Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 19, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #2,627 of 11,345

Quote:

Not the vent on the cup, the small vent on the ear side of the baffle.

That little hole?

I don't know what it does. It might just have been there for assembly of the headphones. Plug it with dough.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #2,628 of 11,345
You can always experiement with it covered and not covered and see if there is a difference in sound.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #2,629 of 11,345
The tiny hole at the top of each cup on the ear side of the baffle is part of the design.  It is an equalization vent that goes all the way through the baffle and driver frame opening into the interior cup chamber unless accidentally plugged with plasticine or bluetack during baffle mass loading.  

The next time you have the baffles off, push a straightened paper clip through the hole on the ear side of the baffle and you will see where it exits on the back side of the driver frame.

This vent can serve as another modification variable for you to systematically test. It is also one of the easiest to test because you can try it open, closed, and partially closed without having to take off the baffles.

Quote:

That little hole?

I don't know what it does. It might just have been there for assembly of the headphones. Plug it with dough.

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #2,631 of 11,345
My left driver remains the same...It only reproudces bass above 100-125 Hz. I don´t know if I should start from scratch or buy a new driver instead....

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #2,633 of 11,345
I'd tried plugging the hole in my initial modding stages and found that it killed off the lower bass frequencies for me as well.  Not desirable with the rastapants scheme IMO.

What hole? The small bass port behind the earpads? The freaking weird thing is that it only happens in one driver

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #2,636 of 11,345

Quote:
My left driver remains the same...It only reproudces bass above 100-125 Hz. I don´t know if I should start from scratch or buy a new driver instead....

Make sure you didn't accidentally plug that little hole. Also make sure your pads are sealing properly.

When I was trying different pads, I noticed that with an improper seal, I would lose all the sub-bass.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #2,637 of 11,345
So unfortunately I wasn't able to pick up the SRH840 pads today but hopefully tomorrow I can buy a pair after work. I should be getting some acoustic foam by the end of the week so looking forward to completing the mods based on the rastapants mod before I start adjusting the bass ports and such.

LFF, I'm a bit curious but where do these rank for you? I do recall your HP2 as your favorite but wondering where the T50RP are for you or have you not had enough time with them yet.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #2,638 of 11,345

Quote:
LFF, I'm a bit curious but where do these rank for you? I do recall your HP2 as your favorite but wondering where the T50RP are for you or have you not had enough time with them yet.

These are the best headphones I currently own and I rank them among the best headphones I have ever heard, if not the best.

However, do keep in mind that I voiced them to my preferences...which is natural/neutral. As I have mentioned before, I don't feel any particular frequency range stands out from another and their low end extension of 13Hz at normal volume level is something I find to be extremely impressive. Usually you have to spend a large sum of money to get those last few Hz or kHz from a headphone or speaker. Thankfully, this wasn't the case with the T50RP.

Another point for these is that they can voiced very differently by inexpensively changing a few things. If your preference is for a different signature other than natural/neutral, you need not work much more to achieve it. In fact, I think it's harder to get these to sound natural/neutral than any other signature.

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #2,639 of 11,345
I've never heard AIC's Unplugged and Eagles' HFO this good before.
AIC's Unplugged - I can better sense the ambience of the recording venue specially when the audience are shouting. Stupendously spacious!
Eagles' The Girl from Yesterday - so sibilance whatsoever and yet it doesn't sound rolled-off. And the bass on Hotel California. Stupendously full bodied!

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #2,640 of 11,345
I just ordered my T50rp from Front End Audio, ~$110 shipped to Australia. Still on backorder though, hopefully mine will be sent from the shipment that supposedly comes in on the 30th. 

I have to admit I haven't read the whole thread, I have some questions about the mods... Which mods affect which aspects of the sound? For example is there a particular mod that enhances treble, or do they just make the sound "better" in general? Also, how are people finding the weight of these once they're all stuffed full of plasticine/blutak/etc? Apologies for my ignorance :wink: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back