Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Nov 20, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #4,936 of 11,345

Hey BMF, I'm on my second prototype now. I have contacted the pro of measurement (Tyll) and he gave me some good hint and tips.  Here a link to one of his prototype http://www.headphone.com/rightbetweenyourears/?p=451 (see page 3) . I have bought the apps on the apps store for my iPad and have build a support the microphone ( using the USB mic that came with RockBand ). So far I'm getting weird reading from below 80 Hz. I have to contact Studio Six for ad answer. I'll post picture sometime this week if I got a successfull reading. One thing is sure it's much faster with that setup to get a FR of the headphone.
Quote:
wdahm519,

Nice!

Would you describe your current configuration?  Any pix?

What is the link for the freq. generator you used?  I've been using the one Twinster posted...

Twinster: I have not yet made my "dummy box."

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #4,937 of 11,345

Quote:
wdahm519,

Nice!

Would you describe your current configuration?  Any pix?

What is the link for the freq. generator you used?  I've been using the one Twinster posted...

Twinster: I have not yet made my "dummy box."

Quote:

Gratz man! Getting them flat or getting extended bass isn't too hard, but getting both is something else. Curious to see what you did.

Here's my current set up, no different than what it has been recently:

- SilverStone Acoustic Foam in the back plane of the cup, not along the side walls of the cup or around the edges, also the center post has no foam on it either
- Stock bass port felt, leave it alone and fully open (the details in sound really come in when its fully open I noticed quite obviously)
- Driver felt removed and replaced with one layer of 3M Transpore tape, and another layer on top of that only covering the center three rectangles (a strip covering three rectangles)
- Slightly less than 1/2 of one "triple sized" cotton ball ("Triple Sized" from Kroger brand), extremely teased out and thin, placed gently in back of driver and not covering the bass port
- Plasticine mass loading the baffles all around, including an angled wall built between the baffle and the plastic surrounding the driver.  Plasticine also in the holes on the plastic surrounding the baffle
- Plasticine also along the outer seal of the cup for... seal.
- FatMat (can use Dynamat) on the ear side of the baffle after scraping off felt and sanding down baffle
- Unreflective very very thin felt covering the reflective side of the FatMat
- Shure 840 Pads with a half a cotton ball hot dog rolled up on the rear underneath the pads

I'd rather not open these up anymore because I really like the sound I've got and don't want to jeopardize it at all, so there won't be any pictures unfortunately.  I may pick up a second pair somewhere along the road if some new breakthrough's get made so I can keep modding, however for now these are completely 100% done.  

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #4,938 of 11,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Perhaps the secret sauce in the paradox mod isnt on the inside of the cup at all, but on the earside...thus the paradox.

Quote:

I do believe he uses FA-003 pads in some way, correct? 

Either way, I'd bet that his secret sauce is sorcery, heavy usage of the imagination, and wishful thinking.

I think alchemy is probably more accurate since the paradox mod measured as well as it did. So I doubt wishful thinking has much to do with it, and he does use the F003 pads, as well as a sock, and the secret sauce of course.

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #4,941 of 11,345
Do any of you guys know if the Carpenters used superior recording equipment when they were producing music in the 70's and early 80's?  It sounds so much clearer than almost anything from that era.  (Yes everything I have is at least 16bit FLAC or better, all quality recordings)

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #4,942 of 11,345

Quote:
stupid effing things are sold out again

Lol, it's a good sign. of this.

Quote:
Actually, I heard lcd-2 / T50rp yesterday.. It was rev1. I found the T50rp more coherent. On the whole, I liked it better, however, my position is ambivalence to to the lcd-2. To expensive, (way) soundstage is too small, and it is dark. Like really dark. I found rev 1 to be darker than hd 650... highs in certain songs were not even there, let alone recessed. HD 650 my old 'warm' benchmark.

I liked the rev 2 much more, however, the rev 1 is still an enjoyable listen. And unlike the rev 2, It will become a classic phone in the future.

T-50rp. Honestly believe it's the best ortho out there right now. And the price and modability really makes it a no-brainer. It is the beginning of the headphone 1k+ bubble about to pop. 1K + headphones are unnecessary and will not be sustained on the current scale they are at much longer.

Edit: I've heard three lcd-2's and neither of the others sounded like this one. Purrin is right in that the lcd-2 quality control is bad. The rev 2 I heard was glorious, but of the two rev 1's I heard, neither of them sounded similar... One was much darker (In this case, highly recessed midrange. guessing about 1.8k+)

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #4,943 of 11,345

Quote:
So guys, ive heard a ton about these headphones. I love, love tinkering and improving things, and it makes me want to buy these just to see how much i could improve them. Plus the thunderpants concept is truely impressive that these low end headphones can even rival anything near its price is truely impressive. 

