Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 23, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #2,776 of 11,345
say.. thanx for this, bmf ..
or as the aussies say, 'good on you' (not that i'm an aussie...
wink_face.gif
)
looks like i'm going organdi hunting.

Quote:
....So, no; I won't hold out on you.

I'm glad I found something new for everyone to play with; the "Secret Sauce" is ... Organdi.  It's a lightly woven fabric with heavy starch.  I found it an art supply store.  It is probably available at fabric stores, too.

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #2,777 of 11,345
You guys just keep tempting me with those O2 pads.....must...resist...

Do what I did.. add to cart.. close your eyes & click "buy".. LOL.  It'll feel better (at least that what I told myself).

Flysweep and LFF .... how is your modded t50rp compared with FA-003?

I will answer in complete honesty....

My Paradox headphones (mod'd Fostex T50RP's) kick the living hell out of the FA-003. To me, it's like comparing iBuds to the FA-003...no contest.

EDIT: To be fair...it is comparing apples to oranges...dynamic driver v. ortho....

I'm as big a fan of the 003 as you'll find (next to LFF).. I've even modded my 003 with the same acoustic foam used in the T50RP mods as well as recabled them.  I felt I've reached the pinnacle of the 003 sound quality (aside from recabling with some thousand dollar wire, but that's another discussion).  I simply love the sound of the 003 now too, clean, fast, natural, highlt detailed.  It had become me primary phone and after hearing many full sized phones, it's the only one I decided to keep.  I like them that much.

That being said, I'll wholeheartedly agree with LFF in claiming that the 003 would simply would go hide in a corner & whimper in fear when compared to the T50RP.  I was truly amazed.  Pair the 002 with some top notch gear and they'll sing.. put the T50RP in the same and they'll ROAR.  Properly amped, the Rastapants'd T50RP make the 003 sound 2D, lifeless, and flat.  And this is despite me still fighting to get the midrange and mid bass to even out.. they're that good.  I was really surprised when LFF (and mrspeakers) mentioned the T50RP are an endgame type of headphone.  I've extensively heard the 650, 800 and other titans of the market.. and even with my modest gear, I'm a believer.  The modded T50RP is that good.  It's simply the most engaging, immersive headphone I've ever heard.

The 003 though.. I still love to death and it will not be going anywhere.  The fact it sounds awesome unamped serves as an asset alone since I do listen to most of my music from the iPhone. And mind you, the comparison isn't a knock on the 003.. but a compliment to just how impressive the T50RP is.  Anaxilus and others have mentioned the T50RP is why they've not swam into the more expensive market of hifi, full sized phones.. cause the Fostex are simply that good.  They can be an end to that journey.

LFF is also right in that it's comparing different driver technology, so it's not the most even of battle grounds.. the ortho simply sounds more dynamic and real than any dynamic driver I've heard.  So taking that into account, it doesn't feel fair to the 003.  But if you're going purely on sound, the T50RP wins out, leaving no doubt.

Fischer will be revising the 003 & 002w soon.. which they said will improve their sound quality by a significant margin (quite an amazing feat if it does, imo).. LFF will be auditioning them so we'll see what FA has up their sleeve.  Despite the dominance of the Fostex ortho, I'm still very excited to read about & hear this revision.

Same here... Flysweep.:

Smeggy wrote today that he has "a strip of foam" under the stock pads. If you check out the thunderpants you'll see how stock pads are raised... I think it's just acoustic foam - which is what we've done to our stock pads.

How close are 840's to O2/.... Mabe I'll pick up some 840's... Just can't justify O2 pads right now.

That's correct.. the acoustic foam laid across the earside of the baffle does indeed increase pad depth and prevents your ears from being sandwiched against the baffle.. the foam is soft too so it's pretty comfortable too.  If I didn't have the O2, I might even be happy with that setup.  But having the O2 pads, it a different story.. I couldn't conceive going back to anything less now, honestly.  It's not just that your ears are barely touching the baffles with the O2, it the plush pads that gently surround your ear..angled and applying just the right pressure to provide an excellent seal without ever feeling like your head is in a clamp.  The 003 pads deliver a very similar fit.. bit they won't angle the drivers toward your ear like the O2's will, plus the padding isn't as comfy.. if I had the 003 pads modded the way LFF does (and never had a chance to feel the O2), I'd be perfectly happy.. but alas.. the O2's reign supreme.

