Just received my HD650s
Aug 23, 2010 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

cjpearson

Head-Fier
I just received my new cans in the post. Here are some pictures:
I'm still waiting on my HRT MUSIC STREAMER II+ and my LP12 turntable and pp3 phono stage that I ordered last Thursday.

Here are my impressions of the phones (please be patient i'm still learning)

I can certainly see now why many Head-Fiers said these are rather warm headphones. They suit me very well, I enjoy many different genres of music but love: Classical, Bob Dylan and The Beatles. This pair is just perfect for what i'm going to be using it for.

The highs are perfectly balanced, to my ear at least. I can listen to these with moderately high volume, and even with Dylan's harmonica blaring in 'front :wink:' of me, my ears are able to cope and don't bleed everywhere.  The bass is subtle and somewhat subdued, but then again i'm not a real bass-head.

I demoed a lot of phones. I bought the Little Dot MK III because it was relatively cheap but the audio quality is excellent, and wanted to get audiophile grade headphones, but didn't want to pay a hell of a lot. To me the Grados were too shrill at the high end, this probably isn't a bad thing, but i've always had Sennheiser and i'm more adjusted to their easy 'subdued' sound.

I've only had them a couple of hours but haven't taken them off. When the turntable arrives i'll be well and truly on my way to building quite a collection of audio components. In a month or so i'll be getting a rather nice bonus from work, so plan on buying some 800s and a bigger amp. But until then i'll be enjoying these!

I just wanted to say thank-you to all the contributors to this site.  The breadth of your knowledge is truly humbling, and i've learned so much in the past couple of weeks.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 16
They're no brand new but they're definitely in new condition. The man i bought them from is a serious audiophile, his listening room is epic...quad electrostatics and the whole bit, so i'm confident they've been looked after.

Quote:
those look like the old version. but yea the hd650 is freakin awesome. congrats on your buy.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 16
HD650 will sound great out of your OTL tube amp, great purchase :wink:

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 16
Congratulations on your new acquisition cjpearson. Great photos too! Your impressions match the consensus of those who are fans of this headphone and it's these purported characteristics that have got me eyeing up the HD 650 too. I'll also be pairing it with a Little Dot tube amplifier.

Enjoy!

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 16
HD650 is absolutely very good. The only deficient for me is that the high frequency is not good enough. Replacing a good cable can sort of solving this problem. The replacing doesn't necessarily need lots of bucks. As for me, I spent around $100 to DIY a cable with my friend and it sounds better than any other HD650 cable that we have heard. Anyway, congratulation of owning this great headphone!

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #10 of 16
It sure is I own 9 of their fountain pens :D

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I feel like i've made a good decision now. Probably not the cheapest of hobbies to have undertaken :wink: Although, just listening to these things with Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde playing crystal clear...let's just say it made the purchase of all my gear completely worthwhile.
Quote:
is that a mont blanc pen i see?

if so you are one high roller my friend, also congrats on the cans

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 16
Congrats. I love my HD650s. Bought them used in near mint condition. After this buy it will be very expensive to get anything better worth buying.

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 16
Congratulations on your new HD 650! Glad you like them 
smile.gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Aug 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
[size=medium]

It sure is I own 9 of their fountain pens :D

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I feel like i've made a good decision now. Probably not the cheapest of hobbies to have undertaken :wink: Although, just listening to these things with Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde playing crystal clear...let's just say it made the purchase of all my gear completely worthwhile.

Quote:
is that a mont blanc pen i see?

if so you are one high roller my friend, also congrats on the cans

lol im a fan of mont blanc as well i have a few pens and a watch, lol i learned that they apparently dont make as much mileage as a bic regular ballpoint for like $3, but still fancy
[/size]

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #15 of 16
I was talking to a friend of mine today, who's rather passionate about Italian motors, classic Lamborghinis in particular. As I was looking over his latest restoration project I noticed a Mont blanc Generation ballpoint in his pocket, with a massive crack up the side.

Me: "Jesus, great to see you're caring for your pens there Alex"
Alex "If you drop them, and they don't break - then they aren't worth a place in your pocket."

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back