JVC FX500, Head-Direct RE262, Radius DDM, or Sennheiser IE7?
Feb 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

loremipsum

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi,

I'm trying to decide on a "basshead" IEM in the <$250 price range, and (I think) I've narrowed it down to these 4. How do they compare, soundwise? My source will be an iPod Touch 2nd gen playing mainly 320kbps .mp3s. I listen mostly to electronic music and hip-hop, so good bass is essential.

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 6
No way is the 262 a basshead iem, if you want basshead go with the DDM

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, I don't really need gigantic globs of bass, just something with more presence and impact than the Westone 1 (which doesn't satisfy my needs for either bass or treble)

What about the FX500 and IE7?

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 6
How about the Panasonic HJE900 or the Future Sonic Atrio M5 (MG7) ??

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 6
The FX500s have loads of bass presence, more of the sub bass than the midbass that's characteristic of the IE8s and DDMs. I suppose bass texture won't be that much of a concern listening to hiphop or electronica but as I listen to classical mostly through them when on the go, it has to be said: that's what I love the most about the FX500s. The texture contributes significantly to the great timbre that the FX500s are known for. They're quite sibilant though. I don't know how that'll affect your type of music, given that my music preferences exclude hiphop and electronica.

I got to audition the DDMs for about an hour today and I have to say, I wasn't all impressed by them. They had loads of bass, no doubt, but the DDMs just seemed so muddy and confused compared to the FX500s. I've read reviews extolling their bass texture but I just couldn't make that out earlier today. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the FX500s, or maybe the listening environment wasn't optimal, or maybe I couldn't mate them with my ears properly. If you like your bass though (and that's all you care about - authoritative high end, fit, isolation and microphonics aside), then the DDMs are an easy recommendation.

I can also vouch for the HJE900s being well-suited for more modern music genres. They hit hard enough when called for and they have an in-your-face type of presentation; gobs of midbass and a very fun sound signature. They also tend to be sibilant on some recordings, however, but not to the extent that the FX500s can be.

Btw, the person whose DDMs I auditioned earlier today also gave his impressions of the IE7s. They're more of a mid-centric deal, and have significantly less bass than the IE8s. He said they're better suited for classical music than more modern genres. I didn't get to listen to them though: he only brought the DDMs and SE530s with him. Re: the SE530s, well, that's a whole other story.

I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back