Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jan 26, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #5,956 of 11,345
Thanks for the details. I haven't opened my AD700s up yet - only modded the earside to circumaural and changed the headband a little. I can't see how you could go wrong with the Response. This is something I'll have to try when I have time. That huge 53 mm driver really is nice.

Quote:

AD700 mods: Idea's taken form previous T50RP experience
devil_face.gif

Remove black foam behind the grill (makes them even more airy, but also more sound leakage)

Put Response (Dynamat/Paxmate combined) over every part of the cheap plastic except for the insides of the drivers, also earside, removing the white paper with holes in it. I put response on everything, she weighs a wee bit more now
basshead.gif
, but bass response is tight and plenty she is me matey.
biggrin.gif

The only holes visible are the holes for the drivers themselves, those you do not cover, the rest needs to be dampened and add some wieght. Also put some response on the back of the driver, but allowing a hole in the centre for the driver to breathe.

One last mod, the pads have a heap of cotton wool in them to raise them out, allows your ears to fit in there, and now there circumaural, soooo much more comfy. They sound better this way aswell.

I am starting to believe, more than %50 of the sound is in the driver housing, these sound better than the T50RP's, at least on the Realiser.

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #5,958 of 11,345

Quote:
NSFW warning is lame. If your just cruzing head-fi at work you are of no use to society other than contributing your share of the consumer dollar to spin the world round. Boom, there i said it sorry. I mean maybe on your breaks but otherwise, it doesn't make sense. 

my apologies for the slight de-rail. T50's RULE! 

-M

Didn't you also see the use of my emoticons after my statement?  Humor, my friend.  We all need to laugh a bit ... and, to have some fun.  
smily_headphones1.gif

I also use my O2 amp and modified T50RP headphones at work.  When I'm doing some hard core work, the O2 / T50RP, give me a better productivity rate.  Probably, even better than a little bottle of "5 Hour Energy."

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #5,959 of 11,345
Guess I'm a leech on society, because I peruse HF quite often at work...  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #5,960 of 11,345
Hey guys,
I am the one selling the Cedarpants, soon to be renamed Maplepants on eBay for $200 now.  I asked Smeggy if I could sell them and he said he doesn't care at all as long as I don't call them Thunderpants.  I haven't heard a set of the Thunderpants, but my version has to be very close.  I'd like to audition a set of the real Thunderpants so I can see what is so different about them, but that is in the future.  I sold a bunch of these already and almost everyone has been happy with them.  A lot of people changed their minds though after they paid for them, and I think I know the reasoning behind that now thanks to this thread.  I didn't know there was beef out on them because of Smeggy's version.  I have to say though, after modding and stuff for over a year now, there isn't one set of headphones that even comes close to the bass quality and quantity on these things as well as the mids.  They certainly could do better in the soundstage and highs areas, but for the price I am offering them at, I'd say they are at least worth double that value.  I would sell them for more, but I know how tight money can be and my products aren't "High" quality like Smeggy's.  I personally think they are very nice though for the price I am asking.  I would sell them on here, but it seems that I am not allowed due to my Merchant status.  I don't want to get in any sort of trouble for this post either, but I just thought I'd shed some light on things for you guys.

1.  Smeggy is fine with it, he doesn't care as long as I don't call them Thunderpants
2.  I would make wooden baffles or even plastic if I had the resources, but I thought foam board works well enough and it's easy to put the driver into
3.  They aren't as high quality as Thunderpants, since that's the only headphone Smeggy mods I think
4.  I have been modding over a year and I absolutely crave the bass on these things now.  If you ever heard 2 x Solobaric 15" subwoofers in a car audio system, it's very similar but with much better impact and detail and clarity
5.  Ask anyone who I have been modding for and they will say I do excellent work for very cheap.  I would raise my prices, but I don't feel I am a professional like Smeggy just yet.  I just got into modding amps and built a few Objective 2 amps and I really am enjoying that.
6.  Please PM me with any questions you have on my Cedarpants (soon Maplepants) instead of dissing them here in this thread.  It's a shame people say things about me and my products without even knowing anything.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #5,961 of 11,345
Damn dude, if I had seen that listing before I ordered my T50RPs, to build my own (Zebrapants because I'm using Zebrawood), I would have just bought yours instead... :D

Those are lovely BTW, and one heck of a deal too!

