JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Jan 8, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #976 of 2,211

Quote:
hi i just got my fxt90 yesterday from accessoryjack, really fast delivery. They came in 4 days!!
First impressions are really really good! I'm very impressed. I do love the more analytic sound of my phonaks, but these fxt90s are different and simply awesome and hopefully they'll just get even better during burn in. Was looking for a more dynamic and fun sound signature and that's what I got and I dont feel that the fxt90s are missing any detail.

I got only one problem. The medium tips are just slightly too big for me and the small ones are way too small. I tried the meel 11 tips and none of them fit.

Does anyone know if there are tips just slightly smaller than the medium tips ? I'd like to stay away from the complyfoam

i know the jay tips are 11mm the small ones and the medium 12mm. that could help.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #977 of 2,211

Quote:
I agree with you. Comfort and isolation aside, I can't stand using Comply's.

Same here, and not only with FXT90, but with any earphones I tried, foam tips reduce the highs and  dampen the sound on the whole spectrum.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #978 of 2,211
Has anybody else tried the Klipsch tips on these? I was using the Jays tips but I found that the Klipsch tips are pretty similar and have the added benefit of fixing the sibilance I heard with the Jays. In addition, the Jays tips gave me a little issue with driver flex upon insertion on the right side and the Klipsch tips seem to reduce that problem in my case.

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #979 of 2,211

Quote:
I'm trying to decide between ex600 v fxt90 as a possible buy. I've read the soundstage of ex600's is huge (can someone compare this to ie8's) but is it so small for fxt90's ?

Also how suitable are fxt90's for jogging with ? Will they stay in ?

No, the FXT90s soundstage is by no means small. In terms of width it is only average, but it's depth is immense.

I use mine for cycling, and I never had any issues with them not staying in. If you do have problems jogging with them, I'd suggest the Comply Ts-400s.

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #980 of 2,211

I would LOVE to try both out! Not gonna happen though, hahah. I mean, I could get both and sell the GR07 here or maybe return it..? but I'm still gonna be eating some cost. I say sell the GR07 cuz I'm not quite as confident about returns/refunds with AccessoryJack. In any case, the reason this is such a tough choice for me is cuz the sounds are so far apart. Just having a tough time settling on what I'd like to go with. It's my first really nice IEM so I wanna get something I'll love. They're both great options though, no doubt!

Quote:

Get both?
evil_smiley.gif

Their signatures are worlds apart, so they compliment each other well.

I find the GR07’s detailed albeit non-fatiguing nature to be perfect for passive and low volume listening (though they’re equally enjoyable at moderate-loud volumes). They're my favourite IEMs for use whilst in bed, or whilst doing things during the day, as I can flip between active and passive listening with relative ease. Something I frequently get whilst using the GR07s is a background awareness of a song, which gradually grows and builds in my subconscious, so that when the song reaches a crescendo (or lets rip a phatta-than-yo-mumma bass line), I experience a sudden explosion in awareness and associated foot tapping.

In stark contrast, the FXT90s are blatant and in my face from the start. Though not aggressive, they’re certainly assertive, and never permit me anything less than active listening, feet tapping, head nodding, emotion charged head shaking, seizure'esque dancing… you get the picture.

In summary, I couldn't let either go as they both play equally improtant roles in my life. Forgive me for my self indulgence however, as I'm aware that you may have a tight budget. Perhaps you could try both out?

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #981 of 2,211

Quote:
Has anybody else tried the Klipsch tips on these? I was using the Jays tips but I found that the Klipsch tips are pretty similar and have the added benefit of fixing the sibilance I heard with the Jays. In addition, the Jays tips gave me a little issue with driver flex upon insertion on the right side and the Klipsch tips seem to reduce that problem in my case.

Which Klipsch tips are you referring to? The tips from my C3's and X10's don't come close to fitting on.

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #982 of 2,211
I remember someone was using these ? Are they smaller than the stock medium tips ? And do they sound as good as the stock tips?
http://www.amazon.com/pair-Size-Medium-CLEAR-replacement/dp/B002W8RCA4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326107231&sr=1-1

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #988 of 2,211
Oh ok.
Thanks anyway!

I am hoping that FXT90 will offer me something different from IE8.

Oh btw, anyone bought the limited edition fxt90L2, the one with the gold finish?
How did it look in real life?

Worth the extra dough? (eBay USD150 by yusukeya)

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #989 of 2,211

Quote:
Just bought a new fxt90. I will listen it tomorrow i hope. i'll write first impressions. i'm gonna use it with fuze + e11 btw..

I'll be interested in your impressions with the E11, as mine has been sent away for repairs.

Talking of amps, has anybody here tried their FXT90s with the JDS Labs Cmoy v2.03? If so, i'd really like to hear your impressions, as I'm experiencing terrible distortion with mine. It's so bad that it renders them unlistenable, even at low-moderate volume, with bass boost turned OFF. The FXT90s perform perfectly on bass heavy tracks at max volume straight out of my Clip+. They perform similarly well with low frequency test tones, even when played at high volume, so I don't think this is a driver issue.

The amp performs well with all of my other IEMs, so a natural assumption would therefore be a miss-match of impedance... but the Cmoy v2.03 has very low impedance, as far as I'm aware. Can anybody shed any light on this? 

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #990 of 2,211
The JVC FXT90s got a great review from joker.  

