Just Sold My LCD-2 Rev 1...Where To Go Now?
Mar 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

KimChee

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I'm still on my hunt for the perfect headphone, I just sold my LCD-2.  It was very natural sounding, best mids I've ever heard, great textured bass, but it just wasn't for me.  I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I prefer more of a high-end consumer sound vs a pure audiophile sound.  This was most evident when I put my Denon D2000 on this evening to compare.  Yes, it is far less detailed, less natural sounding, the mids sound very thin in comparison, there is a veil that seems to be lifted when I switch back to the LCD-2..all these things are evident to me, and logically I know all these things, and yet I like the punchy, fun sound of the Denon D2000 that I didn't feel in my LCD-2.  Makes very little sense to me at least logically.  I did like the "darkish" timbre of the LCD-2, it was phenomenal. Perhaps this is why the JH-16 is my favorite custom of all time, great bass texture, detail, quantity and headroom that doesn't bleed into the other spectrums, neutral mids, dark but airy detailed highs. I definately prefer my JH-16 to any ciem, iem, or headphone I've ever heard.

I've owned most of the mid-tier headphones people go for:AKG K701, K550, Grado 325, Senn HD600, now Denon D2000, Modded Fostex, but I'm not really sure where to go from here.  From reading anyways, I don't think I'd like the Senn HD800, I don't really care to invest in a crazy amp system either.  Right now I'm thinking of just keeping my D2000 and upgrading the shells, (sorry guys I'm a sucker for wooden headphones), or possibly moving up to the D7000, since I like the Denon D house sound.  It seems like a never ending cycle, I'm sure next I'll be looking into higher end desktop amps, but maybe I should looking around at other hobbies.  I was listening to my TF10 customs out of my Arrow 3G today while working out and thought to myself if this is the only earphone I had I'd probably still be happy.  It is human nature to always want more, but I'd really like to avoid just getting "the best" because I can.  Any suggestions, thoughts, or insights guys?  Thanks in advance, if anything I'm at the end of my portable amp and custom journey.  

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 25
Try new Fostex TH-900, natural evolution of D7000s. Or TH-600 if they are too pricey.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 25
I think your reaction and thougts are quite healthy. If you feel happy with the d2000, those tf10's and the arrow, then stay with them. In the end it is all about enjoying music and you don't need a "perfect" headphone to do that. A practical headphone with a joyfull sound should be enough and you seem to have found just that. You have been exploring yourself and your preferences, now it's back to the music. Cheers :)

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 25
If you really like the D2000, just stick to them. Maybe upgraditis kicks in later, or maybe it doesnt. Most of the times, it does eventually 
tongue.gif
Instead you can spend the saved cash on a new amp to get more out of the cans or on music as that is what this hobby is all about, listening to the music instead of the gear.

Bottom-line; if you're happy with your setup, more power to you(and your wallet
rolleyes.gif
)

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 25
Nothing wrong with the d2k if it sounds good to you. You can always add some Markl mods to it if you have some money to burn. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 25
For the record, KimChee owned the first revision of the LCD-2.  I know this because I saw his ad a few times, but then talked myself out of going for it.  
size]

Does your preference lean more towards an open, or a closed headphone?

I looked through your list of previously owned headphones, but didn't see any HifiMAN on there.  What about the HE-500?  As to a fun, and not-so-audiophile sound, the HE-400 is a good one, but just not so good with female vocals.  So, that's why the suggestion of the HE-500.  Still a bit lighter then the LCD2, still some good bass.  Still an open sound.

OK, I'm out of ideas.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 25
People always talked about how small the SS of the LCD-2 was..I mean yeah it was no K702, but when I hear small I'm thinking UM3x or the lower end Grados..now those are small.  I generally prefer open headphones, but closed is nice for sound isolation.  I've thought about HE-400, I think it's around the same as D5000 isn't it?  I might just go for the D7000 if I can find one at a decent price.  Or just hope to luck out on some D5000 cups and call it a day.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 25
The HE-400 doesn't do female vocals as well as the HE-500 or HE-5LE does.

Marty apparently has some custom Denon D2000 cups.  He indicates on his site that he has enough material to make another pair.  I'm not sure of the cost, though.  However, they are gorgeous: http://www.martincustomaudio.com/2013/02/cocobolo-denon-d2000-cups-with-18-jacks.html

Lawton Audio offers custom wooden cups for the Denon.  However, the price is $289.  http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page14.html

There's a reference to stock, wooden D5000 cups for $59 in this thread.  I'm not sure if this is Denon's offered price, or what.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/593706/wood-cups-for-d2000-or-new-headphones

Lawton had a new pair of D5000 cups that was sold on Ebay last month for a bit over $100.  The link to the auction is on this page of the Denon information:  http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page13.html  (do note how they mention that the D5000 cups will not directly fit on the D2000 model without a few mods to make it work.)

I think that's all I can come up with at the moment.  

Enjoy!

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #10 of 25
...did someone say they wanted a d5k:)

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 25
I'm interested!

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 25
Mar 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Barid (Andy), please meet Kim Chee.  He's in West Virginia.  I've sold items to him in the past.  He's a good guy to work with. 

Let the negotiations begin. 
biggrin.gif

Ha, yes it looks like we have  deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back