JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017)
Jul 28, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #661 of 780
Those graphs are not right, they are 'perceived' frequency response. He didn't post the actual frequency response.

I'm interested in the FW03. How does the number scheme work? The lower the number, higher end it is? Because FW01 is pricier than the others.

According to the spec, couple differences. FW01 has 1mm larger driver, and FW01 has quad-metal harmonizing micdronizer, compared to 3 on FW02, and 2 on FW03. Those are the only difference I tell by spec.

Anybody compare the models, and found the difference to be significant or negligible? The response on the FW03 looks the best to me.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #662 of 780
Ah, ok. I was just pulling whatever data I could find. I haven’t heard any other JVCs unfortunately but the FW03 did sound quite smooth from what I remember. Just a bit too quick on the high end roll off. I returned it due to comfort issues but I’d recommend it for sound. The lower the number the higher end apparently.

Jul 28, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #663 of 780
Those graphs are not right, they are 'perceived' frequency response. He didn't post the actual frequency response.

I'm interested in the FW03. How does the number scheme work? The lower the number, higher end it is? Because FW01 is pricier than the others.

According to the spec, couple differences. FW01 has 1mm larger driver, and FW01 has quad-metal harmonizing micdronizer, compared to 3 on FW02, and 2 on FW03. Those are the only difference I tell by spec.

Anybody compare the models, and found the difference to be significant or negligible? The response on the FW03 looks the best to me.

In 2016 the FW01 was the high-end, followed by the FW02, then FW03. The FW01 and 02 have an interchangeable cable that allows you to use them with JVC’s amp. This changed when they introduced the FW10000 last year.

IMO the FW01 needs the amp to sound their best. I’ve never heard the 02 and 03.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #664 of 780
Haven't been here in a long time. But I just broke out my FX1100 and have been loving them again. I switched to wireless earphones for most of my listening on the go for convenience purposes, but listening to these makes me miss the quality sound of corded earphones, and the sound signature of these specifically. I use LCD-2C at home, and I feel like they both have a similar sound that I love.

I imagine by now there are plenty of comparisons between the FW01 and FX1100. Could anyone point me to some?

Also, is it possible to re-shell these into a custom shell?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #665 of 780
Haven't been here in a long time. But I just broke out my FX1100 and have been loving them again. I switched to wireless earphones for most of my listening on the go for convenience purposes, but listening to these makes me miss the quality sound of corded earphones, and the sound signature of these specifically. I use LCD-2C at home, and I feel like they both have a similar sound that I love.

I imagine by now there are plenty of comparisons between the FW01 and FX1100. Could anyone point me to some?

Also, is it possible to re-shell these into a custom shell?

My FX1200's left side stopped working just after it's warranty lapsed. Tried some and bought some but never scratch some hard to describe itch. I knew I just had to buy another FX1200 got one fairly mint used pair. After FW01 came out I bought one and not able to go back to FX1200. After FW01, FX1200 seems muddy and veiled. Traded a little bit of lesser bass quantity for better defined bass, clearer and airier trebles for more details and separation. I have LCD2C too. Do you feel how clean LCD2C sounds after extended listening to FX1100?

FW01 good for it's price. With a good neutral source, good cable (silver ones) and good narrow bore tips it can sound even better. Or you can try FW10000 or IER-Z1R (evil grins).

My current IEM is oBravo Cupid. They are really very good. All my IEMS and LCD2C will be gathering dusts now.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #666 of 780
oBravo Cupid...hmm. What's the catch? They're reasonably priced as far as good IEMs go. You like them more than the Fw01?

I'm also considering jumping back into custom monitors with something like the Spiral Ears 3-way or Custom Art Fibae 4. But I've been out of this scene so long there are so many new companies :dizzy_face:

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #667 of 780
oBravo Cupid...hmm. What's the catch? They're reasonably priced as far as good IEMs go. You like them more than the Fw01?

I'm also considering jumping back into custom monitors with something like the Spiral Ears 3-way or Custom Art Fibae 4. But I've been out of this scene so long there are so many new companies :dizzy_face:

Feel in love with planars after owning LCD2C. But LCD2C lacks the bass punch and sub bass rumble of FW01.

Was searching high and low for a planar IEM or headphone with LCD2C crisp detail but with FW01's bass and gooey honeyed mids. Cupid does not have FW01's mids but beats it in everything else.

I am a bass head. Cupid's bass is IMHO one of the best (maybe behind Z1R or Atlas). I am also a bass head that appreciate details and balance in other frequencies. Cupid ticks all these requirements with flying colors. Give it a try.

Dec 28, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #668 of 780
I just noticed Drop had the FW01 available, but they were sold out. I created this thread and reviewed the FW01 on the first post and loved them, but I moved away from IEMs and gave my set to my son. If the Drop price is good, I probably will get a set.

Jan 5, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #669 of 780
The drop for the FW01 is live again, $250 + tax. I’m happy to have the FW01 back in my collection.

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #670 of 780
oBravo Cupid...hmm. What's the catch? They're reasonably priced as far as good IEMs go. You like them more than the Fw-01?

I have a pair of Cupids as well. They really are great IEMs. I wanted a planar in my collection and am very happy with them. I do find myself listening to my JVC FD-01 more though. They sound incredible with my Fiio M11 and Oriolus BA300s combo. I even like the JVCs, with this DAP amp combo,better than my Andromedas. I've a set of FW-01 on the way, excited to hear them.
That said, without the Oriolus, I would go back and forth between the JVC FD-01 and the Cupids. I liked them both equally, it just depended on which sound signature I fancied at the moment. If you are after planar hybrids, the Cupids are great.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #671 of 780
I received my new FW01 from Drop and have been burning them in. I gave my original FW01 to my son a while ago—I’m very happy to own it again. :ksc75smile:

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #673 of 780
In terms of comfort, which is best among the FW wood models? And which is warmest and least bright?

I vote for the FW01. I’ve owned the FX1100, FX850, FX700, and the FX500, the first of the JVC/Victor woodies.

Feb 1, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #674 of 780
I noticed recently JVC/Victor has released a new top end woodie, the HA-FW1500. I want to hear it!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #675 of 780
I received my pair of FW-01 from drop a few weeks ago and was initially very disappointed in the sound. The treble was very recessed and the mids were completely drowned out by the bass.

Now, though, they've either broken in or I've gotten used to them because they sound lush! The only thing to be aware of, for anyone reading this thread trying to decide whether to buy or not, is that these are bass heavy. They are decidedly not neutral. Which is why I personally purchased them: I wanted a bass heavy IEM, as my other pairs are all very balanced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back