Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #6,226 of 11,345

Quote:
Quote:

Because when I want to close them up, a quarter isn't enough. When I want to have them open, that closed quarter still doesn't sound like I want it to!

Sounds like you need 2 pairs of T50RPII's! 
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #6,227 of 11,345

Quote:
TierAngst ,
A month or two ago, I've seen a poll on some forum, maybe even here, regarding HF hearing. A lot of people had really good hearing, 17-18k at over 40 years, IIRC.

I have had some infection in outer ears that had somewhat degraded my hearing. Hoverer, if I'm in shower, there's water in my ears, I vigorousmy mess about in my ear with a little finger and try to yawn hard at once, sometimes something pops and HF hearing skyrockets. Sound of falling water becames crystallic instead of somewhat dull. Sadly, it doesn't last for long, maybe a couple of hours, and hard to replicate. Have to visit a doctor, maybe I could make that permanent. Maybe you too noticed something like that?

Earwax.  
devil_face.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 7, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #6,228 of 11,345

Quote:
Quote:

Because when I want to close them up, a quarter isn't enough. When I want to have them open, that closed quarter still doesn't sound like I want it to!

The vent has a big effect from the low bass through about 400Hz.  Generally, in my tests the more open the vent is the bigger the rise in that range, and for some configurations the less deep bass you get (at least relatively).  For some music without bottom octave content maybe this sounds warmer or more engaging to you?  Just a theory.

Either that or your ears are bipolar.  Switch them to MOSFET, it's more mellifluous...  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 7, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #6,229 of 11,345

Quote:

I'm starting to wonder what mods made these headphones tiring... Used to be so relaxing stock! Then again I wasn't displeased with the stock sound but wanted a bit more body to it. Maybe plasticine since that's pretty much all I put in it (otherwise it's paxmate). Funny that it only affects my left ear as well. Must be something to do with the FR distribution of the left driver.

I don't think we are on the same page. I don't mean that the sound signature is fatiguing. There is something fatiguing to me but it is not something that is inaudible. I said my left ear is fatiguing because the headphone is playing TWO FEET AWAY FROM ME at my left and I still find it fatiguing without even wearing it. And obviously I can't be listening at too loud because the headphone is not even on my head. I suspect my system is generating sound pressure that is above my audible frequency range that isn't suppose to be there.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #6,230 of 11,345
Quote:
Not sure what's going on. Some days I prefer having my bottom vents closed about 50% (other 3 vents on each side are always closed). Some days I prefer having the bottom vents completely open.

The days when I want them more closed, it's because they sound woolly/muffled. Or, perhaps it sounds like unnecessary resonance? I'm not sure. Closing the vents cleans up the sound, makes them more detailed. Sounds great, and I don't notice the problems mentioned below!

The days I want the vents opened, it's because they sound too bright with the bottom vents partially closed! Opening them up brings a bit of lushness and life back into the sound, not to mention a bit of bass. Also sounds great, and I don't notice the problems mentioned above!

Is there some logical explanation as to why my ears/brain are apparently bipolar?

Are you just using electrical tape on the outside of the phones to cover the vents?

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #6,231 of 11,345
Taped on the Beyer gel pads (easy! should have done that right from the start), put cotton under them, filled wrinkles on sides with plasticine to minimise leakage..

Maybe I've expected more detail and highs, but with my bad source and files themselves it's not likely to happen. But the bass, oh my, the bass!! There are things I have never even suspected to exist at all!

Not without downsides. Left side seems to produce better highs and there is generally some shift of sound towards left. Maybe that's the jack, maybe this is just due to cables and their resistances, maybe I've messed something up, and that is the most problematic part. My guesses are bad bass port taping, problems with bass lenses and something with baffle vents, but that is unlikely. Maybe it's music, even, but swapping left-right shows some difference. It's late and I have to go to sleep, so I won't investigate right now.

Anyways, these are already really, really great. Thanks to every modder out there for your priceless information!

