JVC DX1000 vs. Denon D7000: a mini-review
Aug 12, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #76 of 141
i'm wondering if this colouration is euphonic and pleasant, or if it sounds muddled and grungy i.e in layered music and a wall of sound like UNKLE (James Lavelle) it would be muddy. i also wonder if this echo actually blocks the resolution of sounds in a mix, or whether it's just a reverb effect.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #77 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by reptillian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm wondering if this colouration is euphonic and pleasant, or if it sounds muddled and grungy i.e in layered music and a wall of sound like UNKLE (James Lavelle) it would be muddy. i also wonder if this echo actually blocks the resolution of sounds in a mix, or whether it's just a reverb effect.

I think some of these "honky" impressions are due to the slight reverb effect. I don't feel that the mids are muddy at all, especially compared to HD 650 (my reference).

I had trouble accepting the DX1000 mids at first because I was so used to the overly warm nature of HD 650...which I still love and prefer for some music.

After 10 minutes of listening to DX1000 coming from HD 650, my brain adjusts and the mids change from sounding thin (in comparison) to being just right.

...of course the bass is down right amazing!
darthsmile.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #78 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "honky colored midrange"? The DX1000's sound like excellent closed headphones that manage to marry the bass and PraT of the Denons with better soundstaging and (perhaps) better build quality, but I've read this comment about their mids a few times and it worries me. Natural midrange is crucial, IMO.

The mids are definitely something I would suggest you hear before you buy. I guess in this respect they remind me a bit of AT's in that their midrange is a bit funky. I remember when Moonboy listened to my AD2000's at the last LA meet he said they reminded him of the DX1000's but were more balanced - which is true I think. I don't personally dislike the coloration, but if I were in the market for a good closed can I would buy (and nearly did buy) the D7000 because the DX1000 is a bit too dark and slow (not terribly so, but these are two traits I really dislike) for me. I agree that they have really excellent soundstage (amazingly wide and the best of any closed can I've heard), build quality and comfort - but the sound signature of the denons of powerful bass married with roughly neutral mids and highs is more appealing to me since I listen to a good amount of electronic music.

Here were my initial impressions:
Quote:

Denon D7000 and JVC DX1000:

I compared these two phones since they’re both closed, bass-heavy woodies.
The DX1000 is more solid and well-built. It has an interesting coloration in the midrange that I don’t necessarily consider a negative. The bass is pronounced and has both high quantity and quality. They have a very interesting soundstage which extends sideways and is probably as good or better than any other closed phone I’ve heard.
The D7000 is probably a more neutral phone. It also has pronounced bass, but its frequency response is probably more tilted toward treble in addition to bass rather than midrange. Like the DX1000 it is a very “fun” phone although obviously not as detailed as the HD800, K701, or even my AD2000’s. I will probably either buy a pair of D7000’s or buy some D2000’s and have them woodied.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #79 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mids are definitely something I would suggest you hear before you buy. I guess in this respect they remind me a bit of AT's in that their midrange is a bit funky.

Funky as in W5000 funky, or AD2000 funky? One being sort of hollow, the other being artificially warm and forward...

Quote:

I remember when Moonboy listened to my AD2000's at the last LA meet he said they reminded him of the DX1000's but were more balanced - which is true I think. I don't personally dislike the coloration, but if I were in the market for a good closed can I would buy (and nearly did buy) the D7000 because the DX1000 is a bit too dark and slow (not terribly so, but these are two traits I really dislike) for me.

So you find the D7000 to be faster, as well?

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #80 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funky as in W5000 funky, or AD2000 funky? One being sort of hollow, the other being artificially warm and forward...
So you find the D7000 to be faster, as well?

I think the coloration is more similar to the ad2000 - except the addition of large bass quantity to the colored mods gives it a darker sound. I do not think the dx1000 sound unnatural or hollow.

I don't think the dx1000 are actually really slow but the dark sound makes them have a slower perceived speed. The denons are slightly bright which makes them seem faster.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #81 of 141
i guess i won't get to listen A-B to the DX1000 and D7000. i might end up getting both eventually. is the AH-D7000 bright with solid state equipment of correct power, or not?

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #82 of 141
Quote:

i guess i won't get to listen A-B to the DX1000 and D7000. i might end up getting both eventually. is the AH-D7000 bright with solid state equipment of correct power, or not?

Well I just got my D7000s yesterday and I was only able to listen to them from my PC -> Fisher stereo amp. I must say they sound amazing but they can be a little bit bright sometimes even though the bass is really strong. I think that when I get my tube amp they will sound just perfect.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #84 of 141
Quote:

The D7000 stock is slightly bright - I don't find it to be too bright, but it is a little bright. I warn you that the markl modded denons sound much brighter because the mod removes much of the bass - many prefer stock to modded.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #85 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it needs some burn-in and things might improved.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I did listen to them for a couple of hours last night (no fatigue! such a nice change from my Shure E2Cs) and I don't know if it was the headphones or my ears getting used to them, but they seemed to sort of 'even-out' a bit in terms of the brightness.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #86 of 141
I imagine a couple of weeks of burn in should do it - most of my phones seems to stablise by then (with exception of 701 of course). You could use ipod/radio/discman etc to do the run in while you are not around, just wrap the phone with towel etc to stop the noise.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #87 of 141
Quote:

The D7000 stock is slightly bright - I don't find it to be too bright, but it is a little bright. I warn you that the markl modded denons sound much brighter because the mod removes much of the bass - many prefer stock to modded.

Have you heard his la 7000 mod or was it the 2000/5000 modded ones? I know he uses different damping material in the 7000's. Just wondering

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #88 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard his la 7000 mod or was it the 2000/5000 modded ones? I know he uses different damping material in the 7000's. Just wondering

I heard the la7000 briefly and did not find them to be all that bright. The md5000 I heard were too bright. I did not get to listen to the la7k for that long so I can't say that much about them.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #90 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
need suggestion on amping my 7000's
500 idealy but i will consider upt to $1ooo
optical and usb a must

If there is a better amp/DAC combo for the D7000 than the Grace M902, I haven't heard it. It's simply sublime. Rock, classical, jazz, you name it, outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back