Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jul 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #8,987 of 11,345
Well, for now you can try this:
mix some baking sode and water into a cup or bowl, take your unplugged stock cable and drop the two connectors inside (don't need to put the whole cable in). Let it wait for a minute, take a brush and brush both connectors, then back into the mix for another minute. Take it out and dry it with a cloth, and try the cables again. Make sure they're dry.

Just tried that (based on http://www.ehow.com/how_2069531_clean-electrical-contacts.html) and it sure did get rid of the grime that was on the contacts without extra cost. Didn't have contact cleaners at home so this sure helps. The oxidated part wasn't very obvious until I took it under the light to look at it more carefully but anyhow... give this a try. Seems to work now, I could have sworn my cables were busted since they were awfully crooked out of the box.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #8,988 of 11,345
Too late!  I put the cable on top of the old solder, then heated up the solder through the cable.  Didn't work extremely well, so I added some new solder on top.  Seems to have a connection, and sounds fine.  So I guess it worked. 

Glad it worked out. I needed to "top up" the solder on a couple of occasions too. When I checked it out, the impedance across the joints on the right and left side measured within 5%.

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #8,990 of 11,345
Quote:

No, that's closed cell foam. I have not tried this particular brand but I have tried other brands of closed cell foam without success. Maybe it will work for you, though.

Acoustipack Lite is 2 mm open cell foam over a 2 mm butyl substrate. Silverstone/Paxmate Plus are 4 mm open cell foam with a self-adhesive substrate.

thanks. i guess i have to order online if ever i will mod another t50rp

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #8,991 of 11,345
Quote:
I just ordered a pair of the t50rp from bhp, they should be here by wed. I'm going to ride them totally stock for a bit before trying any mods. I bought them well simply because they are a planar hp, that doesn't cost a fortune, and I love trying the sound of different driver designs, always wanted a planar. I can't wait until they come in.

I didn't want to believe it, but these really do get better sounding after listening to them for a few hours.  My initial response of them (somewhere in here) had them sounding muddy and very bass heavy.  Now they sound a lot more clear and there is much less bass.   I haven't modded them yet other than a vmoda cable and sometimes 840pads.  

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #8,992 of 11,345
I was thinking about getting a pair of T50s.

Could anyone comment on the portability, though? I listen to music very frequently and don't want to walk around with a full-size headset, but over-ear is a requirement.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #8,995 of 11,345
Quote:
IMO, I'd never use it for portability since headphones of that size seems awkward using in public

My first impressions with these certainly agree with this.  I've had some other large-ish HPs that when I'm not listening to them I could get away with wearing em around my neck for some small portability, but these would not be comfortable doing that whatsoever.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #8,996 of 11,345
IMO, they are fairly portable if you plan on using the V-moda cable. However, whether you do choose to use them portably is whether you can live with the fact that you have goofy looking gold antennas sticking out of your head. Also, keep in mind that even with a headband mod, the internal dampening does make it a bit on the heavy side. I wouldn't use them to commute or anything, but they do make a nice pair of travel headphones. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #8,998 of 11,345
I use my T50RP for commuting. They certainly don't serve too well as portables for these main two reasons:
1. When the need arises to wear it around your neck, both the headband and cups are very wide for you to move your head with leisure.
2. Unless you have it highly damped and with vents mostly sealed, they do not isolate very well.
3. Does not reduce to any smaller profile; takes a lot of desk space (also because of reason #1).

And, reasons why they'd be decent protables:
1. Fairly rugged construction.
2. Detachable cord in case the cables get caught in something.

As stated, I still use them. I might be switching them from portable use with a lesser dynamic 'phone in my collection though, or gutting one for ortho drivers.

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #8,999 of 11,345
I just finished the re-cable on MattTCG's Headphones:

Before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back