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #6,232 of 11,345
Quote:
Are you just using electrical tape on the outside of the phones to cover the vents?

3 vents on each side are closed internally with Silverstone acoustic foam. I use duct tape on the outside for tuning the bottom vent.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #6,233 of 11,345
Quote:

3 vents on each side are closed internally with Silverstone acoustic foam. I use duct tape on the outside for tuning the bottom vent.

Try some tack on the outside instead of tape, it may do a better job and it's still easy to remove and adjust.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #6,234 of 11,345
Does anyone have any extra fatmat/dynamat, enough for covering the inside of the backs of the cups, I could buy from them? I'd like to play around with it a little, but I'd rather not have to buy 10 sq. ft. of it. I could pay for the shipping/postage if you want, too.

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #6,235 of 11,345

Quote:
Does anyone have any extra fatmat/dynamat, enough for covering the backs of the cups? I'd like to play around with it a little, but I'd rather not have to buy 10 sq. ft. of it. I could pay for the shipping/postage if you want.

Do you have any local automotive sound shops near you?  If so, you could head over to them and ask if you can buy 1/2 square foot or so of Dynamat from their "bulk" rolls.  I've done this in the past and I've found it wasn't too expensive.  In fact, they gave me about 2 s.f. in about 4 pieces for $15.00.  Over the period of a year and a half, I've used it up through my own projects as well as sending some pieces to other members here who needed a bit here and there.

Then again, I could just ask you if you own a more modern Buick?  If so, the trunk area behind the carpet and the insides of the lower door panels are lined with Dynamat - like material by default to keep the road noise to a minimum.  If you don't have a Buick, maybe your parents or grandparents do ... so head on over and "borrow"  some. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #6,236 of 11,345

Quote:
Do you have any local automotive sound shops near you?  If so, you could head over to them and ask if you can buy 1/2 square foot or so of Dynamat from their "bulk" rolls.  I've done this in the past and I've found it wasn't too expensive.  In fact, they gave me about 2 s.f. in about 4 pieces for $15.00.  Over the period of a year and a half, I've used it up through my own projects as well as sending some pieces to other members here who needed a bit here and there.

Then again, I could just ask you if you own a more modern Buick?  If so, the trunk area behind the carpet and the insides of the lower door panels are lined with Dynamat - like material by default to keep the road noise to a minimum.  If you don't have a Buick, maybe your parents or grandparents do ... so head on over and "borrow"  some. 
biggrin.gif

Hmm, I checked and there really aren't any close (within walking/public transportation since I don't have a car).

No Buick either. Maybe I can go to the Target nearby, and convince a Buick owner I make friends with to let me poke around in their side-paneling. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #6,237 of 11,345

Quote:

Hmm, I checked and there really aren't any close (within walking/public transportation since I don't have a car).

No Buick either. Maybe I can go to the Target nearby, and convince a Buick owner I make friends with to let me poke around in their side-paneling. 
tongue_smile.gif

I believe I've seen it for sale at Best Buy in tiny packages...

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #6,238 of 11,345
If you're still having a bit of trouble putting on the Shure 840 pads, think duct tape. Use three pieces of tape and fasten the pad on three sides (top, bottom and one side) and then slowly work the other side until you've got it. Remove the tape. Another duct tape miracle!

-Chris

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #6,240 of 11,345
Hi everyone, I'm sure you get this a lot, but I'm looking to buy a pair of these bad boys and honestly once I get them I don't even know where to start. It's a little overwhelming starting the research process for these since there are 416 pages of posts scattered with tutorials, notes, etc. I managed to find the 'wiki' for all of the mods, but it's just like looking at a long list of random things haha. Basically I want to know where to start for doing a relatively easy and cheap mod that is well accepted by the community. I don't know what everyone considers top of the line of the 30+ mentioned mods in the wiki, what pads to choose, etc. I'm just looking for the best available mods for cheap & relatively simple. Also is there any sort of kit I can buy that has all of the materials for a particular mod, and if not, where do I purchase all of these things? Thanks a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back