Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #7,516 of 11,345
You can raise the back of the earpads (stock or 840) to get an improve soundstage. I personally made a 3 mm front / 6 mm back plastic ring made from a soft drink bottle and coverted with Paxmate and insert it under the pads.

I have done another round of modding yesterday and got a much better sound.

Here are some details:
- stock pads (waiting for shure ones)
- bass ports 100% closed with a tape from outside
- moderate amount of plasticine in baffle, small holes around the driver are not filled in
- the back of the cup is lined with dynamax and foam.
- 2 medium cotton balls in each cup, spread as evenly as possible (helped with mids a lot, I was surprised)
- the felt on the ear side is cut (that brought the highs and opened mids obviously)

I think those mods have finally enhanced them to a point where they are mostly better than my AKG K701 and I can't even listen to my AKG 271 anymore.

Comparing to AKG 701s:
I listened to Beethoven 9th and T50RP had waaaay better instrument separation tighter bass and complex music is not flattened and muddied. Same applies to heavy music like metal.
Listened to some of my fav metallica tracks
701s have definitely more air, obviously being open.

So how do I tune them more to have just a bit of wider soundstage and maybe add a more air to it. Even though I understand that is not a characteristic of closed cans generally.
Probably Shure pads would help?

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #7,517 of 11,345
Like you said it I believe that the stock T50rp have recess Hi & Lo and by using the Shure 840 it just bring them back forward to a more balanced FR.

Shure pads help, though the whole sound signature will change too. Going from stock pads to Shure pads will give you a overall V shaped change. That is, more bass and treble and less mids. If you take off the dust cover on the Shure pads... I don't know. Might help the mids?

Forget to once again mention the apparent loss in mids is due to the stock pads being VERY mid forward. Should better be said that the stock pads are reversed V and Shure pads brings it back more normal.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #7,518 of 11,345

Quote:
Like you said it I believe that the stock T50rp have recess Hi & Lo and by using the Shure 840 it just bring them back forward to a more balanced FR.

My Shure pads should be here today. I'll try to compare and see if they help.

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #7,519 of 11,345
The sound will also change a bit when the pads get broken in, since the seal improves a bit more.  I would be careful with just adding lifters behind the pads.  It does more than add some soundstage.  It decreases bass and increases treble.  Do it if you need to decrease bass and increase treble.  If not, don't do it and just wait for the pads to break in.  You'll know when they do.

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #7,520 of 11,345

Just wanted to let you guys know that try as I might, I haven't managed to get the Ortho contest article finished today, and have somewhere to be tonight. It's almost done though, so it should be up around noon mountain time tomorrow.

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #7,522 of 11,345
Bought a little dot MK II to hopefully give me some more power for the HE-300s/T50RPs, been getting quite a bit of sibilance on the T50RPs off my FiiO at high gain.
Was originally saving for a pair of LCD-2s, but getting them into the UK is proving to be a pain, maybe when I get a job and can afford to buy new!

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #7,523 of 11,345
I've found the closer your ear is to the driver, the more prominent mids become.

Quote:
Does the switch from cotton to poly fill, make much of a difference. Plus, does anyone know how to bring out the mids other than an eq?

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #7,525 of 11,345
Finally reopened these guys! Though the changes I've done are short from what I originally intended to do. Remembered the rule of one modification at a time.

So I cannibalized an old flattened pillow (70% polyester 30% cotton... pretty sure at this point all I got was polyester) and essentially replaced the cotton balls inside the cup. Huge improvement...! And this time the sound is better suited for the 840 pads too, so I am happy about that. Though my current setup has overall slightly less bass, with a small mound around 1kHz.

Though because I decided to put different weights inside each cup, the FR response on the two headphones are different. Quite different.
L cup has a trough at 6kHz and R cup at 7.5kHz (or the opposite).
L cup has peaks at 14.5kHz and 18.5kHz while R cup has at 13.5kHz and 15kHz.

I know L/R do not measure the same, nor are they often made to measure the same. Just wondering if the difference is not too steep.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #7,526 of 11,345
Is there a way to make the T50RPs open without completely ruining the sound? I take it by every modification making it closed along with thunderpants/maplepants being closed that closed is the way to go, it's strange considering every other up-to-date planar magnetic is open.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #7,528 of 11,345
Quote:
stratocaster: Did you get those HM5 pads on the stock cups without modification?

No modification was necessary. It is a little trickier than with the 840s, but I managed it without damaging them. Which I did with one of the 840s though, when I stretched the pad too much trying to put it on the cups. 

Thanks for the info! -- I just ordered a pair. If I can get them on without tearing, will they loosen up for easier re-installation after some T50 modding or should I have my mother snip the "bead", reinforce the cut with stitching, and possibly use a bra clasp for quick access? :)

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #7,530 of 11,345

Quote:
Thanks for the info! -- I just ordered a pair. If I can get them on without tearing, will they loosen up for easier re-installation after some T50 modding or should I have my mother snip the "bead", reinforce the cut with stitching, and possibly use a bra clasp for quick access?
smily_headphones1.gif

Flip the lip inside out so it sits along the outside edge of the pad.  Then just place the pad against the baffle and unflip the lip around the cup.  Should be pretty easy, and if not, well, you'll get really good at it really quick
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back