If someone were to buy these headphones, and mod them as much as should be done(or can) what would you do to get them to rival the thunderpants or be them? Without actually buying them. 

Also sorry for having to ask, but 330 pages is soooo much to filter through. 

Anyone? Or is it such a long list its not even funny? 

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #4,944 of 11,345
Why aren't more people recommending the T50RP in all the headphones threads where people are searching for < $100 headphones.  I want to get the newbies hooked!

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #4,945 of 11,345

Quote:

I've never heard them, but I'm 99% sure we rival them quite strongly.  Others who have heard them claim we do rival them, but that's not my account.

EDIT:  Yikes, sorry for the double post.

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #4,946 of 11,345

Quote:

Lol, it's a good sign. of this.

Quote:
Actually, I heard lcd-2 / T50rp yesterday.. It was rev1. I found the T50rp more coherent. On the whole, I liked it better, however, my position is ambivalence to to the lcd-2. To expensive, soundstage is too small, and it is dark. Like really dark. I found rev 1 to be darker than hd 650... highs in certain songs were not even there, let alone recessed. HD 650 my old 'warm' benchmark.

I liked the rev 2 much more, however, the rev 1 is still an enjoyable listen. And unlike the rev 2, It will become a classic phone in the future.

T-50rp. Honestly believe it's the best ortho out there right now. And the price and modability really makes it a no-brainer. It is the beginning of the headphone 1k+ bubble about to pop. 1K + headphones are unnecessary and will not be sustained on the current scale they are at much longer.

Edit: I've heard three lcd-2's and neither of the others sounded like this one. Purrin is right in that the lcd-2 quality control is bad. The rev 2 I heard was glorious, but of the two rev 1's I heard, neither of them sounded similar... One was much darker (In this case, highly recessed midrange. guessing about 1.8k+)

HE 500 and HE 6's are honorable too, and more neutral than the lcd2, however, they cost too much. The main thing is the T50 is a big part of the website. This website is becoming (unfortunately) commercialized and supporting expensive headphones as the 'best calue' in order to increase traffic and consumer base, however, it is not in the best interest of the customer. For example... You can buy T50rp and be done.

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #4,947 of 11,345
For what it's worth, the T50RPs sound worse to my ears with any sort of stuffing or lifters in the back of the 840 pads. With any stuffing, I lose a noticeable amount of lower bass and the sound just seems more distant than it should be. You might lose a bit of the 3D soundstage, imaging, and separation, but the sound is much more full-bodied and dynamic without the stuffing in the back of the pads. I don't consider myself a bass head, but I do like a bit of authority in my bass. Stuffing the pads wasn't cutting it for me. Maybe I can't get a proper seal from that setup?

Perhaps they measure better with stuffing, but it's just not working for my ears.

So far, I've had the best luck with the revised RP2 mods. Naked drivers on back with duct tape in the center square, cotton in the cups, acoustic foam (in cups, on plasticine, and on ear side), plasticine in the baffle, 840 pads (no stuffing), etc. Felt is gone from the vents, which are about 80% closed now (closed parts covered with acoustic foam). 

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #4,948 of 11,345

Quote:

If you go through the last 50 pages you will find 10+ possible mods requiring everything from the pubic hairs of a virgin (does not specify gender so I could supply that) to silverstone acoustic foam. I say the quickest, cheapest sounding mod would be shure 840 pads, plasticine, and silverstone. plasticine in the baffle, silverstone on top of it, in the back of the cup, and on the ear side of the baffle, and the back vents mostly covered with tape on the outside. 

If you want anything with more elaborate than that, or pictures, then you will have to go here http://www.head-fi.org/t/571549/fostex-t50rp-modification-summary-links

or just read through the whole thing

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #4,949 of 11,345
Hi guys!

I'll remind you of my "SUMMARY" thread.... trying to organize some of the most informatie posts from this thread.

I'm an "outsider", though - I'd appreciate if some of you insiders would take a look and comment... I haven't even gotten around to the modding because of information overload :) Are there any important mods I have missed? 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571549/fostex-t50rp-modification-summary-links

Further-  the LFF-mod seems to be a secret? Have I missed anything?

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #4,950 of 11,345

i know lol. lucky i took the chance and swapped myself a used pair off ebay for dirt cheap. it should be at my doorstep in a few hours cause it's only about 7:30am now and mail don't come by till around lunch time so i'll probably see it then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back