Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 10, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #2,401 of 11,345
boy, these sound different.  i've been letting them burn-in over the past few hours while burning some solder on the workbench.

i rolled in a pair of old stiff pleather pads from my AKG 240DF that are no longer being used.  while the SS opens up a bit with the larger pad/ear opening, the seal is worse than the stock pads, resulting in attenuated bass response.  back to stock pads - i'm getting a better seal with heat and time on my head after an hour.   

i think the FR is fairly flat from top to bottom.  i'm not hearing an emphasis at any particular frequency - everything sounds like it's cut from the same cloth.  the bass quantity is perfect - no bloat, cuts deep, and hits hard with no over-hang.  mid-range - awesome.  treble - i'm getting used to it.  while i'm not an "airy soundstage freak", i'm missing a bit of treble with a muffled quality.  

timbre and tone - the best i've heard, maybe?  but the instrument separation is poor.  i think these could be very detailed cans but the instruments smearing all over each other hinders this.  i understand why people mod these cans in an attempt to gain more focus and reduce the clearly audible resonances. 

i'm going to mod these suckers, but i don't want to kill the dynamics with an extreme "clamp and damp" approach - baby steps.  while i would love to root for the home-town Magneplanars, i'm not totally enamored with their dynamic abilities - tone and timbre are excellent though.  i was expecting the Fostex to sound similar, and yes they share a lot of similar positives, but they're not as dull as i was expecting.  i'm enjoying the different sonic perspective.   

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #2,402 of 11,345
Regarding tt damping with plasticine/modeling clay my friends lenco gl75 had horrid bass feedback at high vol. A layer of belgrave around the inner diameter on the underside of the platter fixed it. I have plasticine on my lenco under the platter and top plate. I think anywhere you can put it will be good to eliminate unwanted vibrations.

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #2,403 of 11,345

Quote:
Great to see another Aussie here hdman. Try some belgrave modeling clay which you can buy locally. It is fantastic for damping. It worked miracles on a friends turntable, almost unbelievable what it did. It will be much easier to use than dynamat and bluetack is next to useless for damping in comparison. Also no placebo for me, these things are incredible especially with quality vinyl on my system.

Ozzy ozzy ozzy, oi oi oi. LOL.

Yeh we got a local craft shop here with modeling clay (only $6), I checked that out a while back, going to try a few different things, see whats best for me.

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #2,405 of 11,345

Quote:
I've taken the ortho plunge!  T50RP ordered today.  Now.. time for modding "ortho-modding 101."

Check my siggy. Modded and pad tutorial will give you my T50LCD-2

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #2,407 of 11,345
I use either my Fischer Audio Mystify amp or my HEED CanAmp.

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #2,408 of 11,345
Yes, jeeze... amping is highly reccomended... All cans improve with amping. I was actually surprised to find my grados NEEDED an amp. - They greatly improved.

Best can I know of to work w/o an amp is Sennhieser HD 595

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #2,409 of 11,345

Quote:
What are people using to drive these 'phones? Do they require amping?

Anything that has up to 250ohms will work.

I've got my receiver, that pushed K1000's, but pushes the T50RP more then enough.

If you need one, FiiO E9 would do the job.

EDIT: FiiO E5 will too. Don't get on me with this. It won't be the greatest sound, but it will deliver more power. Downside: The FiiO only lasts for an hour on battery

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #2,412 of 11,345
Awesome :) I'm really keen to get a pair of these now. For ~$75 you can't really go wrong... Are there any online shops that actually have these in stock? I've only checked Front End Audio and B&H Photo so far and they're both out. Also, for the Aussie's who've bought from Front End, how long did it take for the cans to arrive after the order shipped? And which shipping method did you choose.

Cheers

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #2,413 of 11,345

Quote:
Awesome :) I'm really keen to get a pair of these now. For ~$75 you can't really go wrong... Are there any online shops that actually have these in stock? I've only checked Front End Audio and B&H Photo so far and they're both out. Also, for the Aussie's who've bought from Front End, how long did it take for the cans to arrive after the order shipped? And which shipping method did you choose.

Cheers

There was a couple stores a day ago. The amazon link is also gone.

Just keep looking around, they pop up every so often.

btw: expect to pay around $120 with mods and pads.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #2,414 of 11,345

Quote:

Cheers

Wow, that stock went fast, in 2 days they sold out. Lucky I ordered when I did. Ordered Thursday afternoon (US time), shipped Friday morning. Should be here 1-2 weeks hopefully.

Denon D7000 pads are 100mm, should fit alright. Now just to find some off a Headfier :)

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #2,415 of 11,345

Quote:
What are people using to drive these 'phones? Do they require amping?

They seem to work pretty well out of any amp that has a reasonable amount of power.  If you want to maximize sound quality, get a muscular amp with a low output impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back