Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 23, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #7,801 of 11,345
BMF, could you provide 3-5 samples? Let's say something that demonstrated a good bass/sub-bass, female vocals, cymbals and maybe something with a lot of sound for instrument separation?
I'll list and categorize those and will try to get more samples from from other modders.

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #7,802 of 11,345

Quote:
BMF, could you provide 3-5 samples? Let's say something that demonstrated a good bass/sub-bass, female vocals, cymbals and maybe something with a lot of sound for instrument separation?
I'll list and categorize those and will try to get more samples from from other modders.

No, sorry.  That would be a copyright violation. You can go on their website, though, and listen to samples from many of their recordings which are superbly mastered; I don't know, however, if their samples will sound as good as their recordings.

For soundstage look for a good recording of Donald Fagen's Century's End.

For Bass: Donald Fagen's Morph the Cat (thanks micmacmo - the whole album is great).

For Bass: Patricia Barber's Light My Fire and Ode to Billy Joe

For vocals: all of the above plus Diana Krall's albums > The Look of Love; and Love Scenes...I know, sappy album titles but great jazz tunes with vocals, double bass lines, and cymbals/high hats.

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #7,803 of 11,345
I agree that having their 30 sec samples are not ok to post, but having 30sec samples of other musicians are probably ok to post for reference.
I think I have some Krall's albums. Let me check if I have other albums.

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #7,804 of 11,345
You don't want to use nothing but perfectly recorded and mastered albums, because phones will be able to be very colored and still sound good on them.  Which is why people talk about really bright phones like the GS1000 as being "revealing" of bad recordings.  Really it's just their colorations making the bad recordings worse than they ought to while good recordings are so far from the threshold that it still sounds listenable. 

Good to use some well done recordings as well, but if all you use is perfectly recorded female vocals you're going to wind up with something really colored. 
wink.gif

More important is to use music you are familiar with and have heard on a lot of different gear.  The more gear you've heard a recording on, the easier it is to have a sense of what it should sound like.  Even better is to have some neutral speakers.  Or any speakers.  Comparing your T50rp to speakers will be a much better reference because speakers are more neutral than headphones.  Even those M-audio monitors will be a better reference than most headphones. 

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #7,808 of 11,345
Hey Bachianno, why do you have multiple colors? are those different densities or did you just pick up a thing of modeling clay and decide to use whatever colors it came with? Will you be trying to cure it in place to really add hardness/adhesion or will you leave it like that? Mine looks like it has a bunch of "pokey holes" from trying to jab it into the holes in a flat fashion, how did you get yours so flat and even? The clay in mine is really thick but not as dense as the heavy modeling clay stuff.

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #7,809 of 11,345

Quote:
Hey Bachianno, why do you have multiple colors? are those different densities or did you just pick up a thing of modeling clay and decide to use whatever colors it came with? Will you be trying to cure it in place to really add hardness/adhesion or will you leave it like that? Mine looks like it has a bunch of "pokey holes" from trying to jab it into the holes in a flat fashion, how did you get yours so flat and even? The clay in mine is really thick but not as dense as the heavy modeling clay stuff.

Yeap. All same densities.
Just used whatever colors I liked cause I'm artistic :)

I'm leaving it as is.
Trying to harden it will only introduce other resonant problems.
The softness is great at absorbing a wider range of frequencies. 

I'm stuffing it with a dental tool and then cutting of the excess with an ultra thin palate knife.
Pic below:

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #7,810 of 11,345

Quote:
For the ultimate reference.
Lets not forget going out and listening to real musicians in real spaces.

Shhhhh!!!! That's my reference!

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #7,811 of 11,345

Quote:

For soundstage look for a good recording of Donald Fagen's Century's End.

For Bass: Donald Fagen's Morph the Cat (thanks micmacmo - the whole album is great).

For Bass: Patricia Barber's Light My Fire and Ode to Billy Joe

For vocals: all of the above plus Diana Krall's albums > The Look of Love; and Love Scenes...I know, sappy album titles but great jazz tunes with vocals, double bass lines, and cymbals/high hats.

I could pretty much agree with all of the above.  I haven't heard "Century's End" though.  All the rest is excellent for not only putting the headphones through a great work out.  Also, for male vocals, I'm really getting into some of the remastered Van Morrison tunes.  He has a very wide vocal range in his music.

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #7,813 of 11,345
All you need is one of the following:

Paul Simon - Graceland (original issue)
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Legacy Edition)
Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues (original issue)

All of the above can usually be purchased for under $10.00

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #7,814 of 11,345

Quote:
All you need is one of the following:

Paul Simon - Graceland (original issue)
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Legacy Edition)
Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues (original issue)

All of the above can usually be purchased for under $10.00

Did you forget "Miles Smiles" ? :wink:

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #7,815 of 11,345

Quote:

I could pretty much agree with all of the above.  I haven't heard "Century's End" though.  All the rest is excellent for not only putting the headphones through a great work out.  Also, for male vocals, I'm really getting into some of the remastered Van Morrison tunes.  He has a very wide vocal range in his music.

Century's End has amazing soundstage. Fagen's Snowbound, Trans Island Skyway, Janie Runaway, and Gaslighting Abbey are great tunes for top to bottom testing. I find that all of Fagen's stuff is well mastered.

The Patricia Barber tunes I mentioned because of their emphasis on double bass, not necessarily female vocals but her vocals are to die for.

Krall's recordings offer a complex mixture of double bass and drums to midrange guitar/vocals, and high hats/cymbals and full orchestra with violins so the range is comprehensive, not simply unidimensional female vocals.  

I could have mentioned others like Metallica's Enter The Sandman and Whiskey In A Jar, Radiohead's Jigsaw Falling Into Place and There There, Gorillaz's Dare and Feel Good, Inc, Miles Davis' So What?, and more.

BTW, I agree that Van Morrison offers several good ones, too.

I use B&W 803 speakers controlled by a McIntosh MX-136 pre/pro and powered by a McIntosh MC-402 amp for speaker reference. I use a stock set of T50RP's  and my set of LCD2 v1 powered by a Dacmini for headphone reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back