Just to make the hit to the wallet a little more justifiable:  the T50RP will be the last serious investment in full-sized headphone I plan to make.  They're phones I use daily.  In that light, the T50RP is saving me a lot of money down the line by me not having to buy/sell/trade/return other full sized headphones I'd be otherwise, be wasting money on.  With that perspective, $150 seems like a manageable investment in comfort (even if it is just for pads).  Do note though, pads play a very important role in the sound of the T50RP, perhaps much more than other phones.. so you're going to get an improvement in the accuracy of the sound too.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #2,778 of 11,345

Quote:
Do what I did.. add to cart.. close your eyes & click "buy".. LOL.  It'll feel better (at least that what I told myself).

I'm as big a fan of the 003 as you'll find (next to LFF).. I've even modded my 003 with the same acoustic foam used in the T50RP mods as well as recabled them.  I felt I've reached the pinnacle of the 003 sound quality (aside from recabling with some thousand dollar wire, but that's another discussion).  I simply love the sound of the 003 now too, clean, fast, natural, highlt detailed.  It had become me primary phone and after hearing many full sized phones, it's the only one I decided to keep.  I like them that much.

That being said, I'll wholeheartedly agree with LFF in claiming that the 003 would simply would go hide in a corner & whimper in fear when compared to the T50RP.  I was truly amazed.  Pair the 002 with some top notch gear and they'll sing.. put the T50RP in the same and they'll ROAR.  Properly amped, the Rastapants'd T50RP make the 003 sound 2D, lifeless, and flat.  And this is despite me still fighting to get the midrange and mid bass to even out.. they're that good.  I was really surprised when LFF (and mrspeakers) mentioned the T50RP are an endgame type of headphone.  I've extensively heard the 650, 800 and other titans of the market.. and even with my modest gear, I'm a believer.  The modded T50RP is that good.  It's simply the most engaging, immersive headphone I've ever heard.

The 003 though.. I still love to death and it will not be going anywhere.  The fact it sounds awesome unamped serves as an asset alone since I do listen to most of my music from the iPhone. And mind you, the comparison isn't a knock on the 003.. but a compliment to just how impressive the T50RP is.  Anaxilus and others have mentioned the T50RP is why they've not swam into the more expensive market of hifi, full sized phones.. cause the Fostex are simply that good.  They can be an end to that journey.

LFF is also right in that it's comparing different driver technology, so it's not the most even of battle grounds.. the ortho simply sounds more dynamic and real than any dynamic driver I've heard.  So taking that into account, it doesn't feel fair to the 003.  But if you're going purely on sound, the T50RP wins out, leaving no doubt.

Fischer will be revising the 003 & 002w soon.. which they said will improve their sound quality by a significant margin (quite an amazing feat if it does, imo).. LFF will be auditioning them so we'll see what FA has up their sleeve.  Despite the dominance of the Fostex ortho, I'm still very excited to read about & hear this revision.

That's correct.. the acoustic foam laid across the earside of the baffle does indeed increase pad depth and prevents your ears from being sandwiched against the baffle.. the foam is soft too so it's pretty comfortable too.  If I didn't have the O2, I might even be happy with that setup.  But having the O2 pads, it a different story.. I couldn't conceive going back to anything less now, honestly.  It's not just that your ears are barely touching the baffles with the O2, it the plush pads that gently surround your ear..angled and applying just the right pressure to provide an excellent seal without ever feeling like your head is in a clamp.  The 003 pads deliver a very similar fit.. bit they won't angle the drivers toward your ear like the O2's will, plus the padding isn't as comfy.. if I had the 003 pads modded the way LFF does (and never had a chance to feel the O2), I'd be perfectly happy.. but alas.. the O2's reign supreme.

Just to make the hit to the wallet a little more justifiable:  the T50RP will be the last serious investment in full-sized headphone I plan to make.  They're phones I use daily.  In that light, the T50RP is saving me a lot of money down the line by me not having to buy/sell/trade/return other full sized headphones I'd be otherwise, be wasting money on.  With that perspective, $150 seems like a manageable investment in comfort (even if it is just for pads).  Do note though, pads play a very important role in the sound of the T50RP, perhaps much more than other phones.. so you're going to get an improvement in the accuracy of the sound too.

Ordering the O2 pads is asier said than done my friend....

As for your more elaborate description of the FA-003 v. a Mod'd T50RP....wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. I really do feel these Fostex headphone can give "higher end" headphones a run for their money. Just look at the measurements of my mods v. the LCD-2 which is nearly 10 times the cost. IMHO, my mod'd headphones sound much better than the LCD-2's I have heard. Also keep in mind that my mod'd pair is CLOSED while all the other "high end" orthos are open. To me, these headphones really are endgame headphones that provide a unique listening experience which all other headphones have failed to show me.

