Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jan 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #9,886 of 11,345
So, I'm comparing some stock t50rp (with shure pads) to my DBV #3 (with additional tweaks) t50rp.. and they are more alike than different, to be honest.

The differences only really stick out when I directly A/B and when I go from mine to stock.. The stock flaws stick out a bit more, but to be honest.. to an untrained ear, the flaws might even sound preferable with a lot of music. I'm listening to some hardcore, and the extra boominess isn't really hurting much. Mine are more accurate, but the stock ones don't sound bad. With more demanding types of music my modded pair pull even further ahead, FWIW.

TL;DR, mods help and are totally worth it.. but, with nothing but a pad swap, the t50rp are still very respectable for the price-point IMO.

BRING ON THE STONES

*edit* I should also mention if mine were DBV #3 modded exactly as the mod calls for.. They would sound even more different. I purposefully tried to keep my treble sounding about stock.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #9,887 of 11,345
Heck, fluffing up the stock pads with cotton/felt/gauze works too. Getting a good seal is important. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #9,888 of 11,345
Quote:
So, I'm comparing some stock t50rp (with shure pads) to my DBV #3 (with additional tweaks) t50rp.. and they are more alike than different, to be honest.

The differences only really stick out when I directly A/B and when I go from mine to stock.. The stock flaws stick out a bit more, but to be honest.. to an untrained ear, the flaws might even sound preferable with a lot of music. I'm listening to some hardcore, and the extra boominess isn't really hurting much. Mine are more accurate, but the stock ones don't sound bad. With more demanding types of music my modded pair pull even further ahead, FWIW.

TL;DR, mods help and are totally worth it.. but, with nothing but a pad swap, the t50rp are still very respectable for the price-point IMO.

BRING ON THE STONES

*edit* I should also mention if mine were DBV #3 modded exactly as the mod calls for.. They would sound even more different. I purposefully tried to keep my treble sounding about stock.

Are your T50RPs fairly new? I remember the older revisions sounded pretty weird. The latest ones sounded better out of the box, I thought.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #9,890 of 11,345
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

You need dis

Thank you!! This is what I was looking for. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I too will be leaving the vents open.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #9,891 of 11,345

BRING ON THE STONES

I've never thought that stock sounded bad. In fact I loved the mids right off the bat. Just felt it was a little too rolled off on either end. I have better extension on both ends now, but I don't hear a huge change either (i did heat big changes with some mods, but not to my liking, so reverted). The headphones are worth it, the modding is worth it, and I'm so glad I discovered these.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #9,892 of 11,345
Quote:
I'm not sure those chasms are artifacts. I got them in my readings (same setup as BMF's) too. I've attributed them to the "pinna notch" (discussed on page 5 of this graduate thesis), the product of destructive interference caused by the outer ear. The exact depth and location of the notch varies in my readings, but it's often there. 

Also, with some mods/certain pads, the effect is audible in log sweeps. YMMV.

I was always in the belief that the "pinna notch" would be considered as measurement artifact for convenience's sake... was I wrong? :S would be nice to know if you guys do actually differentiate these two. Maybe I'll sound less crazy then 
ph34r.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #9,893 of 11,345
Quote:
I was always in the belief that the "pinna notch" would be considered as measurement artifact for convenience's sake... was I wrong? :S would be nice to know if you guys do actually differentiate these two. Maybe I'll sound less crazy then 
ph34r.gif

That's a great point. Am I measuring the sound quality produced by the headphone or the sound my ears actually receive? In my case I think it's the latter. I use my measurement kit to help me understand what I hear ("oh, so that dip at 5 kHz maybe why some female voices sound a bit recessed.") and as a way to compare between mods. I never thought I was making an absolute measurement of headphone sound quality. So even though the pinna notch was produced by my head, not the headphones, I thought it was "real" because I could hear it. (Not that I could do anything about it, aside from plastic surgery.)

The nature of FR curves has been touched on before in this thread and I know I've had further discussions in PMs. But your question really frames the issue nicely. Thanks!

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #9,895 of 11,345
Just registered today to post here my mod details. Been reading this thread forever! Not promising to follow because its HUGE, PM me for questions.
Hope to get vizomat today and do some wet felting in next days and finish up modding. Then i will post more info here.

p.s. Just noticed that if you turn the baffles inside-out you gain some volume to the cups and also can fix the assymetry of left and right speaker by turning one of them by 90 degrees.

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #9,898 of 11,345
So has anyone tried those Russian mods yet? Im very tempted to mess around with the magnets.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #9,900 of 11,345
true, maybe something to try on the t20 instead. Looks like I gotta sell my shure 840s afterall...I need some disposable t20s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back