Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 31, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #47 of 11,345
I am currently listening to my new pair of T50RPs. Thanks a bunch to the OP of this thread for cluing me in to these headphones. I had been looking for several months now for a new pair but couldn't decide until I read about these, then I knew I had to try them. So far I like what I'm hearing. Transparent and revealing are two terms that come to mind, but I will wait a while before writing much about the sound so that the burning in, both real and imaginary can take place first.

Thanks also to SameDayMusic.com for not only a great price (all three Fostex models are on sale through this weekend) and, even with the free shipping option, they arrived here two days after I ordered them. This is the second time I have ordered from them and been happy both times. I'm not associated with them in any way etc. just wanted to pass along the info for anyone looking for a good online seller.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #48 of 11,345
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently listening to my new pair of T50RPs. Thanks a bunch to the OP of this thread for cluing me in to these headphones. I had been looking for several months now for a new pair but couldn't decide until I read about these, then I knew I had to try them. So far I like what I'm hearing. Transparent and revealing are two terms that come to mind, but I will wait a while before writing much about the sound so that the burning in, both real and imaginary can take place first.

Thanks also to SameDayMusic.com for not only a great price (all three Fostex models are on sale through this weekend) and, even with the free shipping option, they arrived here two days after I ordered them. This is the second time I have ordered from them and been happy both times. I'm not associated with them in any way etc. just wanted to pass along the info for anyone looking for a good online seller.

Haha, seconded. Listening to my new T50RP's right now, and I am liking what I hear. Ordered from samedaymusic on wed, got here fri. $59 and free shipping? Sweet.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #49 of 11,345
Mine costed me the double and maybe more if I get to pay taxes. Hopefully it´s worth it though
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #50 of 11,345
At Grado SR-60 prices, it would be criminal not to give what was until just recently the only line of isodynamic/orthodynamic headphones still in production a try.

It's still the only affordable line. Glad to hear some of you are making happy discoveries.

That online retailer seems to be out of the T50RP, but there's still T20s and T40s to be had. Hint: go for the T40. They sell "non-new" ones at a discount. Interesting.

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #51 of 11,345
wualta, I might get a chance to listen to the T40RPs tomorrow. Will report back in the ortho thread on sound if I do, even though I guess you already have one.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #53 of 11,345
Looks like some Fostex rep might have made a couple dozen sales with this thread
wink.gif

mine arrive next week

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #54 of 11,345
A quick question on differences between the T50RP and T40RP MkII, both the newest ones. I ordered the last pair of blemished T40RPMkIIs from SameDayMusic yesterday, but also asked another vendeor for a price match on a pair of T50RP's. That vendor replied to me today, and will actually beat the price that SameDayMusic had the T50RPs for. So, my question: are the T50RPs significantly better than the T40RPMkII's? If so, it would be worth getting the T50RPs instead, so if someone can give me a definitive answer to this in the next day, that would be great, because I am sure that SameDayMusic will be looking to ship these out tomorrow. Thanks.

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #55 of 11,345
Damn i really need to try one of these...

Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At Grado SR-60 prices, it would be criminal not to give what was until just recently the only line of isodynamic/orthodynamic headphones still in production a try.

It's still the only affordable line. Glad to hear some of you are making happy discoveries.

What's the other line please?

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #58 of 11,345
Got mine today. How is these with break in?

I tried them with Lorenna McKennits The books of secrets album first and I got like crazed out. THIS IS THE BEST HEADPHONES EVER! Was like I never really listened to that album. Then I tried some Madonna and Dire Straits and there they wheren´t as spot on. Quite unique signature so will take some time getting used to. They have issues with their bass response though seems like they really struggle the lower it gets which hurts some tunes. Things get muted. I am quite impressed by it´s soundstaging being closed with decent isolation and all. It has no problem with depth. May even beat the K701 in that area so no way I am getting these off my head anytime soon to check
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #59 of 11,345
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got mine today. How is these with break in?

I tried them with Lorenna McKennits The books of secrets album first and I got like crazed out. THIS IS THE BEST HEADPHONES EVER! Was like I never really listened to that album. Then I tried some Madonna and Dire Straits and there they wheren´t as spot on. Quite unique signature so will take some time getting used to. They have issues with their bass response though seems like they really struggle the lower it gets which hurts some tunes. Things get muted. I am quite impressed by it´s soundstaging being closed with decent isolation and all. It has no problem with depth. May even beat the K701 in that area so no way I am getting these off my head anytime soon to check
wink.gif

They are much better with burn in..

They sound good don't they , even in stock form..yeah the lower octaves are a bit lacking but overall they have great cohesion across the frequency range.

Once you get accustomed to the sound signature, say a few weeks, come over to the orthodynamic thread and we'll help you get into the fine art of tuning orthodynamic headphones such as these..tune it to your ears.

ANd I've said it time and again, these will easily beat out the K701s (at least one K701 owner agreed unequivocally)..just need some modding which we will get to later...

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #60 of 11,345
Classical and such they generally do a decent job with at least what I seen so far. Currently listening to James Horner. I promise I will stop spamming this thread for a while later... But the soundstaging it truly is spectacular! I am now on the party the lower class had in the Titanic. I am really there. I really have to watch some movies with this one.

But I shouldn´t hope to much for the bass coming? Where it´s supposed to be dramatic there is kind of an anticlimax each time?

Modding will have to come later when I got to know them better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back