The FA-003 is still a great dynamic headphone and I still recommend it...especially for the price but if we judge them both strictly based on sound quality, the modified Fostex headphones win by miles.

Another point I have stressed to many who have PM'd me is that the Fostex headphones can really be tailored to suit YOUR ears. What better type of headphone to have than one that you tailored yourself to match what you like to hear?!

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #2,780 of 11,345
Thanks Flysweep ....

I need comparison between thunderpants vs modded fostex vs ... HD650. Because i almost pulled a trigger on this headphone.

Btw does t50rp require good amps? Will it sounds good with Yulong D100 or nuforce HDP?

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #2,781 of 11,345

Quote:

Thanks man!

And here I thought you were just cutting up random things in your girlfriend's closet.

How smooth are the mids on your setup?

This is not directed at you, alone, 200poundsofamp:  Choose from the following qualitative, subjective, difficult (impossible?) to generalize to anyone else adjectives - aka IMO:  silky, rich, clear, creamy, satisying smooooth groove.  IMO, among the best I've heard.

The mods are easy to make.  Try one; try many, but do so systematically in order to isolate the effects to a particular mod and mod set-up.  Let us know what you tried and liked vs did not like.  Multiple data points (opinions) from many modding members for each particular mod or mod combination provides better reliability and generalizability than one guy's description.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #2,782 of 11,345

Quote:
Thanks Flysweep ....

I need comparison between thunderpants vs modded fostex vs ... HD650. Because i almost pulled a trigger on this headphone.

Btw does t50rp require good amps? Will it sounds good with Yulong D100 or nuforce HDP?

I use HDP 40% of the time and MiniMAX for the rest. I like the HDP's pretty good transparency but the Hybrid miniMAX
 is the better amp. (a ways)

These drive easier than my HD 650's. Yes, HDP will drive them to loud levels at the 9 o clock position. 12 o clock will be 'short burst' ear blasting loud, and any higher you'll damage your hearing within 15 seconds or so.. It's not reccomended. I listen @ 9-10 on HDP. Sometimes 10:30.

Also, buy them and mod them. Again, check me. I sold my Blue and Silver Dragon HD 650's..... for T50.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #2,783 of 11,345
Hey guys I'm looking for a good amp for the t50rp that I got recently. I've seen recommendations for amps around the $300 range but I will have to save up for it. I will be building a starving student hybrid and an O2 amp soon, so I don't think I can shell out too much yet. 

Are there any budget recommendations for a good match? Preferably around $150 or so. I have seen a recommendation to get the FiiO E9, so has anyone tried to pair it up with this?

Or should I just wait and save up for a better one?

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #2,784 of 11,345

Quote:
That being said, I am itching to get another pair to see how I can voice them differently.

I think the time has come for you to put on your ninja outfit and explore the realms of vintage orthos :wink: , there are many welcome surprises to be found and don't be fooled by the naysayers who feel that modern computer aided driver design is where it ends..dB

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #2,785 of 11,345
so stax pads have been bought by another head-fi member. it was a bit less than new but probably 2 weeks or so since international package. Hopefully it is as good as flysweep has been saying it is..

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #2,786 of 11,345

Quote:
I think the time has come for you to put on your ninja outfit and explore the realms of vintage orthos :wink: , there are many welcome surprises to be found and don't be fooled by the naysayers who feel that modern computer aided driver design is where it ends..dB

These headphones have really convinced me what Orthos can do, even cheap ones. I might need to join the dark side and get some vintage Orthos.

Unrelated, there are now Ortho Ninjas, a Stax Mafia, what's next Dynamic Samurais? Or would it skip to Knights of the Dynamic Headphone Brotherhood?

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #2,787 of 11,345
instead of building a starving student, i really recommend garage1217's project sunrise amp kit with russian 6n23p.  it may look cute & toylike but its performance truly belies its pricepoint - it's also somewhat of a tuberoller's dream ... supporting both 6- and 12-volt tubes.  as always ... imho 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Hey guys I'm looking for a good amp for the t50rp that I got recently. I've seen recommendations for amps around the $300 range but I will have to save up for it. I will be building a starving student hybrid and an O2 amp soon, so I don't think I can shell out too much yet. 

Are there any budget recommendations for a good match? Preferably around $150 or so. I have seen a recommendation to get the FiiO E9, so has anyone tried to pair it up with this?

Or should I just wait and save up for a better one?

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #2,789 of 11,345
Sep 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #2,790 of 11,345
^ditto

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back