Quote:
[size=small]Tier 2B ($100-150)[/size]

(2B13) JVC HA-FXT90

Reviewed Jan 2012

Details: JVC’s high-tech take on the dual dynamic earphone
Current Price: $135 from accessoryjack.com (MSRP: $149.99)
Specs: Driver: Dual Dynamic | Imp: 12Ω | Sens: 107 dB | Freq: 8-25k Hz | Cable: 4' L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: stock single-flanges, short bi-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) - Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), shirt clip, cable winder, and clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (4.5/5) – The plastic housings of the FXT90 may be rather ordinary-looking compared to the metal FX300 and wooden FX500/FX700 shells but it feels very well put together, in typical JVC fashion. The strain reliefs are long and the L-plug is beefy. The cord itself is reasonably thick, soft, flexible, and – best of all – not modular as it is with JVC’s FX500/FX700 models
Isolation (3.5/5) – Quite good with the ergonomic but shallow-fitting shells
Microphonics (4.5/5) – Very low when worn cable-down; nonexistent with over-the-ear wear
Comfort (4/5) – Despite the vertical arrangement of the dual dynamic drivers, the FXT90 is no less comfortable than most conventional straight-barrel IEMs. The ergonomic nozzle angle helps, as do the smooth surface and rounded edges of the housings. Over-the-ear wear is possible but may require longer eartips than those provided

Sound (8.9/10) – The FXT90 is JVC’s first attempt at a dual-dynamic earphone. Utilizing no crossover, the FXT90 relies on the differences between the materials of the two drivers to create a natural variance in their response. Like Fischer Audio’s similarly-priced Tandem, the FXT90 positions the drivers vertically in the ear. Unlike the Tandem, it offers up impressive presence across the frequency range without straying too far from the sound of JVC’s higher-end wooden in-ears.

The low end of the FXT90s is strong but not overly dominant, with a mild mid-bass hump and excellent note thickness – similar in quantity to the Sennheiser IE7, but quicker and more controlled. Impact is good and the bass sounds full and fleshed-out. Compared to JVC’s FX500, the bass of the FXT90 is less prone to overshadowing the midrange, partly because the note presentation is thicker in the midrange and partly because the FXT90 exercises better control over its bottom end. The bass may not be as fast and tight as that of the VSonic’s GR07, but it is more forward and has both greater body and more impact. The GR07 boasts shorter decay times and tends to be quick and punchy, but not as powerful in comparison. Fischer’s dual-dynamic Tandem, too, is flatter through the bass and midrange but yields to the FXT90 in both bass impact and depth.

The midrange of the FXT90 is strong and prominent – not as forward as the mids of the Sennheiser IE7 or Fischer SBA-03, but not in the least laid-back. The good note thickness of the low end is retained, as is a bit of warmth. Despite the presentation being airy and nicely layered, the mids tend towards intimacy. They are smooth and full, with excellent timbre and good transparency. Clarity is good – better than with the Sennheiser IE7 and Fischer Audio Tandem but not quite as impressive as with the more neutral-sounding GR07 or the armature-based ACS T15. Detail levels are nearly on-par with the GR07.

At the top end, the FXT90 is again prominent, yet very competent. The mild emphasis tends to point out and even exaggerate sibilance present on a track but the edginess of the FX500 is all but absent. The energy is still there, however, as it is with all of the higher-end JVC in-ears I’ve heard. Compared to the similarly-priced FA Tandem, the FXT90 is significantly brighter and more sparkly but - luckily - has quality to make the treble work. Treble detail is excellent and the resolution and transparency give the GR07 a run for its money. In comparison, the similarly-priced PureSound ClartyOne lacks separation and sounds both thinner and peakier while the Sennheiser IE7 sounds plasticky and lacks smoothness. Absolute extension at the top is decent but trails both the ClarityOne and the IE7 slightly.

Presentation is yet another strength of the FXT90 – the earphones are airy, well-separated, and nicely layered. Soundstage width is about average but the depth is quite good. Compared to the GR07, the FTX90 sounds narrower and less spacious but has slightly better imaging. Its presentation is more intimate compared to the GR07 and Tandem and more well-rounded than those of the similarly-priced ClarityOne and Fischer SBA-03. Dynamics are good and the efficiency is very impressive. That’s not to say there’s no upgrading from the FXT90 – there is a noticeable gap in detail, refinement, and soundstaging when moving to a higher-end set like the HiFiMan RE272, but for the asking price the FXT90 is a very impressive all-around performer.

Value (9/10) – JVC’s FXT90 is not the first dual-dynamic earphone to hit the market, but it may just be the first one you’ll actually want to live with. From a usability standpoint it is clearly the best of the bunch, foregoing not only the awkward fit and questionable design of the dual-dynamic competition but also the modular cable and open-back housings of the other high-end JVC monitors. The sound of the FXT90 is balanced in an aggressive sort of way, with the intimate midrange giving up only a bit of emphasis to the prominent bass and sparkly treble. The sound is strengthened by good timbre and a nicely layered presentation – the same qualities that make the FX700 a cream-of-the-crop top-tier. Simply put, at $135, the FXT90 is one of the best deals in portable audio.

Pros: Lively, competent sound; solidly built; low microphonics
Cons: N/A

Huge thanks to Inks for the HA-FXT90 loan!

I agree with everything he says except for the microphonics part; I can hear everything that touches the cable when I wear it straight down...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back