Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #4,276 of 11,345

Quote:
Does anyone here use tube amps with the T50RP? I was wondering if they found good results with them as I'm looking at buying a tube amp to have a mix of ss and tubes as well as make use of my other dac finally.

I don't want anything too expensive or large but looking at amps like WA6, something from MAD, maybe a DNA Sonnett but wondering if any amp at around those prices does well with these.

Yes,

I use a Bijou tube amp and it sounds fantastic.  Once I finish my EHHA Rev A build I will try it with that one too.  I'm expecting good results.

Thanks BMF and MrSpeakers for your suggestions on how I should further my development.  I will try the ideas.

Mrspeakers -- when you say remove the black felt and put on just a reflex dot of some kind, do you mean to tell me to run with NO material behind the driver (except for the reflex dot)?

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #4,277 of 11,345

Quote:
Does anyone here use tube amps with the T50RP? I was wondering if they found good results with them as I'm looking at buying a tube amp to have a mix of ss and tubes as well as make use of my other dac finally.

I don't want anything too expensive or large but looking at amps like WA6, something from MAD, maybe a DNA Sonnett but wondering if any amp at around those prices does well with these.

I also use them with my Millet MiniMAX. Ees sounds nice. I've read multiple times that T50's love hybrids.

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #4,278 of 11,345
For those that want one. There is some stock at B&H $73.95 with free shipping in the US. Get it before it goes out of stock again. Would buy one but mine just shipped from Front Audio.

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #4,279 of 11,345
^^

If only I needed a 3rd one. =xd

2 is good enough to secure my future. I never want to pay $1000 for a pretty good ortho again. Let alone 2000 or 3000.

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #4,280 of 11,345

Quote:
Hooray! New ideas!

I don't think anyone has posted about trying your ideas. I say, "Go For It!"  and tell us about the results.

Paxmate Plus and similar acoustic foams do not mass load but do absorb reflections.  Plasticine, Newplast, tungsten putty, Dynamat, etc. mechanically mass load the baffles. Some have used these materials in the cups, too.

Arnaud posted some interesting information and graphs about these topics 20 or 30 pages back, including loose filler to increase the effective size or space of the cups.

Quote:
Welcome Dogwan.

I've thought about it, I think it's a great idea. I was looking at edead and silent running. I was thinking edead and brushing it in, but Quiet-Kote on the inside and outside is a possibility too. The only problem is it's irreversible, so it's a mod that requires commitment. Waiting on some Shure 840 pads at the moment.

OK, I'm formulating a plan. I will take one for the team, be a Maverick, go against the grain, whatever!

My plan is pretty simple but I will have to take a leap of faith. After having read or skimmed this entire thread it seems to me that almost everyone has built on the original mods. I'm going to approach from a different angle. I am not afraid of taking the chance of it not working because I suspect that if all else fails I could probably scrounge a pair of stock cups (Smeggy?) and start over if it's an abject failure.

1st off I want to try damping the cup resonances without reducing the internal volume. This is where the "Quiet-Kote" comes in. This will require completely removing the drivers to spray the cups, so I will also re-cable at the same time (why leave the crappy 6.3mm socket?). Question: Is it really an Aluminum pad on the PCB board of the driver? If so has anyone tried the mineral oil trick to solder copper to the traces?

2nd, I saw LFF's subtle hint at dispersion many posts ago and since his success is the center of much speculation I am inclined to investigate. I have a material in mind that is a natural vegetable celullose that has many random cells of differing sizes, so far it shows great promise (in my simple test) for really evening out the cup resonances without completely filling the cup or covering every surface (don't worry, whether it works or not I will share). In my stock cups I put a slice of this material in without any other material or mods and effect was immediately noticable, smoother coherance across the spectrum. I feel like this one simple step took me about 50% towards where I want to be. But I can still hear the plasticky honk from the cup, though already reduced.

3rd, I think I will try loosely fill the cups with some kind of fiber fill to create the illusion of greater cup volume.

Wish me luck, based on any answers to the above bolded question I might get going this weekend.

-Dogwan

BTW- I think I will call 'em ......"DoggyPants!"

PS, I know I'm running mostly on intuition here, but it rarely fails me in catastrophic ways.

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #4,282 of 11,345
tube amps are high impedance, so they do not transfer power well with low impedance drivers like the fostexes. Thus I would recommend a hybrid for their superior power output, or a solid state for their low input impedance. However, if you have a powerful enough tube amp then it does not matter so much. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #4,284 of 11,345
Hi,

I'm considering buying the Fostex T50RP but I can't audition them before purchase, so I have a few questions regarding the sound signature.

1. Are they warm and musical or are they sharp and "hot" like Grados?
2. Build quality?
3. Are they easy to drive out of a laptop/clip+?
4. Are they good for any specific genre?

I'm probably giving my SR60 to my brother since he likes them a lot and the Fostex T50 seems like a good substitute, as I love modding things.
I listen to bands like Gorillaz, Trivium, The Pixies, A7X, etc.

Cheers,

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #4,285 of 11,345

Quote:
Hi,

I'm considering buying the Fostex T50RP but I can't audition them before purchase, so I have a few questions regarding the sound signature.

1. Are they warm and musical or are they sharp and "hot" like Grados?
2. Build quality?
3. Are they easy to drive out of a laptop/clip+?
4. Are they good for any specific genre?

1) It varies on how the T50RP is modded so it's hard to say a yes or no.

2) I have no issues with the build quality of the T50RP

3) no

4) I find them to be a good all rounder.

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #4,286 of 11,345
Hi rawrster, thanks for the reply.

You said that it cannot be driven easily via laptop/portable media player... What's the impedance/sensitivity of the T50s?

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #4,288 of 11,345
Dogwan, looking forward to hearing how things workout.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #4,289 of 11,345

Quote:
Dogwan, looking forward to hearing how things workout.

Will do!

Now, just trying to decide if I should tear 'em apart now or have one more night of listening to them "as is" while falling asleep. Either way I'm not getting my homework done tonight.

-Dogwan

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #4,290 of 11,345
A quick update from me if anyone's interested - I went with a small reflex dot of electrical tape, and a small amount more cotton wool in the cups, as prescribed by mrspeakers (thanks for the help), and it's helped smooth things out quite a bit. I'm finding that it's very sensitive to how much stuffing you put in the cups. I'm actually very pleased with how these sound for now, but I think I should splash out on some 840 pads - the stock ones just aren't hugely comfortable, and they're in slight danger of slipping off, since they're sitting on a layer of paxmate now.

And good to see you trying out some stuff Dogwan - I... 'liberated' some cheap looking foam from our labs earlier this week that I've not tried yet - I might give it a go in place of the cotton wool and see if it performs as well. My main issue with the cotton wool is it's difficult to get even amounts in both cups.

Also, I really need some better test material - probably time to invest in something from Chesky Records - it's probably considered a crime around here that I don't own anything Chesky yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back