JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Jun 2, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #1,576 of 2,211
Quote:
Make sure to let us know of your comparisons!!

here's my take on the two, copied over from the CKM500 thread.

After a week of listening and experimenting with different eartips to find the optimum sound, I think I can finally give my contribution to this thread now :)
I have to say, I think the CKM500s are actually kinda over-hyped, I don't really think they can compare to $150+ IEMs like some feel.

My normal go to headphones are ES3X customs and HD800, so they are for reference, but I will compare here primarily with the JVC FXT90.

Bass:
I'm quite surprised that they are pretty bassy, especially at the midbass area, so the lower region sound a bit bloated. I actually find the CKM500s too bassy for most of the songs I listen to, especially for Jazz. Also, because the bass is so prominent, it cuts into the vocals (mids) slightly, decreasing the separation between the bass and vocals. However, cello sounds absolutely marvelous with these, so rich and detailed and with such believable weight. FXT90 after some burn-in the bass actually decreased by a lot, even less than CKM500, it feels tighter and faster. I prefer FXT90 in the bass department.

Mids:
CKM500 produces wonderful vocals, sounds beautifully with Elvis, Tony Bennett, Diana Krall, etc. It has the perfect amount of thickness and roundness to the voices. FXT90 in comparison sounds thinner and less present, even though they're still not bad. CKM500 wins hands down.

Trebles:
CKM500 trebles are smoother than FXT90, but FXT90 has more treble energy and more exciting. I feel extension on both are roughly the same. It depends on the type of music I listen to, but coming from HD800s I kinda prefer FXT90's treble just a hair more. 

Soundstage:
Soundstage for me is generally determined by how 'congested' the headphones sound, so it's hard to really describe in words, but I'll try my best.
JVC wins here. CKM500 like I said before sound a bit bottom heavy, so it creates a more in your face sound to my ears, and ultimately more congested. The soundstage also feels rather lacking depth.  FXT90 is more laid back, my ears are less fatigued during longer listening sessions with these. It also has better timbre for guitar, especially electric. Then I put on the ES3X after not listening to them for half a month, trying to see how much of a big difference customs can make. HOLY COW, I almost forgot how 3 dimensional music can sound out of headphones! I can literally see Elvis on the stage and instruments coming from behind, left, and right of him with pinpoint accuracy. Both CKM500 and JXT90 sound like paper.... Sorry, I kind of got offtrack

Comfort/Ergonomics:
CKM500 have insane microphonics, it's almost unbearable to walk with them (mostly due to the lack of slider after the splitter). The isolation isn't that great either, so I'm hesitant to bring them outside. Comfort is fine, don't really feel them in my ears.

What CKM500 does best, I think are vocal and instrument reproduction. Instruments have a genuine weight and sound to them, and in this regard they even surpasses ES3X and HD800. However, they sound too congested I can't really listen to them for too long without getting tired. For me, having gotten the FXT90s at $99 for 2 pairs, it's a much better deal and I honestly do think they sound better overall for the music I listen to. 

CKM500s look damn beautiful though!

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #1,577 of 2,211
Quote:

I've tried a bucket of tips. They're going on the FS forum. It's hard to believe people compare them to the GR07.

I agree. Just popped these in my ears and Im not really liking what I hear. I dont understand the comparisons either. Well see with burn in. Wish I had more tips to try. What are the most recommended tips?

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,578 of 2,211
Aww, it's a tad depressing that this thread became a little dead on such down note (the appreciation thread, no less!). However, let's see if I can do anything! 

If Nulliverse had really convinced me of something, it's that these things have absolutely shine on extreme metal.  I've come to notice from more critical listening that these 90's capture the full range of distorted guitar beautifully, with that full midrange and excellent treble. On the climaxes of particularly guitar-driven songs where aggressive headphones would really matter, the FXT90's do just that. On the FX40 thread I dreaded that I couldn't really tell a difference between the two, but I recently put them to the test on particularly monolithic doom metal (Batillus) and death/black metal with rich guitar production (Thy Catafalque [my avatar], Ne Obliviscaris), and the FXT90's trumped the FX40's pretty handily in this regard, as the less-full mid-range sucked some of the life out of the notes and the high-end of the treble and the bass were a bit too prominent.

Does this mean that suddenly I toss the fx40's to the wind? Hell no, they are ******* great phones, too, with an unbelievable value, and it should still be blasphemy that I need to compare a $19 to a $100 one! But I wanted to bring this thread back because I've become enamored once again with these FXT90's since they seem to approach my music taste so well, regardless of price.

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #1,579 of 2,211
I too have been in love with it again. I don't listen to too much of electronic music, but when I do only the ones that don't have teeth rattling bass. So far from what I relisten using it, any electronic songs with abundant highs is so good. Of course, you should take this with a heaping spoonful of salt, as like I said, I don't listen to electronic much. But what I listen to, I am thoroughly satisfied. Still loved it for other genres, but I reestablished a newfound love for this pair of IEM. I don't have a GR07 to compare though; I think I should fix that soon-ish. Anybody want to sell me theirs? (joking. I don't have the budget for it).

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,580 of 2,211
The fxt90 is still my favorite iem out of everything I've heard. The ASG-1 came very close with eq but ultimately eq is someting I don't want to deal with.

I recently listened to the fxt90 from the ODAC + o2 amp and it was like listening to a new pair of iems. Initial impressions are more sub-bass and clearer details overall due to the extremely black background. More to come.

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,581 of 2,211
Quote:
The fxt90 is still my favorite iem out of everything I've heard. The ASG-1 came very close with eq but ultimately eq is someting I don't want to deal with.

I recently listened to the fxt90 from the ODAC + o2 amp and it was like listening to a new pair of iems. Initial impressions are more sub-bass and clearer details overall due to the extremely black background. More to come.

This interest me a lot. Can you also check how low can the o2 go without negative effect, e.g. distortion, channel imbalance, etc.?

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,584 of 2,211
I keep hearing about a mid-bass hump on the FXT90's, but to my ears I hear no such spike. The bass is probably the least quantity out of the spectrum. Can anyone posit a theory? Perhaps someone can point me to a song where it would be apparent? Or perhaps someone has had similar observations?

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #1,585 of 2,211

The FR graph of the FXT90 shows a clear bump in the mid-bass. But most people are talking about what they're hearing, in which cases the FXT90 might have a hump compared to the listener's measuring standard. The CK10? Mid-bass hump. The GR07? Mid-bass hump (small though and the GR07 emphasizes sub-bass more which makes the mid-bass less forward). The ie8? No mid-bass hump. It's not a negative, it's just not completely flat like some BA's. I, for one, appreciate a small boost in bass, which is exactly what the FXT90 offers. 

Also, source can play a bit of a role in how much bass you're hearing.

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #1,586 of 2,211
Ah, yes, that makes sense. I had a feeling that it might be my relative frame of reference, as my Dad has had a fetish with subwoofers... and my lack of experience with a neutral monitor contributes to that as well.

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #1,588 of 2,211
I mean the FXT90 may or may not have a hump when compared to the listener's measuring standard. If that standard is the CK10... FXT90 has a mid-bass hump. If it is ie8, FXT90 does not have a mid-bass hump. Sorry I wasn't too clear there.

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #1,589 of 2,211
Quote:
I keep hearing about a mid-bass hump on the FXT90's, but to my ears I hear no such spike. The bass is probably the least quantity out of the spectrum. Can anyone posit a theory? Perhaps someone can point me to a song where it would be apparent? Or perhaps someone has had similar observations?

Try Angel - Massive Attack.
or
How Can I Be Sure - Anomie Belle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back