Just ordered some JH16's
Jul 16, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #16 of 32
Well folks, after listening to these for an evening, I have to say I'm not even going to try to post a more in depth review.  It would be pointless.  These outclass the the SE530 in every way, which is the only "high end" headphone I can compare it to.  While the SE530 is good, it compromises on bass.  The JH16 does not compromise on anything. 

My search is over.  I am completely satisfied. My advice for anyone considering buying a headphone over $400.  Don't do it.  If you are willing to go that far, don't kid yourself.  Just accept that you are going to spend a ton of money one way or another, so don't end up with a box of full of mid grade stuff.  Do yourself a favor and cut to the chase. You will be much happier. 

I have given all my other phones to my GF save for a pair of PX100iis.

Thanks again to this forum for all the info.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #17 of 32

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #18 of 32
Congrats on your new JH16's, I  knew you would like them
gs1000.gif
, and they did a nice job on the art work, mine have no art work at all, just a clear black smoke look "just enough so you can see the internals, which I like. I am sure you are hearing things in tracks you never knew existed, and every instrument is clearly separated, the music sounds the way the artist meant it to sound, these IEM's  are not for compressed file music, as in junk in junk out, if a recording is bad they will let you know.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #19 of 32
You aren't kidding.  That's been the only downside, is discovering that some tracks I really like are just not recorded very well.  At first I was not that impressed with the JH16 with some tracks  (slight improvement, but not enough to justify the enormous expense).  Then I listened to something that was recorded well and it was like "Wow" that's a whole different world.  And I realized that I had hit the limit with some recordings, and they will just never sound really great, which is kinda sad.  Ignorance is bliss. (not really)

Now I am back to buying cds to replace downloaded stuff.  That kinda sucks. But it's well worth it.

Quote:
Congrats on your new JH16's, I  knew you would like them
gs1000.gif
, and they did a nice job on the art work, mine have no art work at all, just a clear black smoke look "just enough so you can see the internals, which I like. I am sure you are hearing things in tracks you never knew existed, and every instrument is clearly separated, the music sounds the way the artist meant it to sound, these IEM's  are not for compressed file music, as in junk in junk out, if a recording is bad they will let you know.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #20 of 32
I would not call buying a set of JH16 taking a dive in any respect.  Don't know what other IEM out there can deliver on this level without costing the same or more. (UE18 with two less drivers for example costs more)  I am not aware of any other option that will give this quality of sound in an ultra portable set up.  If it seems crazy to you, then by all means don't do it!   For those that decide to, I can say for sure that they are well worth the cost over something like the SE530.  I wish I had skipped the SE530, but then I would not know just how much better the JH16 is.

For anyone who does not own JH16, anything you say comparing them to other customs is just speculation. All customs are not all the same. I would not expect a custom with 3 drivers to sound like one with 8, even though they may look similar, and one costs less. For that matter  I would not expect a custom with 3 drivers to sound that much better than a universal with 3 drivers.  You can see evidence of that in threads where people get SE530 or W3 reshelled.  Having 8 drivers, 4 of which are dedicated to bass, and another 2 for mids, and 2 more for highs with an internal crossover makes a huge difference however...  

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #21 of 32
So after a while now of listening to these, I am sure that I am ruined.   There is no going back from this level of detail and clarity.   These are vastly superior to the SE530.   The SE530 offers a glimpse of the clarity and detail that is possible, but falls way short, and the compromises for the "sweet" mids are pretty huge and unacceptable by comparison to JH16.   The JH16 is a zero compromise IEM.  

Oddly instead of being focused how amazing these sound, I find myself wondering why all phones don't sound this way.  It's like I have been cheated out of my music for my whole life.  I never really heard it, just a shabby muddy generalized approximation of it.  Other phones are unacceptable now.  The only downside to the JH16 is that every time I have to buy a new set of phones, it's going to cost me a huge pile of money from now on.  But I will gladly pay it...
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #22 of 32
Trentemøller - OMG   

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #23 of 32
A month later, very thoroughly spoiled now. These kill. Pure audio bliss. straight out of the iPhone. No regrets whatsoever.:)

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #25 of 32
Not sad at all. At least not yet. Now when/if I have to replace them, OUCH!

But until then ( I take super good care of my gear) nothing but pure contentment.

The only down side is that there is no substitute at all. It's these or nothing. Anything else is just substandard. These will ruin you.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #26 of 32
Half of the fun in this hobby is "the hunt".  The process of researching, shopping and buying.  The anticipation of waiting for the UPS guy.  The brand new box of IEM's you receive!  I like to just stare at the brand new package for a while before opening it, etc, etc.

But once you get to the top, you no longer do the things above.  But yea, the treade-off of having JH16's is certainly not bad.
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:
Half of the fun in this hobby is "the hunt".  The process of researching, shopping and buying.  The anticipation of waiting for the UPS guy.  The brand new box of IEM's you receive!  I like to just stare at the brand new package for a while before opening it, etc, etc.

But once you get to the top, you no longer do the things above.  But yea, the treade-off of having JH16's is certainly not bad.
biggrin.gif

Been stuck in that phase for 3 months, and counting...
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #28 of 32
Ok first let me say I'm not a big Beatles fan,  but a while back I bought the whole new remastered catalog and ripped it to ALAC, then flipped the cd's on ebay.   So I finally got around to listening to these recordings.   Holy crap.   These sound amazing.  I am not sure if it's the remaster, or the ALAC, or both, but they sound so much more "organic" and life like than anything else I have listened to so far.  Detail is of course ridiculously good. 

So far (to save space, and to make my music usable across platforms should I ever decide to ditch apple) I have been ripping music to 320 mp3.   That sounds pretty **** good.  But the sound I'm getting from the remastered ALAC Beatles absolutely kills everything I have heard so far. 

