Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jan 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #5,791 of 11,345
i'm not referring to regular epoxy, but the uncommon, electrically conductive type for electronics. very small bottles of this cost ~$50 ... the hi-end stuff costs > $80+.  from this perspective alone, it's less hassle to buy new phones & keep your t50 for spare parts.

current t20rp mkII purchased from bhphotovideo have been confirmed to have drivers with the same id # as the current t50rp - visually the drivers look the same; the current t20rp housing looks almost identical too .... see posts # 5724 ff, but that's no guarantee that they are exactly the same.

hth,

Quote:
are the t20 the same drivers?  I got epoxy but I think I pretty much destroyed the driver.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #5,792 of 11,345
I've had these headphones for just about a month now and I thought I'd post some impressions. My backround in hifi audio was until recently limited to 2 channel rigs with an emphasis on frugality. The reality of being a poor student, then father of two young boys has severely limited my "hobby budget". Far from being sad, it has actually forced me to look for good deals, supposed "giant killers" in some cases, with a clear bias towards vintage gear. I'm thouroughly pleased with my current setup which hasn't changed in a few years: Scott 299b el84m integrated amp, heavily modified Lenco L75, Oppo dvd/cd player and Klipsch Forté I speakers. I also own a pair of Klipsch Lascalas that are patiently waiting for a dedicated listening room.

I gave that background to illustrate my taste in music reproduction: low distortion, mostly mid-centric with great seperation and, most importantly, a great dynamic range. Notice I didn't mention imaging. I don't doubt that my system could, properly placed in an adequate room, image amazingly. My current room accoustics just don't permit it. It's no big deal, the dynamic range more than trumps any "vivid 3d holographic" image, in my opinion.

Imagine my enthusiasm when I listened to these heaphones after some light mods. They notch all of the desired aformentioned qualities and deliver consistent results night after night. This is, sadly, not the case with 2 channel rigs which often compete with outside noise (I don't remember hearing crying babies and loud fridges in this track?!). I feel that the sound signature is in the same family as the Klipsch heritage speakers, designed by Mr.Klipsch who, reportedly, placed the midrange above all else. "The music is in the midrange" as he was quoted to say.

In many ways, I'd compare the T50s to the Lascalas: low distortion, superior dynamic range and seperation. I'd add that the T50s have an even better timbral accuracy, to my ears at least, probably due to the all horn nature of the Lascalas which can slightly alter the timbre. Every instrument sounds so unique with these, it's astounding. The same things which may drive someone away from the Lascalas might also turn someone off of the T50s (with my mods at least): slightly rolled off extremes, especially in the sub bass, a somewhat forward presentation or what some might hear as a shouty midrange. All in all, there are far more things going for these phones than against. They are keepers and have brought much joy in rediscovering old music.

I apologize if this post doesn't add to the DIY mod discussion, I just felt like posting my favourable impressions on my audio buy of the year, or maybe ever.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #5,793 of 11,345
I have a similar impression of my T20 v.2....after some light mods, though the mids don't seem at all forward on them compared to the powerful bass. Can you detail what modding you did with the T50 and how did they improve over the originals?

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #5,794 of 11,345
^ :) congrats. Orthos are wonderful midrange machines! The t50rp is an awesome buy no matter how you slice it. 

-M

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #5,795 of 11,345
I too use them with some vintage gear: some marantz, sansui and pioneer.  Doesn't take much to make them sound fabulous.  But when these T50RP are hooked up the tube amps, that's when they really shine.  The woo audio 6 just brings out the midrange magic and detail in these headphones, not just that...but it brings holographic soundstaging that just makes my jaw drop once in awhile.  I don't experience this as much as with my vintage receivers, but something about orthodynmic drivers and tubes is magical (at least in my case).

