leave for the store to pick up a set of these. I was convinced the Atrio MG7s were for me, till I A/B-ed them with the FTX90 and just fell in love with the FTXs. That said, I'm liable to come back with something completely different. Maybe even a hamster or gerbil. Who knows at this point.

Anyway, I'll post my impressions - I'll try to pick up a set of tips/various sets as well. I hear Comply TS 400 and the stock tips are popular...

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #1,144 of 2,211
Feb 11, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #1,145 of 2,211

Quote:
Some of my favorite things to listen to on these guys:

Ottilie - Histories d'O ...dreamy French acoustic small jazzy ensemble.
Primus live at the Greek Theatre - Hallucinogenetics Tour ...quite self explanatory (I was at this concert!!)
Jason Mraz - Waiting for my Rocket to Come ...pop-rock-hiphop-jazz-funk in that order
Nobuo Uematsu - Distant Worlds I & II ...absolutely one of my favorite contemporary composers.
Howard Shore - Lord of the Rings score ...this collection is just a treasure.

Ok, I'll cut the list short before I get carried away.

Very Nicely written. I saw Primus years ago. They played for like 3 and half hour no breaks at the orpheum in Boston What a show

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #1,146 of 2,211
Sooo I took the plunge. I went and bought a set of FTX-90s and would like to thank the great team at Jaben (they have an account on Head-Fi too!) for being so helpful!

I'll take my time to burn them in and give them a proper listen, but first impression is that I'm absolutely blown away. I went to the store a few days ago set on buying a pair of ATRIO MG7s and they suggested I try these...I can't even begin to describe how much more pleasant and enjoyable the sound is on these when I A/B-ed them with the Atrios. That said, if you want a rumbling bass in your mid-brain, the Atrios definitely take care of that :)

I also picked up a nifty little amp. I've never owned one before, nor have I considered getting one, but they threw it in as part of a package. It's the GoVibe Mini Box Amplifier. I notice that the bass has a lot more body and depth. Below is a pic from EpicPie, a user who posted the thread linked above.

So, I'll be happy to review, also given that I'm just learning about IEMs, so perhaps I can offer some non-jargon, newbie opinion :)

i spent 3 hours walking around aimlessly just so that I could give th FTX90s a decent workout and loved every single second. Absolutely amazing IEMs.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #1,147 of 2,211
Hey Ruckdive, how much did you pay for yours via Jaben? I looked it up on their site but could only find a bundle price for the fxt90 (together with some goldring headphones and an amp). Thanks in advance!

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,149 of 2,211
Bonjour!

So I decided, after way too much researching, to buy a set of these, mostly due to the reviews on this thread. Not having a lot of experience, I picked these based on what I thought I would enjoy, using my experience with my SR80s as reference. So 3 weeks after ordering them, I got them....and I think I may have been sent a slightly defective pair. I say slightly because they've opened up a bit since I got them. When I got them, and up until this week (I've had them about 3 weeks and put maybe 30-40 hours on them), they were really muffled. They've opened up now, but there's still the faintest of crackles/buzzing in the left ear (I checked by switching sides), the severity of which changes depending on how I have them in my ears. The good news is buyfromjapan on eby, who I bought them from (getting it from them plus a 3-year warranty plus shipping only ended up at $150) said they would give me a refund. 

So the reason I'm posting is, first off, to see if anyone has had similar experiences. The buzzing is really slight and only happens in certain frequency range. Most people I ask to see if they can hear it can't. I obsess over details I guess. However, the main reason is that even after burn in, I discovered the sound signature to not be my cup of tea. Now it could be that they're actually quite different sounding from a non-defective pair, but they quality alone is good enough to make me think that this is pretty close to what they should sound like, sans occasional buzzing.

I figured that this would be the place to ask for recommendations for a replacement. What I don't like about the sound signature is the emphasis on the highs ,which as has been noted tends to exaggerate sibilance at high, and the thump in the bass. I prefer to hear the bass clearly rather than feel it. I do like sparkly highs, but not at the expense of mids. The headphone that I've tried at stores that I like most (and I've tried senns, grados, denons, and beyerdynamics) is the Beyerdynamic DT990. I like the 880 too, but love the way the 990 manages to add a brightness to the sound without it being harsh. Next to the DT990, the Grado SR225, which I thought I would love, sounded too harsh. 

