Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Nov 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #4,787 of 11,345
I see the bare driver (inside cup) with center panel covered with tape is the latest mrspeakers suggestion but I'm not even caught up with the stiff craft felt that replaced the stock white felt :)...  What are you folks doing to adhere the craft felt to the driver frame?  I was going to use a hot glue gun and hope to avoid getting the glue on the driver but looking for other suggestions here.  Thanks.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #4,788 of 11,345
i used 3mm double-sided tape.

Quote:
I see the bare driver (inside cup) with center panel covered with tape is the latest mrspeakers suggestion but I'm not even caught up with the stiff craft felt that replaced the stock white felt :)...  What are you folks doing to adhere the craft felt to the driver frame?  I was going to use a hot glue gun and hope to avoid getting the glue on the driver but looking for other suggestions here.  Thanks.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #4,789 of 11,345

Quote:
I subsequently made a few easy enhancements once I got my measurement gear setup that addressed these issues (forget where I posted those):

1) Use about 6 "regular" cotton balls teased apart per cup to fill the whole space in the cup.  This gets rid of a resonance at 1K that overdoes the mids.

2) Adjust the tape so the vent is about 80% closed.  This maximizes bass extension with these pads (don't forget two pieces of stacked paxmate on the rear edge of the pads to get some tilt).

3) Remove the craft felt and leave the driver bare, except for a piece of electrical tape on the center square on the inside of the driver.  This fixes the treble balance.

That should do it.  Let me know how it works for you.

I'll try these tonight.  Thanks for the feedback!

Oooh.... one question: when you say "leave the driver bare, except for a piece of electrical tape..." are you referring to a piece of tape on the ear side of the driver, or the modeling clay side?

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #4,790 of 11,345
Nov 15, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #4,791 of 11,345

Quote:
I'll try these tonight.  Thanks for the feedback!

Oooh.... one question: when you say "leave the driver bare, except for a piece of electrical tape..." are you referring to a piece of tape on the ear side of the driver, or the modeling clay side?

Clay-side (inside).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #4,792 of 11,345
Tape won't get loose and start buzzing around?

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #4,793 of 11,345
Nov 15, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #4,794 of 11,345

Quote:
Tape won't get loose and start buzzing around?

Electrical tape is pretty tacky.  You could use duct tape, too.  The furniture "pad" with adhesive is also fine.  Anything will do but tape has the benefit of taking no volume and allowing an exact match.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 15, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #4,795 of 11,345

Quote:
Electrical tape is pretty tacky.  You could use duct tape, too.  The furniture "pad" with adhesive is also fine.  Anything will do but tape has the benefit of taking no volume and allowing an exact match.

I've got some Gorilla Tape as well, which is even more sticky, but also thicker/heavier.  Worth bothering with, or just use the electrical?

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #4,797 of 11,345
I guess I should also ask: how much "burn-in" time, if any, are folks normally giving the T50RP's?  I've probably got 20 - 25 hours so far.  What should I expect with more hours?

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #4,798 of 11,345

Quote:
I guess I should also ask: how much "burn-in" time, if any, are folks normally giving the T50RP's?  I've probably got 20 - 25 hours so far.  What should I expect with more hours?

IMO you're the majority of the way there.  I'd still spend more time with them to get more acquainted with their sound before starting any mods though.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #4,799 of 11,345
Quote:

From everything I've read, I've never had the impression that these need burn-in.

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #4,800 of 11,345
As far as modeling clay is this fine?

http://www.amazon.com/Prang-Modeling-Colored-Blocks-Pounds/dp/B001AYYBEG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1321406929&sr=8-9

I'm going to order a pair of the shure pads and figured I might as well get the clay too so I get the free shipping.

edit oh F me that only brings me to 23.98. whatever, I'll order a CD or something.  still need to know if that will work though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back