Quote:
I've had these headphones for just about a month now and I thought I'd post some impressions. My backround in hifi audio was until recently limited to 2 channel rigs with an emphasis on frugality. The reality of being a poor student, then father of two young boys has severely limited my "hobby budget". Far from being sad, it has actually forced me to look for good deals, supposed "giant killers" in some cases, with a clear bias towards vintage gear. I'm thouroughly pleased with my current setup which hasn't changed in a few years: Scott 299b el84m integrated amp, heavily modified Lenco L75, Oppo dvd/cd player and Klipsch Forté I speakers. I also own a pair of Klipsch Lascalas that are patiently waiting for a dedicated listening room.

I gave that background to illustrate my taste in music reproduction: low distortion, mostly mid-centric with great seperation and, most importantly, a great dynamic range. Notice I didn't mention imaging. I don't doubt that my system could, properly placed in an adequate room, image amazingly. My current room accoustics just don't permit it. It's no big deal, the dynamic range more than trumps any "vivid 3d holographic" image, in my opinion.

Imagine my enthusiasm when I listened to these heaphones after some light mods. They notch all of the desired aformentioned qualities and deliver consistent results night after night. This is, sadly, not the case with 2 channel rigs which often compete with outside noise (I don't remember hearing crying babies and loud fridges in this track?!). I feel that the sound signature is in the same family as the Klipsch heritage speakers, designed by Mr.Klipsch who, reportedly, placed the midrange above all else. "The music is in the midrange" as he was quoted to say.

In many ways, I'd compare the T50s to the Lascalas: low distortion, superior dynamic range and seperation. I'd add that the T50s have an even better timbral accuracy, to my ears at least, probably due to the all horn nature of the Lascalas which can slightly alter the timbre. Every instrument sounds so unique with these, it's astounding. The same things which may drive someone away from the Lascalas might also turn someone off of the T50s (with my mods at least): slightly rolled off extremes, especially in the sub bass, a somewhat forward presentation or what some might hear as a shouty midrange. All in all, there are far more things going for these phones than against. They are keepers and have brought much joy in rediscovering old music.

I apologize if this post doesn't add to the DIY mod discussion, I just felt like posting my favourable impressions on my audio buy of the year, or maybe ever.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #5,796 of 11,345
Agree with all of the above, I have some vintage kit and a very good home set-up, however when I have the T50s hooked up to my imod and Stepdance I still get goosebumps and smile to myself at the quality the T50s bring to the table.
The vocals and mid-range are just astounding, heck they match the mids on my Flac 8s, also they scale as well as anything currently in production. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #5,798 of 11,345
After many and many trail & error this week while I was caching up on this thread (And the insane monster HD700 thread) someone comment about reducing the raiser on the pad to get better bass. From the beginning of my mod journey with the T50rp I was using a plastic ring covered with Paxmate under my SRH-840 pads. The ring was about 6 mm in the front and 12 mm in the back to create that desired angle driver. I was able to get pretty good High, the Mid's were pretty good,the soundstage, imaging & instruments separation very good too but I could never get the Bass to my liking. If I close the Bass port the bass get well control and tight but didn't have enough impact and layer (decay). Was just too dry. If I opened the port it was all over the place, muddy and again not detail.

I removed the plastic ring now and just added a small roll of cotton pad and let me tell you it is just amazing how it changed the dynamic of the sound. Obviously the space in front of the driver is as much important as the back of it. The soundtage is a little bit narrower but all the other variables are just perfect for me.

I have listened to my Porcupine Tree Collection all night last night and could not believed how good the bass improved. It got impact, control, layer, nice decay and all that without altering the other qualities of this amazing headphone.

I have to say that while I was reading all the praise on this headphone at the beginning I was telling myself it's only another victim of the Head-Fi fanboying effect but I have to say that I took the risk knowing it was cheap enough and that I like DIY. It keeps me focus and it's rewarding when you get a good result but this is the best money I spent in this hobby no question.

Sorry for the long story but I had to share my joy 
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #5,800 of 11,345
On my setup now I have nothing on the outside cup. No more electrical tape require. I have the original black felt on the inside and it's covered with a layer of Paxmate. I have made two hole using a paper punch over the port sluts. I started with one but two is just perfect for me now. I also have a square cotton pad that was floffied (not a word I know but I'm sure you are getting it) loose behind the driver.

