Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jan 16, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #9,856 of 11,345
So I got tired of messing around and opened them one last time.  Lost the treble reflectors, took all but 1 gram of cotton out, opened the bottom ear cup port all of the way (other 3 taped over) and opened the driver port.  Finally, the bass is balanced with the treble and Holy Crap it hits harder and lower than I thought possible.  My Miracles are going to get a break for quite a while.  Thanks to bluemonkeyflyer and everyone in this thread for the excellent mod tips.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #9,858 of 11,345
Is the jack into the cup considered a common problem? as my connection does not seem to be solid. It crackles occasionally and the right cup seems to go quiet.

Would a mini xlr connection be a better alternative?
Is it possible to get a right angle mini xlr? I've had no luck finding one.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #9,859 of 11,345
vmoda has a good cable for the T50RP, but some good contact spray on the plug will also do the job.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #9,861 of 11,345
Quote:
You can also cut the little nubs off the stock cable, so it doesn't lock. That helps to keep it from developing problems, it seems.

I've been using the stock cable exclusively lately.

Don't see why a rotatable cable would prevent the problem from occurring. It would prevent a full channel loss but will still cut on random intervals (or when being moved past a spot with contact loss).

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #9,862 of 11,345
Quote:
Don't see why a rotatable cable would prevent the problem from occurring. It would prevent a full channel loss but will still cut on random intervals (or when being moved past a spot with contact loss).

When the cable can rotate freely it's less likely to get grimey and develop surface problems. Just a rough hypothesis, all I know is that after some contact cleaner and freeing up the cable to move I've had no problems.

Also, I seal up the holes around the jack with sealant, that's another reason why I even thought of removing the nubs. I couldn't fit the cable in after sealing the holes.. Luckily, they nubs are very easy to cut off.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #9,863 of 11,345
Is the jack into the cup considered a common problem? as my connection does not seem to be solid. It crackles occasionally and the right cup seems to go quiet.

Would a mini xlr connection be a better alternative?
Is it possible to get a right angle mini xlr? I've had no luck finding one.

Right angled mini xlrs don't exist right now. You can add one to the bottom of the cup after removing the existing jack. I went dual entry. Check my galleries if interested in the mod.

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #9,864 of 11,345
Cheers guys, I've only had the headphone for under 2weeks so don't really think its dirty, I've used silicon sealant around the jack but I left the space for the lock to still work.

I am tempted with the Centrance hifi m8 so I might try a similar mod fraggler

How do you detach the metal runners?
Does anyone know where to get spares in the uk or somewhere that delivers here?

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #9,865 of 11,345
Quote:
Cheers guys, I've only had the headphone for under 2weeks so don't really think its dirty, I've used silicon sealant around the jack but I left the space for the lock to still work.

They ship dirty. You need some contact cleaner.. Maybe try some baking soda and water first.

Screws on the inside of the headband.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #9,867 of 11,345
Quote:
I'll try cleaning it, cheers
I meant detaching it from the cups.

Would the rsa type connection also be feasible?

Hmm.  Yes it would.  In fact, it might be the closest thing to a drop in solution (outside of the whole square jack in a round hole bit).  The cable would still stick out a little bit.  Would definitely test the durability of the plugs.  I'd experiment with it if I hadn't already gone dual-entry.  Haven't decided if I am going to mod the second set I got.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #9,868 of 11,345
Quote:

Remove the plastic cover over the central headband screw compartment in the center of the cups. I use an X-acto knife and follow the seam, prize it off. Unscrew with Phillips Head Screwdriver. Careful with the pivot tabs. Each of the 3 components comprising the attachment/pivot mechanism costs $5 to $7.50 each.

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #9,870 of 11,345
Could someone post a picture of how you are supposed to place the cotton in your headphones (as in how much are you supposed to pull it apart) I know it sounds like a newby question, but I have a feeling that for the past year that I have owned these headphones, I have been doing the cotton wrong. I have seen some pictures of people's cotton, but they weren't very clear, or seemed impossible to do with the cotton that I use, so sorry if I have actually missed a good picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back