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #5,962 of 11,345
Quote:
Hey guys,
I am the one selling the Cedarpants, soon to be renamed Maplepants on eBay for $200 now.  I asked Smeggy if I could sell them and he said he doesn't care at all as long as I don't call them Thunderpants.  I haven't heard a set of the Thunderpants, but my version has to be very close.  I'd like to audition a set of the real Thunderpants so I can see what is so different about them, but that is in the future.  I sold a bunch of these already and almost everyone has been happy with them.  A lot of people changed their minds though after they paid for them, and I think I know the reasoning behind that now thanks to this thread.  I didn't know there was beef out on them because of Smeggy's version.  I have to say though, after modding and stuff for over a year now, there isn't one set of headphones that even comes close to the bass quality and quantity on these things as well as the mids.  They certainly could do better in the soundstage and highs areas, but for the price I am offering them at, I'd say they are at least worth double that value.  I would sell them for more, but I know how tight money can be and my products aren't "High" quality like Smeggy's.  I personally think they are very nice though for the price I am asking.  I would sell them on here, but it seems that I am not allowed due to my Merchant status.  I don't want to get in any sort of trouble for this post either, but I just thought I'd shed some light on things for you guys.

1.  Smeggy is fine with it, he doesn't care as long as I don't call them Thunderpants
2.  I would make wooden baffles or even plastic if I had the resources, but I thought foam board works well enough and it's easy to put the driver into
3.  They aren't as high quality as Thunderpants, since that's the only headphone Smeggy mods I think
4.  I have been modding over a year and I absolutely crave the bass on these things now.  If you ever heard 2 x Solobaric 15" subwoofers in a car audio system, it's very similar but with much better impact and detail and clarity
5.  Ask anyone who I have been modding for and they will say I do excellent work for very cheap.  I would raise my prices, but I don't feel I am a professional like Smeggy just yet.  I just got into modding amps and built a few Objective 2 amps and I really am enjoying that.
6.  Please PM me with any questions you have on my Cedarpants (soon Maplepants) instead of dissing them here in this thread.  It's a shame people say things about me and my products without even knowing anything.

Glad to see you chiming in here! Hopefully this will settle the issue for those that had worries. As I've said before, I can vouch for your services and prices. Keep up the good work!

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #5,963 of 11,345

Quote:
Hey guys,
I am the one selling the Cedarpants, soon to be renamed Maplepants on eBay for $200 now.............  

I for one welcome your entry into the modded headphone market.  One thing about Head-Fi I've learned to tolerate is you are going to hear all kinds of spouting off about stuff that stated as a fact by the poster.  

My conclusion is about 1/2 the information on this forum is inaccurate......figuring out which 1/2 is the challenge.  
popcorn.gif

If there is one thing to be learned about selling modded headphones, it is keep your client base informed on production and shipment status.  Silence leads to discontent, and rightfully so.

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #5,965 of 11,345
I had no idea there was beef out on my version.  But after the one guy I sold a modded T50RP to said he backed me up on this thread I had to check it out.  I linked it back to the original instigator calling out my phones as cheap and Smeggy would be insulted.  Smeggy honestly told me he doesn't care.  I bet he figures he will still be getting so many orders on his for like 3x my price that he wouldn't worry about me selling a few cheaper sets for people who want to hear "almost" what they sound like for a very small fraction of his price.  I am sure the Thunderpants do sound better than my version, but 3x better I would have to argue with until I actually hear a set.  Now that people are actually interested in my sets, and hopefully more will once they read what I tried to clear up about them, I think I want to actually audition a Thunderpants.  Anyways, I don't want to start any fights in this thread or anywhere.

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #5,966 of 11,345
You said it better than I ever could.  Most of the stuff posted here is just opinion and people take it with more than a grain of salt than they should.  They take it with a lbs. of salt when they should a pinch.  Anyways, I have been modding my own and re-cabling and modding other people's headphones for over a year now.  I have been pretty good with my customers as well.  There is only like a few people who weren't happy with their purchase, and people like that just can't be pleased I've learned.  I tend to figure out who is like that and who isn't just by messaging them now.  So, yes I do keep them updated about the status all the time as well as try to get the stuff out as soon as I can.  Either way sometimes parts don't come in on time or something arises.  But 95% of the time everything is fantastic.  I think that is all I want to say at this point.  It's hard being a member of the trade and limiting speech that won't get me in trouble.  I never know what to say and what not to say.

Quote:
I for one welcome your entry into the modded headphone market.  One thing about Head-Fi I've learned to tolerate is you are going to hear all kinds of spouting off about stuff that stated as a fact by the poster.  

My conclusion is about 1/2 the information on this forum is inaccurate......figuring out which 1/2 is the challenge.  
popcorn.gif

If there is one thing to be learned about selling modded headphones, it is keep your client base informed on production and shipment status.  Silence leads to discontent, and rightfully so.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #5,968 of 11,345
Looks like a good find. You should order a set and try them out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back