Now that my T50rp are done my focus will be on building my two O2 in the following week and see / ear the synergy that people rave about. Currently I used them with a DACmini and I have to raise the volume to about 1 o'clock. It's more then my HD-650 needs.

Quote:
What's the best way to close the air (bass) port?  Is it just electrical tape with plasticine over it?

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #5,801 of 11,345
I'm back after my 1 month hiatus.  I had to read through 230 more posts, which I mostly skimmed.  Nothing else groundbreaking since I left eh?

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #5,802 of 11,345
Quote:
After many and many trail & error this week while I was caching up on this thread (And the insane monster HD700 thread) someone comment about reducing the raiser on the pad to get better bass. From the beginning of my mod journey with the T50rp I was using a plastic ring covered with Paxmate under my SRH-840 pads. The ring was about 6 mm in the front and 12 mm in the back to create that desired angle driver. I was able to get pretty good High, the Mid's were pretty good,the soundstage, imaging & instruments separation very good too but I could never get the Bass to my liking. If I close the Bass port the bass get well control and tight but didn't have enough impact and layer (decay). Was just too dry. If I opened the port it was all over the place, muddy and again not detail.

I removed the plastic ring now and just added a small roll of cotton pad and let me tell you it is just amazing how it changed the dynamic of the sound. Obviously the space in front of the driver is as much important as the back of it. The soundtage is a little bit narrower but all the other variables are just perfect for me.

I have listened to my Porcupine Tree Collection all night last night and could not believed how good the bass improved. It got impact, control, layer, nice decay and all that without altering the other qualities of this amazing headphone.

I have to say that while I was reading all the praise on this headphone at the beginning I was telling myself it's only another victim of the Head-Fi fanboying effect but I have to say that I took the risk knowing it was cheap enough and that I like DIY. It keeps me focus and it's rewarding when you get a good result but this is the best money I spent in this hobby no question.

Sorry for the long story but I had to share my joy 
biggrin.gif

LFF was the one that suggested I not stuff my pads a while back, and I do agree that it sounds better with little to no stuffing in the pads. Glad you're liking it!

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #5,803 of 11,345
I just did the suspension headband mod using my stock Panasonic HTF600 pads instead of a piece of paper. I'm pretty pleased with the results. I did put the hairties over the outside, rather than pushing it through the middle to reduce the overall tension. This made it significantly more comfortable.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #5,805 of 11,345
Hello everyone,

Long time no post, but I've been enjoying music through these headphones immensely. It has also been a great audio-learning experience in general, a journey like all others where goals must be made and pursued. I have decided to go on the route of natural and neutral with this 'phone.

I've been reading this growing thread throughout the passing months and I'm taken aback with the branching out that has occurred here.
The general consensus founded when I participated, as in keeping costs low and keeping it simple and reversible, still rings true in even the most successful of variations, I see.

A few things, however.

I understand that the FA-003 pads are becoming more popular due to their great seal. I am interested in giving them a try. How do you acquire said pads, and how do you put them on without ripping them? I am aware of the 'sewing stretchable socks' technique, but I've seen others manage to attach the ear pads with no tears (pun maybe intended).

Also, concerning felt before the drivers (in the perspective of your ear). I understand that 2mm stiff craft felt is the way to go to increase deep bass impact, which my pair seems to lack. Would a trip to Michaels suffice in finding said felt? Has anyone tried this mod with felt purchased at Michaels? Again, I am not talking about felt that will replace the white paper on the driver, but the felt that your ears will come into contact with while wearing narrow ear pads.

I would like to thank all of you actively involved in experimenting and tinkering with these headphones. Without your shared knowledge, these phones might have not made the cut (at least for me!, and I'm sure many others) and thus would remain a secret for only a few select individuals. I'm happy I can share my passion for audio to my friends, family, and colleagues now that I have pimped headphones, as well as new knowledge for audio and a constant ambition for innovation in it. All because of modifying a headphone.

Thanks Head-Fi,
Mangoloid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back