I just find the FXT90s to be a bit muffled sounding for my taste. I'd like to have something with less thump and a more balanced midrange and bass (a little extra bass ok, just no thump) while still having a bit of sparkle. From the reviews I've read, that leaves me between the RE262s, the GR07s, and the DBA-02s. The RE262s headspace and liquid mids really intrigue me, but I'm worried it might lack the sparkle. The GR07s look great in every sense except for lack of sparkle, smaller soundstage, and the potential of them possibly being too balanced. The clarity of the DBA-02s and overall raving a lot of people do about them sounds great, but the build quality seems to be lacking and they might just be a little too bright.  I have a very analytical mind, so chances are I would probably like something balanced and analytical with perhaps a bit of sparkle and good extension. Also a decently large soundstage. I don't like feeling like the sound is inside my head. 

I realize the ultimately the best thing to do is to try out IEMs until I find one I like. It's just hard to find a place to try out IEMs, or find anyone in Toronto with a GR07 or amped RE262 to try out.

In any case, I thank anyone in advance who takes the time to read this wall of text and gives me their honest opinion. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #1,151 of 2,211
Hi Jambon,

The crackling sound that you are hearing is known as driver flex and the FXT90 seem to be notorious for having it. Driver flex won't effect the sound quality so you can be sure that the FXT90 is not for you. Unfortunately that's about all the help I can offer as I have no experience with any of the other IEMs that you mentioned, I'm sure someone else will help you with that! Good luck with the journey :)

Quote:
Bonjour!

So I decided, after way too much researching, to buy a set of these, mostly due to the reviews on this thread. Not having a lot of experience, I picked these based on what I thought I would enjoy, using my experience with my SR80s as reference. So 3 weeks after ordering them, I got them....and I think I may have been sent a slightly defective pair. I say slightly because they've opened up a bit since I got them. When I got them, and up until this week (I've had them about 3 weeks and put maybe 30-40 hours on them), they were really muffled. They've opened up now, but there's still the faintest of crackles/buzzing in the left ear (I checked by switching sides), the severity of which changes depending on how I have them in my ears. The good news is buyfromjapan on eby, who I bought them from (getting it from them plus a 3-year warranty plus shipping only ended up at $150) said they would give me a refund. 

So the reason I'm posting is, first off, to see if anyone has had similar experiences. The buzzing is really slight and only happens in certain frequency range. Most people I ask to see if they can hear it can't. I obsess over details I guess. However, the main reason is that even after burn in, I discovered the sound signature to not be my cup of tea. Now it could be that they're actually quite different sounding from a non-defective pair, but they quality alone is good enough to make me think that this is pretty close to what they should sound like, sans occasional buzzing.

I figured that this would be the place to ask for recommendations for a replacement. What I don't like about the sound signature is the emphasis on the highs ,which as has been noted tends to exaggerate sibilance at high, and the thump in the bass. I prefer to hear the bass clearly rather than feel it. I do like sparkly highs, but not at the expense of mids. The headphone that I've tried at stores that I like most (and I've tried senns, grados, denons, and beyerdynamics) is the Beyerdynamic DT990. I like the 880 too, but love the way the 990 manages to add a brightness to the sound without it being harsh. Next to the DT990, the Grado SR225, which I thought I would love, sounded too harsh. 

I just find the FXT90s to be a bit muffled sounding for my taste. I'd like to have something with less thump and a more balanced midrange and bass (a little extra bass ok, just no thump) while still having a bit of sparkle. From the reviews I've read, that leaves me between the RE262s, the GR07s, and the DBA-02s. The RE262s headspace and liquid mids really intrigue me, but I'm worried it might lack the sparkle. The GR07s look great in every sense except for lack of sparkle, smaller soundstage, and the potential of them possibly being too balanced. The clarity of the DBA-02s and overall raving a lot of people do about them sounds great, but the build quality seems to be lacking and they might just be a little too bright.  I have a very analytical mind, so chances are I would probably like something balanced and analytical with perhaps a bit of sparkle and good extension. Also a decently large soundstage. I don't like feeling like the sound is inside my head. 

I realize the ultimately the best thing to do is to try out IEMs until I find one I like. It's just hard to find a place to try out IEMs, or find anyone in Toronto with a GR07 or amped RE262 to try out.

In any case, I thank anyone in advance who takes the time to read this wall of text and gives me their honest opinion. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #1,152 of 2,211
Just ordered myself a pair of these, I'm hoping to replace the eartips with the recommended MEElectronics ones as I am used to the Shure SE215 foam tips. Do the 'Short Biflanges' fit perfectly or is there some sort of customisation needed?

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #1,155 of 2,211

Quote:
What is your source?

Old Classic iPod and a Lenovo W520 laptop.

Also, I listened to a friends HD 598s, and I really liked them. I found the highs a touch harsh at times in certain songs, and felt they had enough bass for my tastes (a little more would be ok, just no thump) but otherwise loved the clarity and soundstage. So I guess soundstage/headspace is very important, in case that helps anyone with a recommendation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back