With the JH16, I can definitely tell the difference between 256 (downloaded from Itunes) and 320 ripped.  But ALAC (I think) takes it to a totally new level.   I'm going to have to re-rip some of my favorite discs (Radiohead and Beck) to lossless and see if it's these specific Beatles discs or the lossless that is making a difference.  Whatever it is, the difference is huge.

One thing about the JH16 is that is sounds so good that I find myself enjoying tunes I normally don't really care for, just because they sound so **** good.  The Beatles is a fine example.  

It's really something when you have really excellent/revealing equipment combined with excellent recordings.  It makes it a joy to listen to almost anything.  I think I could even enjoy country music if it sounds this good.

To all you guys messing around with lower end phones,  trust me, you can't REALLY start to hear the differences in bit rate/ recording quality until you step up to this level.   If you are feeling frustrated about not being able to hear what others are talking about, it's because your mid level (but still pretty expensive) phones are just not capable revealing the details.   If there's anything I can say to people that are messing around with $200-$500 phones, STOP,  save your money, and then get the good stuff.   The differences are REAL, but you can't get there with mid grade equipment.   Not even close.  I can't emphasize this enough, either stick with something good but not too expensive (like the PX100 or comparable iems) and be happy with pretty good sound,  OR  get serious and pony up the good stuff and get ready for a whole new world.   

But spending $300 on whatever phones/iems, and then heming and hawing over the difference between those and a slightly more/less expensive set is a TOTAL waste of money and time IMO.  The JH16 totally destroys my old ($400) Shures. There's just no comparison.   I'm so glad I didn't spend hundreds more trying out IE8, westones, whatever. 

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #29 of 32
To all you guys messing around with lower end phones,  trust me, you can't REALLY start to hear the differences in bit rate/ recording quality until you step up to this level.   If you are feeling frustrated about not being able to hear what others are talking about, it's because your mid level (but still pretty expensive) phones are just not capable revealing the details.   If there's anything I can say to people that are messing around with $200-$500 phones, STOP,  save your money, and then get the good stuff.   The differences are REAL, but you can't get there with mid grade equipment.   Not even close.  I can't emphasize this enough, either stick with something good but not too expensive (like the PX100 or comparable iems) and be happy with pretty good sound,  OR  get serious and pony up the good stuff and get ready for a whole new world.   

But spending $300 on whatever phones/iems, and then heming and hawing over the difference between those and a slightly more/less expensive set is a TOTAL waste of money and time IMO.  The JH16 totally destroys my old ($400) Shures. There's just no comparison.   I'm so glad I didn't spend hundreds more trying out IE8, westones, whatever. 

It's nice to hear that you've found such contentment with the JH16's my friend, but:

1. The JH16's, and many other top of the line customs, aren't exactly within everyone's budget, and this apparent NEED to upgrade is the absolute farthest from the truth.

2. The NEED to upgrade to customs is too vague a statement, because I don't find it the least bit impossible to believe that someone may very well be just as content with their universals, as you are with your customs. In fact, there are an infinite number of personal factors that come into play, and no 2 listeners will perceive the exact same sound, per se.

3. I love quite a few of my top-tiers, to no end. Never for a minute would I consider any of them wasted purchases. Again, it's too vague to declare all universals a waste of money, over customs. One mans trash, another mans treasure.

4. You mentioned details, to which I feel almost compelled to say, the details brought forth with my RE252's are ample for my taste, and I enjoy them to no end. I don't doubt as to whether or not customs would reveal a whole new range of details, but I wouldn't deem it necessary for my enjoyment, nor anyone else's, either.

5. My advice to all my fellow Head-Fi'ers, if you are content with what you're listening to, that's all that matters. No 2 listeners values are one and the same, and be it a minority population, there are a few who have owned customs, and felt otherwise. Just goes to show you that there are two sides to every coin.

Now, I'd like to mention one last thing. In writing this, I have no intent to insult our friend macshooter, and much like him, I'm merely stating my opinion. I only wish to convey my thoughts, since I most certainly don't agree with the argument at hand. However, I respect macshooter's opinions, and am again happy to know that he's found such contentment with the JH16's. Nevertheless, in my most honest opinion, that very contentment may be achieved in universals and customs alike, and if ones pockets allow for him/her to take the custom route, then by all means, don't let me stop you. But at the same time, don't feel compelled to do so. :)

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #30 of 32
I don't really have any issues with what i2ehan said, but I would like like to clarify my position a little in light of it.  I am not suggesting that anyone needs to upgrade, and yes the JH16 is crazy expensive, and not for everyone.

What I am saying, is that if you have already spent HUNDRED$ of DOLLAR$ on a set headphones, you are likely the sort of person who is looking for the best sound, and you are not going to be satisfied with something like the $60 PX100 (or whatever pretty good but affordable phone you happen to like).   

If that is the case for you, and you still have not found what you are happy with after having spent hundreds of dollars on headphones,  STOP,   save your money over time and jump to the top teir,  you will be much happier than spending another $200-$500 on whatever other phones you had in mind. 

If a mid tier set is what works for you then great!  I wish I was like that.  I told myself that I was stark raving nuts for even thinking about the JH16.  For a long time I tried to be happy with what I had. 

But in the end, I found I was MUCH happier with the upgrade, and that it was worth the (huge) expense.   I enjoy music so much more now, and more often than I used to.  It's been one of the best purchases I have made in terms of  enjoyment/dollars spent. (surprisingly - being a cynic, I was more than half expecting to find out that I had been suckered, and if so, intended to expose all the audio snobs who praise these phones - thankfully I found I was very wrong, and am very happy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back