Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 2, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #3,241 of 11,345

Quote:
wow this threat is progressing fast
no, i don't want a portable amp, I alredy got a senns hd25 for walking and going out.
If you have some other suggestions for full size amp amps within this price range i would really like to hear them

Look into buying an Objective2 amp if you can. Well within your budget and sounds as good as an Arete with the Volcano.
beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #3,242 of 11,345

Quote:
wow this threat is progressing fast
no, i don't want a portable amp, I alredy got a senns hd25 for walking and going out.
If you have some other suggestions for full size amp amps within this price range i would really like to hear them

I use an Audio-gd NFB12 (combo dac and headphone amp) at work, and I'm pretty happy with it... FWIW. At home I'm using a W4S Dac-1 and an audio-gd Roc - that's better
wink_face.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #3,244 of 11,345

Quote:
I do have a question... Are you serious? Glad I have mine inbound. ; )

Dude...you should know a little about me by now.

I have no agenda except for good sounding stuff. If it sounds good, I'll say so. If it sucks, I'll say so. Gets me into trouble from time to time but I have no reason to BS you guys.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #3,245 of 11,345
Oddly enough, I dug through the house today and discovered an old Sansui 5000 collecting dust for the past 45 years.  Decided to clean it out and power it up w/ the T50rp since I know you basically can't blow the drivers, like, ever!   Boy, do they like power.  The E9 makes the E7 sound like a little bitch and the 5000 does the same to the E9.  These things like powah! Amazing the things you hear when you give your drivers what they crave.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #3,246 of 11,345
Yes I have and yes, I have. I have previously estimated that my modded T50RP's have achieved approximately 80% to 85% of the sound quality Goodness of my LCD2's. The remaining 15% to 20% of aural sweetness that my LCD2's deliver may appear insubstantial but actually makes night and day difference in reaching a whole 'nother level of exquisite SQ. As great as my modded T50RP's sound, whenever I make a head to head comparison, I am once again shown how much better the LCD2's sound. They have superior fidelity, soundstage, resolution, clarity, and comfort that a studio monitor such as the T50RP cannot match. From my extensive modding history of four sets of T50RP's with one mod at a time compared to a stock set of Fostex and my LCD2's, I do not expect a $75 set of Fostex headphones to ever top LCD2's that are 4 times bigger and cost over 10 times as much.
Some have claimed otherwise and I have no need to argue this point. This is all based on individual perception, personal preferences, opinion, personal biases (my own included), cognitive dissonance, psychoacoustics, confirmatory bias, placebo effects, and did I mention opinions?
I enjoy the challenge of mod experiments and the amazing results achieved with cheap, simple to implement methods and materials anyone can make that transforms these modest cans into top performers for the low price of admission.
I have no argument with anyone who disagrees. For anyone who finds their modded set of Fostex sounds better than LCD2's or any top cans you care to name, congratulations; I'm happy for your good fortune and talents.
It's all good. And so much fun!

I appreciate this too. BMF, however, do you think the lcd-2 could be a more formidable cable than stock T50R's cable? Do you think that's where a lot of difference comes from?

What's your take on this?
Personally, I know the lcd-2 cable is a higher quality cable. I believe if the cable was replaced we could equal or rival the LCD-2's.

What's are your thoughts?

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #3,247 of 11,345

Quote:
Dude...you should know a little about me by now.

I have no agenda except for good sounding stuff. If it sounds good, I'll say so. If it sucks, I'll say so. Gets me into trouble from time to time but I have no reason to BS you guys. 

You have an O2 already?  How?  Revised boards haven't been made yet.....

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #3,248 of 11,345

Quote:
Oddly enough, I dug through the house today and discovered an old Sansui 5000 collecting dust for the past 45 years.  Decided to clean it out and power it up w/ the T50rp since I know you basically can't blow the drivers, like, ever!   Boy, do they like power.  The E9 makes the E7 sound like a little bitch and the 5000 does the same to the E9.  These things like powah! Amazing the things you hear when you give your drivers what they crave.

DROOL!!!

I love those old Sansui receivers! Made back in a time when workmanship and love were put into quality products. I heard from many a source that each Sansui model was personally approved by the founder before being put into production. If it didn't pass his engineering and listening tests, it wasn't put into production.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #3,249 of 11,345

Quote:
I appreciate this too. BMF, however, do you think the lcd-2 could be a more formidable cable than stock T50R's cable? Do you think that's where a lot of difference comes from?
What's your take on this?
Personally, I know the lcd-2 cable is a higher quality cable. I believe if the cable was replaced we could equal or rival the LCD-2's.
What's are your thoughts?

Really they are two different animals.  Smaller driver for closed phones versus larger driver w/ open construction.  The cable is not where you should be looking.

Tbh, I prefer the coherence of the T50rp.  I don't run into certain aspects of the LCD2 that draw me out of the listening experience and get me thinking about the phone.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #3,250 of 11,345

Quote:
You have an O2 already?  How?  Revised boards haven't been made yet.....

I know. Someone I know let me borrow an early model. Don't ask me how he got it. I had it around for 3 days. Should have called you over.

Misterrogers and I will be building a few soon.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #3,251 of 11,345

Quote:
DROOL!!!

I love those old Sansui receivers! Made back in a time when workmanship and love were put into quality products. I heard from many a source that each Sansui model was personally approved by the founder before being put into production. If it didn't pass his engineering and listening tests, it wasn't put into production.

Still has a perfect mylar 'PASSED' sticker on it.  Guess it made it. ;P Everything's working too.  Had to verify the voltaqe when I opened it up to clear out the bunnies. 

I'll see how the O2 portable sounds and then go for a desktop if I dig it.  Arete huh, I wonder if that's good enough.  
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #3,252 of 11,345

Quote:
Really they are two different animals.  Smaller driver for closed phones versus larger driver w/ open construction.  The cable is not where you should be looking.

Tbh, I prefer the coherence of the T50rp.  I don't run into certain aspects of the LCD2 that draw me out of the listening experience and get me thinking about the phone.

I agree with you. Coherence is a good choice word for describing the T50RP...especially a good modded one. I also prefer the Paradox because it will not leak sound across your entire room.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #3,253 of 11,345

Quote:
Still has a perfect mylar 'PASSED' sticker on it.  Guess it made it. ;P Everything's working too.  Had to verify the voltaqe when I opened it up to clear out the bunnies. 

Lucky man! You should bring it to the meet.
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #3,254 of 11,345
Very noticeable improvement just from Musiland02US to Headsave Classic.
I'm tempted to bring the Dared MP5 back to the office.

Quote:

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #3,255 of 11,345

Thanks, I fully see what you're saying, but I'm thinking of the cable because that is something we can change. Do you think LCD-2 cable is better than T 50 cable and that could be helping LCD-2? Basically, assuming they're cables were (identical) would T50 be 90% of LCD-2 (Minus closed phone and smaller driver) up from the originally guessed 75-80%?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back