Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 1, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #3,226 of 11,345
I would also stay away from Rockwool.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #3,227 of 11,345
if anyone is sticking with the stock pads, i can confirm that adding small 1/8" spacers to the rear to angle the pads improves the focus and imaging.  bass is tighter and a little more treble emphasis.  i'm also getting a better seal/fit.  YMMV.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #3,228 of 11,345
Actually Rockwool is not so good, fibers everywhere, itchy ears me thinks, LOL.
You can get acoustic cotton, might try that.

I'm astonished by the sound quality that I'm getting from mine, still. My ears aren't at all itchy, though, because I used it INSIDE the cups. In the same way that I'm not itchy in my basement because I used it INSIDE the walls.

With a little caution and some gloves, I think this makes a material with quite a bit of low-cost potential.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #3,229 of 11,345
Wait, BMF, you own LCD-2's?  

Did you ever comment on which you liked more between the LCD-2's and modified T50RP's?

Yes I have and yes, I have. I have previously estimated that my modded T50RP's have achieved approximately 80% to 85% of the sound quality Goodness of my LCD2's. The remaining 15% to 20% of aural sweetness that my LCD2's deliver may appear insubstantial but actually makes night and day difference in reaching a whole 'nother level of exquisite SQ. As great as my modded T50RP's sound, whenever I make a head to head comparison, I am once again shown how much better the LCD2's sound. They have superior fidelity, soundstage, resolution, clarity, and comfort that a studio monitor such as the T50RP cannot match. From my extensive modding history of four sets of T50RP's with one mod at a time compared to a stock set of Fostex and my LCD2's, I do not expect a $75 set of Fostex headphones to ever top LCD2's that are 4 times bigger and cost over 10 times as much.

Some have claimed otherwise and I have no need to argue this point. This is all based on individual perception, personal preferences, opinion, personal biases (my own included), cognitive dissonance, psychoacoustics, confirmatory bias, placebo effects, and did I mention opinions?

I enjoy the challenge of mod experiments and the amazing results achieved with cheap, simple to implement methods and materials anyone can make that transforms these modest cans into top performers for the low price of admission.

I have no argument with anyone who disagrees. For anyone who finds their modded set of Fostex sounds better than LCD2's or any top cans you care to name, congratulations; I'm happy for your good fortune and talents.

It's all good. And so much fun!

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #3,231 of 11,345
OMG, I cut a strip of Automotive black vinyl that I had left over from some upholstery work I did to my car, tied it on with some elastic string from the $2 shop, sooooo comfy. Best headband ever.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #3,232 of 11,345
Thanks. Just did that, but they are still too dark for me. They are brighter though, so things are moving in the right direction. You are correct though, that the Transpore does not suck out the mids like the Micropore Tape does. I will probably add another layer of Transpore next.

Okay, I think I just hit pay dirt. The second layer of Transpore seems to achieve what I am looking for. This is more detailed, good high frequency response without messing up the low end. Mids sound very natural. I will need to listen a bunch more, of course. Not that it is hard to do! Thanks BMF for the tips.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #3,233 of 11,345

Quote:
OMG, I cut a strip of Automotive black vinyl that I had left over from some upholstery work I did to my car, tied it on with some elastic string from the $2 shop, sooooo comfy. Best headband ever.

Suspension headbands are awesome!

Post some pics!

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #3,236 of 11,345

Quote:
Here's mine! Cotton fabric belt was the donor - I thought it would breathe more than leather, and so far so good - thanks for the tip LFF.

Very nice!

Are you also supporting it with rubber ties?

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #3,238 of 11,345

Quote:
no, but similar - I "borrowed" my girlfriends hair ties while she is away on business!

Hair ties are rubber ties.
wink_face.gif

It's what I used on mine. I stole mine from my wife.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #3,239 of 11,345
Another great 'reality check' post
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Yes I have and yes, I have. I have previously estimated that my modded T50RP's have achieved approximately 80% to 85% of the sound quality Goodness of my LCD2's. The remaining 15% to 20% of aural sweetness that my LCD2's deliver may appear insubstantial but actually makes night and day difference in reaching a whole 'nother level of exquisite SQ. As great as my modded T50RP's sound, whenever I make a head to head comparison, I am once again shown how much better the LCD2's sound. They have superior fidelity, soundstage, resolution, clarity, and comfort that a studio monitor such as the T50RP cannot match. From my extensive modding history of four sets of T50RP's with one mod at a time compared to a stock set of Fostex and my LCD2's, I do not expect a $75 set of Fostex headphones to ever top LCD2's that are 4 times bigger and cost over 10 times as much.
Some have claimed otherwise and I have no need to argue this point. This is all based on individual perception, personal preferences, opinion, personal biases (my own included), cognitive dissonance, psychoacoustics, confirmatory bias, placebo effects, and did I mention opinions?
I enjoy the challenge of mod experiments and the amazing results achieved with cheap, simple to implement methods and materials anyone can make that transforms these modest cans into top performers for the low price of admission.
I have no argument with anyone who disagrees. For anyone who finds their modded set of Fostex sounds better than LCD2's or any top cans you care to name, congratulations; I'm happy for your good fortune and talents.
It's all good. And so much fun!

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #3,240 of 11,345

Having heard both, I would personally go for the Lyr.

I am using a Heed CanAmp with mine. It gives it a nice warm texture.

If you want a portable amp then I would recommend the Fischer Audio Mystify. It has power to spare and it is very clean sounding.

wow this threat is progressing fast
no, I'm not intrested in a portable amp, I alredy got a senns hd25 for walking and going out.
If you have some other suggestions for full size amps within this price range i would really like to hear them
also, forgot to ask about the Valhalla Vs Lyr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back