JVC DX1000 vs. Denon D7000: a mini-review
Feb 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #46 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you haven's tested it against the DX1000, right?
I believe the DX1000 is more "special", not for everyone's ears, the D7000 should be compatible for the masses
wink.gif

Here in Austria I can't get a test sample of a DX1000 - the local official JVC brunch office tells me - the DX1000 is not in the Austrian JVC portfolio
confused_face(1).gif

I don't know about a dealer in Austria who sells them
confused_face_2.gif

But I am snoopy to compare them still
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #48 of 141
Quote:

But you haven's tested it against the DX1000, right?
I believe the DX1000 is more "special", not for everyone's ears, the D7000 should be compatible for the masses
wink.gif

I can agree with this. The DX1000 is more of an aquired taste. Funny thing is, even though I right now prefer the D7000 I have no intention on selling my DX1000. There's just something about 'em...

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #49 of 141
I agree.... I am enjoying my D7000 more at the moment than my DX1000. I think the D7000 are easier to match with different amps. The DX1000 IMO needs a faster and more dynamic amp. I thought they were a little bit too dark with my RP-7 but matched very good with my RPX-33.

Next step is to go balanced for both..... New balanced amp in it's way!!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #50 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree.... I am enjoying my D7000 more at the moment than my DX1000. I think the D7000 are easier to match with different amps. The DX1000 IMO needs a faster and more dynamic amp. I thought they were a little bit too dark with my RP-7 but matched very good with my RPX-33.

Next step is to go balanced for both..... New balanced amp in it's way!!

I'll be interested to hear what you think about the DX1000s balanced. I ran them that way for several months before reverting to single-ended.

best,

o

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #51 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can agree with this. The DX1000 is more of an acquired taste. Funny thing is, even though I right now prefer the D7000 I have no intention on selling my DX1000. There's just something about 'em...

Yes, this is probably right - all headphones have a "sound" - and the D7000 are slightly more neutral, strictly speaking, than the DX1000 - although I still prefer the DX1000 (admittedly my D7000 experience was at a meet only).

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #53 of 141
Quote:

You fall in love with special people, but special people are rarely perfect. It is like this with those cans - the D7000 seems not to make any major mistakes, but has no special strengths or weaknesser that makes them special - something to appreciate, but not to love... maybe...

I can relate to that... but those things are generally a "love it or hate it" thing so I hope I love the DX1000 :d

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #54 of 141
Interesting thread. I've had the DX1000's recommended to me before. It's good to know that the D7000s are comparable, because I was able to lock them in at the $540 price at J&R. Supposedly they will ship out next week, so I'm interested in seeing what all the hoopla is about.

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #56 of 141
Addressing the OP, here's an excerpt from a recent post by Sceptre concerning bass on the main HD800 thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My comments about bass are as follows. For an open design they have plenty of base. Do they have as much bass slam as some of the best closed headphones? No. Is the bass there and enjoyable - Yes, but not 'slamming'. I would argue that we should never expect and open design to have the same bottom end characteristics as a closed phone. I was able to increase volume and get some very rich enjoyable bass, but would never be able to get the UE9 bass presence. The HD800 is too accurate to have a bass hump. The bass is there, but not in your face like UE9 or D2000.

So it may not quite be there on bass (as expected from an open headphone), but it's still quite present. It'll serve as a good compliment for D7000s or DX1000s.

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #57 of 141
I have found this thread very informative, thanks to all that commented. I am about to add to my headphone collection by buying the hd 800. The comments in this thread has made me unsure about my choice. Noted were isolation, bass and overall "sound".

I mainly use AKG 701 phones, 1 pair in a tube and sacd rig, another 1 in a touch /itransport /dac/ ss preamp out rig +++ power driven. I was out harvesting cabernet grapes with wife and friends this weekend and was using a touch / shure pth530 iem. I loved the isolation and enjoyed the music very much, I also enjoyed the bass from this rig, and realised I had been missing it somewhat. Anyway the music made hard work more pleasant.

I realize that I could drown out a lot of noise with a closed design and perhaps enjoy the music more, the joys of teenagers, flute lessons and dogs outside all add up.
The 701 may not be recognized for its bass prowess, but I enjoy the detail and stage. It is my only refererence and I have to travel 700 Km to hear only a limited alternative range, so for me all depend on research, opinion and a lot of trust. Then I have to order, pay, and take what I get and shut up.

I love the low grunt of the cello and sax, the bass notes from the piano and organ and the upright bass and kettle drums. So I am quite envious of the qualities you describe in this post. True, I dont know what I am missing.

Maybe I could do well buying a dx1000 or d7000 and enjoy the music more, I dont know.
So with your collective experience, please predict what I will most likely "feel and hear" given my 701 paradigm with all music excluding heavy rock, hip hop, trance and metal.

Just give it your best shot DX1000 or D7000 or HD800. I will buy the phone that you can convince me to, using your experience and powers of reason and post the outcome of our endeavour.

Thanks,
Tom.

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #58 of 141
You are forgetting the Ultrasones here
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have had the K701 for a month or two now and I am starting to like it. I did miss the bass, body and emotion of the music in the beginning but with the aid of more burn in and my LFE I do enjoy it. The PRO 900 is quite warm and lush the way I modded them now so it´s refreshing with something bright for a change. I think they complement eachother really well even though the PRO 900 is definiatly the better performer overall in term of pure sound quality and tonality. As for bass quality much much better the 900 over the markl modded D5000 and the treble is also vastly improved I feel. Particularly by KeeS modding them.

As for the HD 800 hard to tell though but I suspect it´s very hard to have good bass with open headphones. Well it´s hard with any headphone but the only headphone that can in any way match a sub woofers bass quality (not quantity) is my Ultrasones. And all my second, third places etc are closed headphones. Open headphones are of course more airy which is both a con and a pos depending on what you are listening to.

AKG K701 is serious headphones made for studio use. The denons from my experience are pure fun headphones whereas the Ultrasones are also made for studio use. At least the Proline 750. So if you want something to sound natural I do believe the Ultrasones is a safer bet if there ever is such a thing lol.

DX1000/D7000/PRO 900 I would look up if money is no subject.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #59 of 141
Nice mini review! It's rather uncanny how spot on the review was with my thoughts regarding the DX-1000, and as I read the review, I nodded in agreement to everything that was said about the DX-1000.

It was stated that open headphones cannot do bass; I disagree. The HD 650 does a good job at creating bass. And, the open X-Deep Darth's (even though they weren't originally designed open) they do bass very well. It's dependent on system matching and the type of amplification being used, etc.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #60 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by t/sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I realize that I could drown out a lot of noise with a closed design and perhaps enjoy the music more, the joys of teenagers, flute lessons and dogs outside all add up.

This is why, for me, it has to be closed cans, except at work. At home, with a 10 and 12 year old about, and for the bedside rig so as not to disturb my sleeping wife, closed cans are an absolute requirement. I do not want to have to turn the volume up to enjoy the music - I am very careful to listen at levels that will not damage my hearing. And at such levels, closed cans are much more satisfying to me.

Sadly, there are only a few great closed cans, versus many great open ones. But at least now with the Denons, there are more than there used to be. I'm still a DX1000 kind of guy, maybe always will be, but the Denon headphones are a welcome addition to the closed headphone world, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back