JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017)
Feb 20, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #677 of 780
Is it anything under 250$ better than Woodies series in terms on "naturalness" of violin and piano timber ? Balanced armatures didn't sounds natural for me.
I don't listen to any violin and piano music, other than when it's processed in some weird way and turned into something in the electronic realm. So I can't really speak to that. I do listen to some Americana/folk type stuff though and I found the JVC HA-FD01 (with the mods to make them like the massdrop version) and the oBravo Cupid to be very lifelike, with good clarity, natural timbre and tight punchy bass. Both of them were less than $300. I loved the JVCs so much, it made me seek the FW01 out. I'd be curious to hear your impressions if you ever come across them

Feb 24, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #680 of 780
I have to put in my opinion when it comes to these earphones.

I've been a long time user of the JVC woodie series starting with the FX700, then the FX850 and lastly the FW01.

First thing's first the audio quality of all three has been amazing and I love the fun bassy sound signature.

One problem I've faced with all three of these purchases though is reliability and build quality. I always seem to have them break down after a period of time has passed and had to rely on JVC Europe support to solve the issue.

As you may or may not know since these are Japanese earphones it usually falls to JVC Japan to sort out any warranty issues but outside of Japan they are simply unwilling to help.

My worst experience so far has been with the FW01 which sounded beautiful but literally stopped working after 3 months. JVC would not help and the seller I bought from wouldn't help so that was £300 in the bin.

Since then I've switched to Sennheiser and never had any problems such as this.

TLDR: JVC Woodies sound great but for some reason they tend to break down after use for some reason. (In my case anyway)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #681 of 780
I have to put in my opinion when it comes to these earphones.

I've been a long time user of the JVC woodie series starting with the FX700, then the FX850 and lastly the FW01.

First thing's first the audio quality of all three has been amazing and I love the fun bassy sound signature.

One problem I've faced with all three of these purchases though is reliability and build quality. I always seem to have them break down after a period of time has passed and had to rely on JVC Europe support to solve the issue.

As you may or may not know since these are Japanese earphones it usually falls to JVC Japan to sort out any warranty issues but outside of Japan they are simply unwilling to help.

My worst experience so far has been with the FW01 which sounded beautiful but literally stopped working after 3 months. JVC would not help and the seller I bought from wouldn't help so that was £300 in the bin.

Since then I've switched to Sennheiser and never had any problems such as this.

TLDR: JVC Woodies sound great but for some reason they tend to break down after use for some reason.

I’ve owned a total of 5 JVC/Victor woodies over many years and have never had an issue. I will say that I’m very careful with my gear making sure I don’t play them too loudly.

I’m sorry you have had so many problems. Sometimes it’s just bad luck, so I wouldn’t overgeneralize and assert that the woodies are unreliable. I am happy you have found a Sennheiser that is giving you reliable service.

For those concerned about this topic, JVC USA is now importing the Japanese-made FW01 and FD01, so any problems will now be covered under the US warranty or repaired after the warranty expires.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #682 of 780
I’ve owned a total of 5 JVC/Victor woodies over many years and have never had an issue. I will say that I’m very careful with my gear making sure I don’t play them too loudly.

I’m sorry you have had so many problems. Sometimes it’s just bad luck, so I wouldn’t overgeneralize and assert that the woodies are unreliable. I am happy you have found a Sennheiser that is giving you reliable service.

For those concerned about this topic, JVC USA is now importing the Japanese-made FW01 and FD01, so any problems will now be covered under the US warranty or repaired after the warranty expires.

It might be bad luck and I don't mean it in a way where I'm generalising and saying they're all bad units.

I made sure to state the fact that they're solid units and the audio is great.

If JVC now provide warranty for these devices in the USA then that totally invalidates my point in the USA atleast.

I agree that looking after them is important and I'm the same with my electronics, when you spend this much on a hobby it makes sense to look after your gadgets!

Mar 6, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #684 of 780
I lost my well-loved FX-850 in the O’Hare airport last night. :sob: I jumped on Amazon and bought the FW-01 (US version) during my flight home.

Of course I should have done more research here before buying as I didn’t know that Drop sold them, so I paid $80 more.

But as I look closer, the Amazon listing is titled “JVC HA-FW01 Wood Series IEM Class-S Solidege with Remote, Mic, and Detachable MMCX Cable.” I see no mention of remote or mic on Drop and JVC USA. Is the Amazon listing wrong or are they selling a different version?

I don’t mind paying extra to have the convenience of mic and remote, even though I mostly used my FX-850 amped at my desk.

*Well I can’t cancel my Amazon order, but I can return it (with Prime, for an inaccurate listing if there is no mic). Can anyone confirm if the Drop version has a mic and remote?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #685 of 780
I lost my well-loved FX-850 in the O’Hare airport last night. :sob: I jumped on Amazon and bought the FW-01 (US version) during my flight home.

Of course I should have done more research here before buying as I didn’t know that Drop sold them, so I paid $80 more.

But as I look closer, the Amazon listing is titled “JVC HA-FW01 Wood Series IEM Class-S Solidege with Remote, Mic, and Detachable MMCX Cable.” I see no mention of remote or mic on Drop and JVC USA. Is the Amazon listing wrong or are they selling a different version?

I don’t mind paying extra to have the convenience of mic and remote, even though I mostly used my FX-850 amped at my desk.

*Well I can’t cancel my Amazon order, but I can return it (with Prime, for an inaccurate listing if there is no mic). Can anyone confirm if the Drop version has a mic and remote?

I have the drop version of the FW01 and it doesn't have a mic and remote

Mar 6, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #687 of 780
Thank you for the quick replies. I should receive my Amazon order by Tuesday. I’ll report back with whether a mic and remote have been added.

Mar 6, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #688 of 780
Thank you for the quick replies. I should receive my Amazon order by Tuesday. I’ll report back with whether a mic and remote have been added.

I’ve owned the FW01 twice, first when it came out ~3 years ago, and most recently with my Drop purchase ... no remote cable with either.

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #689 of 780
Nope. Despite the product name/description, FW-01 from Amazon did not have a mic or remote. I am returning it, have re-ordered the FW-01 from Drop, and will be pocketing the ~$90 difference.

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #690 of 780
Since JVC USA is now importing the JVC audiophile oriented IEMs like the FD01 and FW01, I hope Drop has the new FW1500 for sale at some time ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back