JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017)
Dec 22, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #497 of 780
Interesting... like the IE800, they use a Helmholtz resonator to counteract ear canal resonance.
Yes their lower end model has a variation of helmholtz resonator used in IE800. Early impression for the cheaper model (12,000 JPY )seems to be positive link here https://www.phileweb.com/sp/review/article/201712/22/2884_2.html, however I got my eye on their flagship model, priced 50,000 JPY.
img_101.png

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #498 of 780
Well, I’m waiting to hear more observations on the new model before I jump.

One of the attractions of the JVC higher end models was the wood casing and wood fiber driver. Very unique. I gave my FW01 to my son, but I have to say I miss not having it anymore.

Dec 30, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #499 of 780
Recent Ha-FD01 [Solidedge 01 Inner] impressions on Phileweb:
https://www.phileweb.com/review/article/201712/29/2894.html

I don't speak Japanese, so I can't say much about it, other than I'm intrigued. Some interesting remarks:

"Individuals using audio samples before the retail version and still in is the actual sound and clear differences are second to none in satisfaction there is a seamless range of dynamic and lively, but low-mid range, BA-cemented good sharp high combines the characteristic Will no doubt be called JVC's new sound."
(Bing translate)
Comment: it seems like this sound can rival the trademark clarity and sharpness of balanced armature drivers.

"I also checked the effect of the J mount nozzle replacement system, but with standard stainless steel it is tight, firm and well clear sound sound, whereas with titanium it pushes the glitter of the high region further into the front, it is brilliant and sparky Change to things. The piano's attack is also a hard sound, the reverberation of the harmonics also shines cool, and the female voice also tends to highlight the sharp edge feeling that made it exciting. The sharpness is good, so affinity may be good for glowing sounds such as Anison.

And in the last one, it was a calm sounding with low center of gravity in brass, and the attack of the rhythm corps also depicted with a sense of density. The piano's attacks also had weight, and the harmonics also felt elegance that was natural and moist. It is smooth, has high space, and feels a well-balanced trend. It can be said that it is an interesting function that can directly taste the sound quality change brought about by the vibration suppression effect of a combination of dissimilar metals at the ear. In the subsequent audition, we focused on balance and decided to use a brass nozzle.

In classical music, expressing well-refreshed melody of orchestral instruments with clear and light touch. The reverberation of the lingering accompanies glow, and gorgeous harmony spreads to the S / N good sound field tightened in the low region. With jazz sound sources you can taste the wood base 's elastic tightening, the clear sound of the piano, the vivid and brilliant expression of the horn section."
(Google translate)
etc.

I suspect that the FD01 is only the beginning and we'll eventually get a headphone (SD01?). The SW01 is also getting old. I suspect that they'll update next year.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #500 of 780
I asked a friend of mine in Japan to give them a listen. He said he likes the bass quantity and sound of his FW01 however he said FD-01 is infact technically much better than FW01. He said the stock SS tube is hair north of neutral, with brass enchasing the bass and Titanium enhancing the treble.

The bass quality is fast, wide soundstage with moderate depth, detail without ever been harsh. Fit is much better than SW01. For what it is selling for it is a bargain however those who like the sound of cello out of FW01 (or some of similar nature) he still like the colouration of the wooden driver much more than the more reference sounding driver of FD-01.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #501 of 780
I asked a friend of mine in Japan to give them a listen. I like the bass quantity and sound of his SW01 however he said FD-01 is infact technically much better than SW01. He said the stock SS tube is hair north of neutral, with brass enchasing the bass and Titanium enhancing the treble.

The bass quality is fast, wide soundstage with moderate depth, detail without ever been harsh. Fit is much better than SW01. For what it is selling for it is a bargain however those who like the sound of cello out of SW01 (or some of similar nature) will still like the colouration of the wooden driver much more than the more reference sounding driver of FD-01.
Really nice informations,

Dec 30, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #502 of 780
I asked a friend of mine in Japan to give them a listen. I like the bass quantity and sound of his SW01 however he said FD-01 is infact technically much better than SW01. He said the stock SS tube is hair north of neutral, with brass enchasing the bass and Titanium enhancing the treble.

The bass quality is fast, wide soundstage with moderate depth, detail without ever been harsh. Fit is much better than SW01. For what it is selling for it is a bargain however those who like the sound of cello out of SW01 (or some of similar nature) will still like the colouration of the wooden driver much more than the more reference sounding driver of FD-01.

Very interesting. But so we’re sure we’re talking about the same thing: SW01 is the headphone, while FW01 is the earphone.

Has he also been able to hear it via the SU-AX01? The FW01’s balanced cable is compatible with the FD01.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #503 of 780
I asked him the same questions he replied he was talking about the FW01, he was thinking about buying the SW01 hence subconsciously wrote that in his reply to me.

I'll ask him again to do that but the shoes normally dont like cable swap, they use silicon to stop people from swapping and potentially stealing iem.

For some reason im thinking of getting a Pono player to pair it with fw01 using the JVC balance cable.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #504 of 780
My new year resolution was to spend less on audio product and more on music, i still had time so I placed an order for FD-01 and pono player and the JVC balance cable for the FW-01. Once I have them in my position I will report back. Next year I will certainly restrain myself from it.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #506 of 780
My new year resolution was to spend less on audio product and more on music, i still had time so I placed an order for FD-01 and pono player and the JVC balance cable for the FW-01. Once I have them in my position I will report back. Next year I will certainly restrain myself from it.

Looking forward to your observations ...

Jan 1, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #507 of 780
Hoping soon we will be able to see some impressions about the FD01 ,

Jan 1, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #510 of 780
Do you have lz-a4? Are you able to give a a/b comparison if you happened to have it. Thanks
P.s please share what does each individual front filters do to the sig.
lz-a4, its the first the time i've heard it. Once I get my unit I will report back but the two friend of mine who had this unit already whose view I value alot both told me the same thing I posted before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back